Places to stay etc - Cork & Galway

Tobers

Reaction score
5 or 6 of us are coming over at the end of June on the bikes. We plan to stay a couple of nights in Cork and 3 nights in Galway.

1) is this advisable - are they nice places or dumps (I hear they are very nice by the way) or are there better spots to base ourselves?

2) any recommendations for decent b&bs in either place? Secure bike parking would be good, near to a pub (or in a pub!), nice view of the sea, good food, lovely waitresses.....

3) good places to explore in the area, not to miss etc. We are likely to repeat our "extreme biker fishermen" exploits of last year on the Scottish west coast so will be after some out of the way tracks to deserted beaches teaming with large fish waiting to be caught, and no seals this time please.

4) green lanes, forest tracks etc? Nothing too arduous as some of our lot wont have been off road before (on purpose!)

5) we're coming into Rosslare from Fishguard. Is London > Fishguard > Rosslare > Cork do-able in a day, or should we kip in Rosslare (or Fishguard)

Thanks in advance for all help etc.

Andy

West Cork is the business as is the end of Dingle in county Kerry.

I could set you up with some good riding if you like...

Galway, been once, not as good, but still good...

I am biased by the way...

When I was a kid my dad had a factory in Clonakilty, Co. Cork. On our trips over there we used to stay at the Emmet. I went back there a couple of years ago and was not disappointed.

http://www.emmethotel.com/

It's no 5-star, but is exactly what you would expect in a nice Irish backwater like Clonakilty.

Mike

Just edited my post...

Clonakilty is good but furtehr west and it just gets better...

Leave your GPS at home, unless you need a true speedo for the police checks....

richie said:
Clonakilty is good but furtehr west and it just gets better...
Agreed 100%. We used to camp in a little hamlet called Ahakista in Dunmanus bay. 25 people. 2 pubs. Paradise.

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse....=0&scale=500000&multimap.x=263&multimap.y=119
http://www.ahakista.com/

What makes it stand out now is the memorial to the Air India bombing. The memorial is on the very field/beach that we used to camp in.
http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2000/06/24/current/ipage_2.htm

Mike

Hi Tobers

This is a good site for friendly comfortable B&B's

Here

Doing London to Cork in a day depends on a lot on the time of your ferry. London to Fishguard is about 255 miles with a further 125 from Rosslare to Cork.

What time is your ferry leaving Fishguard?

London to Cork in a day is no problem as long as you don't hang around and also try and get on a speed ferry.

I've done Belgium to Cork in a day. 5 am start chunnel tunnel.... Fishgaurd Rosslare on about 1500 ferry. Then Cork

OK here is my idea for your trip to Ireland. IMHO the south west is the place to be so I've missed out Galway. Sorry to anyone who disagrees with this.

Day 1. London to Cork. Ask ferguscawley to recommend a place to stay and drink. If you just want to kip and have a few beers I like the rochestown inn which is where Fergus and me had a drink last time we met.
Day 2. Cork to Schull. I'd stay in the independant youth hostel which is the buisnes and has private rooms if you want. Half the price of a B+B and you come and go as you please...
Day 3. Schull to Allihies. I'd stay either in B+B or the Hostel. Allihies is where I live and I'll be there. It is the best village in ireland with four pubs. I would recommend you stay two nights there as on the day your there I'll have a day off and take you for a blast you won't forget. And If the fish are there you'll catch them.
Day 4 . Rideout with Richie no luggage. All day plus fishing.
Day 5. Allihies to Dingle. Again Hostel or B+B. This will enable you to see the end of Dingle which is Dunquin where Ryans Daughter was filmed. BEUTIFULL.
Day 6. Back to Roslare.

If this idea is appealing to you Tobers I will even send you all the roads and places that I'd recommend you to see. But that would take a bit of time and scanning. Unless someone knows a good website for route planning that works in Ireland.

Again sorry to any of the lads from Clare and Galway. No offence meant, it's just so easy to ride to much on not so good roads coz you've decided you need to get somewhere.

Andy

You've got some good advice here, none from me though:p

a question

When you rode a proper bike (Aprilia RSV) distance was no problem, Alps trip 2003 a prime example:)

So now you ride a bike built for distance, comfy seat the full hit, how come the trips are Scotland last year and Ireland this year?

what is going on!

Thinking about remortgaging our houses and doin a world trip up here, planning to buy AK's from the Russian Mob to shoot Black Bears, bring back some Baltic whores to sell to the boys back home, i.e the full deal
:beerjug:

we are warming up with a Seal clubbing trip to North West Scotland which will double up as a shake down test for the Beemer and further our quest to find the buffeting (where ever it maybe)

later

GS aka Redrsvr

I'm in cork, give a shout a while before you get here and we'll organise a good route and some nice places to stay, and a few good sessions. West Cork can be very nice riding. Give a shout in a week or so ! On the piss at the moment.The west coast of Ireland is a lovely place for touring.

Many thanks for the advice guys, especially Richie with the detail on the SW end of the country.

Sounds like a plan is forming, which will be slightly confused by the fact that there is another Richie in our group (RicheS who posts here too).

I would be delighted to take you up on your offer Richie. No great rush at the moment unless you think it is wise to get booked in to places early. What do you think?

As for GulpStella (great handle Steve), I cant really answer that one other than to say that doing those miles on the GS is far more comfortable, and I wouldn't want to do the Alps for a while otherwise I know I'd embarass all those sports bike riders there - best to wait until I get a bit older and slower :D

Any more ideas etc, just dump them on this thread.

Cheers

Andy

Andy

I will email you a route (powerpoint file) that myself and a few others are planning in May - Cork - Glengarriff - Dingle - Galway .

PM me your email address - can't seem to email you.

Ferg

Ireland

Right boys.

As already mentioned by Tobers, i am one of the mad(?) crowd attending this bash. Apart from routes (which i am trusting to you lot and Tobers), are the standard road type tyres ok or do i (we)need something a bit more serious? Heard the roads down that neck of the woods are not to great.

Apart from that, expect to see us there with plenty of Guiness tokens in hand.

Thanks for all the info thus far. Keep it coming

RichieS:D

Back
Top Bottom