Lower screen

Rich said:
Chav websites are a fabulous resource for painting and attaching-things-problems....
:D

Oh deary me....

Get one of these...
burberry%20cap.jpg

To make yourself a GS equiv of
burberry-bike.jpg

:eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

;) :p ;)

On the topic of noise, I've looked into this for some time now. My current thoughts are that the number of irregularly angled structures in the path of the wind contribute significantly to the noise.

For example, there's the instrument panel, the oil cooler and the gaps around it, the angular beak shape, the fluid reservoirs etc etc. Plus the screen itself is very angular.

This is quite different to the 1150, which has some significant differences i.e. a smother profile on the handlebar attachments, plus the curved silver plate behind the screen.

Touratech do a metal plate to fit behind the 1200 screen. I'd be interested if anyone has fitted this and if it made any difference to the noise levels.

If I'm right on the causes of the noise, i dont think there'll be much that can be done about it other than less angular screen, beak and smoothing of other bits that stick into the airflow.

Andy

I think your right Andy. I've ridden screenless and its damn noisy and blasty. I have the TT plate, but not ridden with that off and no screen. I think I'll draw a line at dismantling the bike further for experimentation.

What I dont understand, well I do from what you say I guess, is why it feels worse than a 'normal' naked bike. All the odd shapes as you say. Not that I've ridden a lot of naked bikes fat, just a few relatively slowly.

Well folks.

I have done it too! (more pictures: click HERE

23260867-L.jpg

23260870-L.jpg

23260883-O.jpg

I cut a good 12 cm off the top. Not with a power tool, but simply with a figure saw! Worked like a charm, and almost no sanding / polishing afterwards.

I will post a riders report as soon as I made some KM's with this set up.

Thanks for the inspiration Joker!

Figure saw, aye?! Good thinking! :)

Looks really cool - let us know how you get on with it!

:beerjug:

Due to this post I tried this as well. Seeing how this was done gave me the nerve to give it a try. Also installed tobenators. Now the screen is smaller and more raked back. No more buffeting. It's perfect for those of us that like a little wind but don't want to brace yourself against a direct wind blast. The airflow now hits me high in the chest rather that taking the full flow with your head.

I'll post pics soon. Just added carben fiber front beak and had grips. Also CF side tank covers. This thing looks HOT!!!

cadave

Hi folks

On the Dutch GS forum, someone suggested to paint the screen black. Well... they photoshopped me a little bnige

But I think I am going to follow up on this one!

zoiets.jpg

Cadave: Cool - we want pictures and riding opinions! :D:D:D

Krusty The Clown: Not a bad idea! I'd like to see some pics before trying it myself, but I have been toying with the thought of painting a part of the screen black...

Hmmmm ideas ideas... :D

Well folks Whaddaya recon??

I have first expirimented with a black self adhesive foil, to see what it would look like in black.

This is how it looks in the original way:

23268719-M.jpg

This is how it looks in black

23800103-M.jpg

Complete foto series can be found over here

Well :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I have also done a bit of cutting. Kind of like it better this way.

screen1.jpg

Mike_swe said:
I have also done a bit of cutting. Kind of like it better this way.

screen1.jpg

That looks quite "factory" - a bit like mine, but a bit lower, it seems..? :) :D

ex-cruise-me said:
Well folks Whaddaya recon??

This is how it looks in black

23800103-M.jpg

Complete foto series can be found over here

Well :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I think it looks better in black :D for a better finish, spray the inside of the screen black, leaving the exposed external part shiney new :)

They look like KTM Duke mirrors

I've got them on the Buell and they work v well

:moped:

TheJoker said:
That looks quite "factory" - a bit like mine, but a bit lower, it seems..? :) :D

Yes it does, doesn't it? :D
Same height as yours but a bit wider. It kind of mirrors the shape of The Beak.

Yes it is Duke mirrors.

The job is done!

I spray painted it at the back. The Primer was not invisible as suggested by the retailer, but what the heck. The "speckled gray" now gives it a bit of a pearl shine to it. I like it!

24569003-M-1.jpg

24569005-M.jpg

24569000-M.jpg

Oh how it shines !!

24569004-M.jpg

...........and I got crucified for fitting a "matt aluminium" hugger?

Good looking ride "ex"...

ex-cruise-me said:
The job is done!

I spray painted it at the back. The Primer was not invisible as suggested by the retailer, but what the heck. The "speckled gray" now gives it a bit of a pearl shine to it. I like it!

That looks quite cool! :D I love the "strange" shine :D Awesome! :)

Mike_swe : Do the mirrors work better than standard. I find i have to move forward to look at my blind spot, and would dearly love to have mirrors that give 'wider' vision. i.e. long rectangular, rather than round.

Back
Top Bottom