Explorer 1200 XC as of today....

Dozer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Gents, Ive just sold my GSA and as of today I am the proud (I hope) owner of a Khaki green, 1215cc, Explorer XC, 10 months old, with 3500 miles on it.

As its my first ever Trifle, what do I need to know?

Stonking engine by the way.....

has it had all the recall work done ?. particularly the new head and ECU

Fairs fair, when Triumph have been fitting the revised cylinder head, they've been changing the entire centre stand if the existing one has any stone chip marks on it and the entire silencer if the stainless steel isn't sparkling (even though any "stain" washes off easily with Muc Off) . To be equally fair, Triumph have not had to issue a notice not to ride any of their 1200's yet.... ;)

Enjoy, I am on my 2nd, a launch model and and now an XC. so have done about 17K miles with them, and still think they are awesome.
Andrew

Good choice :D I`ve a '12 TEX owned from new. Great service from the dealers and Triumph re the head and ECU. I did a 2500 mile trip last year in Europe on mine and it was excellent :D Givi Trekker boxes are my luggage of choice

I like these alot and nearly purchased on two separate occasions. I really like the focus on tidyness for the engine layout. However, I found the front suspension to be too harsh after the TC GS and the throttle was far too light. I am waiting to see what the 2015 Tex will be like - early news is that it will have electronic suspension, power modes and 10Kgs less weight.

I think Triumph have had a rethink on the warranty side, maybe the previous manger has left or been told to stop being a twat, i'll ask next month as I'm on the factory tour.
I had a new street triple R in 09 and it was a runt, paint , brakes fecked ,it even rev'ed up when turning right for feks sake so I threw it back. Then heard about the Bonnie shit with the spokes, then the 1st poor bastards who got fobbed off with their rattling top ends on the Explorer :mad:
Well it appears all change, I spoke to a guy the other night who had the "upgrade" letter as did his mate on his 18m old bike, went to the dealer who gave them a new EXP to play on, their bikes went back to the factory and had, new ECU, new heads, new shaft, all tarnished fasteners replaced and they even fixed any scratches on the paintwork all FOC, now who else does that :nenau
maybe they have realised if they look after their customers they will get brand loyalty and with the now considerable power of the tinternet and forums a little bit of an issue is broadcast high and wide (as demo'ed on here :D) By the way the guy was a Harley salesman :D
Well I've ordered an EXP as I have always liked Triumph but did not like their attitude to warranty issues (taking shit dealers out of the equation)
Hope I will be right to go back to the Trumpet brand

i have a 2014 exc with 7000miles on it got it from triumph birmingham,just under 4 months ago,went for a ride the other day,parked up for a hour came back,no start,just a click.4 days later triumph picked the bike up,friday i gets to the shop to be told the bike with 7000miles has had a hydraulic failure ?
how do i stand ,i do not want a recon engine or any other work carried out on the knackered one,i want a brand new one fitted.what would you do.
my mrs said she will not get on the bike because it could have seized as we were riding along.

i have a 2014 exc with 7000miles on it got it from triumph birmingham,just under 4 months ago,went for a ride the other day,parked up for a hour came back,no start,just a click.4 days later triumph picked the bike up,friday i gets to the shop to be told the bike with 7000miles has had a hydraulic failure ?
how do i stand ,i do not want a recon engine or any other work carried out on the knackered one,i want a brand new one fitted.what would you do.
my mrs said she will not get on the bike because it could have seized as we were riding along.

Don't ask us, ask Triumph

Surely they will provide the answers to your questions

I think you will be very lucky to get a complete new bike or new engine

If you do, Triumph will charge you a proportion for the 7000 miles you have travelled so far

i do not want a new bike ,i want a new engine.
whats wrong with asking advise ??
i am the second owner ,i had it with 5000miles on it.

You probably will end up with a new engine as this is likely to be the quickest and cheapest option for Triumph. However, I would suggest you give them a hand in focussing their attention on your bike by insisting that either Triumph or the dealer supplying you with a replacement like for like bike whilst they decide what they are going to do about yours :comfort

engine sieze

i have been told on Friday,today Monday ,triumph will be loaning me another 1200 until mine is sorted,dan at triumph Birmingham will be collecting it from triumph and contacting me later today.watch this space.

It seems like you have received decent service from Dan so far :clap

I don't the chap personally but I know people who have had dealings with him and they say he is a good egg :thumb2

triumph exc

ok,got hold of the loan bike today Tuesday,asked regarding my bike,i spoke to the mechanic Stuart he explained what had happened when i returned to them.
he said to get it started again they rocked it back and forward and it started for a split second,then he stopped it,he recons without the engine been striped to him its cam chain problems :augie
then i am told by Dan the only time they can fit it in is the first week of July :eek:
after a few choice words i said this was not good enough as i have planed a holiday the second week in July around Europe,that's what the bike was purchased for in the first place.
i then asked for a contact number for triumph,and given a guys name and i will be in touch with him tomorrow,as will Dan to see if they can do any better :augie
more tomorrow.:augie

then i am told by Dan the only time they can fit it in is the first week of July :eek:
after a few choice words i said this was not good enough as i have planed a holiday the second week in July around Europe,that's what the bike was purchased for in the first place.
i then asked for a contact number for triumph,and given a guys name and i will be in touch with him tomorrow,as will Dan to see if they can do any better :augie
more tomorrow.:augie

This could be a difficult one. There is no reason why the dealer can't get the bike back to the factory for them to carry out any work. I had the factory replace the crankcases on my Rocket III because the dealer couldn't do the work

If you are going to stand your ground, insist on having a new engine and Triumph agree, there may not be enough time to replace the motor, run it in and get the first service done before you leave for your trip? If you decide to have a repair done and it is just the camchain then this will not need any running in time :comfort

Back
Top Bottom