Shark Explore-R Dualsport Helmet?

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
New out this year, anyone got one?

http://www.shark-helmets.com/produc...Division&code_gamme=DISCO&code_sous_gamme=EXP

Tried one on today and feels great, very comfy and good vision

Need some opinions in use, if possible

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N0fnF_vn1t8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Come with googles, visor and multiple wearable options

What are SHARK helmets like in general?

Any good?

Attachments

• shark_explore_r.jpg
    shark_explore_r.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,448
Interested to hear of anyone's too

Interested to hear of anyone's too

Felt really good in the shop, plush and with good vision and converts to visor in seconds

The goggles are bespoke to the helmet and fit the aperture to a tee, so I doubt any water/spray/flies/grit would enter that area...................unlike a normal MX Helmet with Scott goggles

Has internal sunvisor too

Being Carbon, it was very light at 1300g

They also had the Tour X4 and I tried that alongside and the Shark felt nearly as plush

What about the visor? In the pics, it looks a little like an after thought...

What about the visor? In the pics, it looks a little like an after thought...

Looks fine, much like the ones on the Shark roadbike helmets next to it

They have an anti fog coating and an anti mist setting thing on the helmet too

Plus they do an proper Pinlock equipped visor too, as an upgrade accessory

The attraction for me maybe, is that you can use it as a full face for the long A & M/Way rides or in heavy rain, then if you hit the B roads, whip off the visor, add the peak and use the goggles for the B roads and slower speeds, or offroad...... just keep them handy in the topbox/pannier

Especially abroad...... when it's really hot and you need plenty of air etc, plus you can use it with the peak and just the internal sunvisor, no goggles too

The goggles are double skinned so don't fog up, working like a Pinlock

Cool - could be a really alternative to my BM Enduro lid...

I have a Shark Hakka. It's a Road flip lid but well balanced and not too noisy. Less claustrophobic than a Schuberth flip.

Sent from a widget that can't spell.

I've been using a shark full face on my road bike for the past 5-6 years, good quality and no complaints, will probably go for another when I replace my current lid, good value for money in my opinion.

I'm having problems with my glasses misting when wearing my Shoei GT Air. I previously wore RX prescription inserts in goggles with my Shoei Hornet so I've been considering doing the same with a Shark Vancore.

casco-shark-vancore_02.jpg

I'm having problems with my glasses misting when wearing my Shoei GT Air. I previously wore RX prescription inserts in goggles with my Shoei Hornet so I've been considering doing the same with a Shark Vancore.

casco-shark-vancore_02.jpg

Can you tell me about the RX inserts, please ?

Not familiar

From what I can deduce, I gather you prefer goggles to a visor in your Hornet, am I correct in that thinking

If so, are the goggles ok at keeping rain/grit/flies out and is the airflow ok?

Can you tell me about the RX inserts, please ?

RX inserts - http://www.bikersoracle.com/gs/forum/showthread.php?t=1142

From what I can deduce, I gather you prefer goggles to a visor in your Hornet, am I correct in that thinking

Sometimes..... :)

If so, are the goggles ok at keeping rain/grit/flies out and is the airflow ok?

I've got Scott goggles, Oakley Crowbar goggles and Alpina goggles. They all fit and work well with both my Hornet and my Tour X. I tend to seal everything off in my Hornet thus....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541419

attachment.php

Mike, tell me a bit more about goggles

I am intrigued why you would use them, instead of the stock Pinlock equipped Visor

Do you use goggles with glasses? I suspect not

I had a good look at the Shark yesterday and initially thought it was a bit of a crazy idea, but the more I think about it, the more I get it

Full face for the fast bits

Goggles for the B roads etc and trails

The Shark Explorer is a very well thought out system and I've done a fair of research on the Shark VisionR which is the same shell, which comes out well in reviews

Mike, tell me a bit more about goggles

I am intrigued why you would use them, instead of the stock Pinlock equipped Visor

Do you use goggles with glasses? I suspect not

Initially, I got into using goggles for riding in hot climates, i.e. the California and other US desert areas. I had fond notions of the cool air flowing around my face and it took me back to the early days of my motorcycling on a Ducati single with an open face lid and Stadium Silver Cross goggles. Of course when the ambient temperature is up around 104 - 106 deg F, then the air that's flowing isn't exactly cool. After a painful experience, somewhere in Oregon, with a large bug which somehow got over the top of the GS screen and then made a direct hit between my goggles and the chin bar on my Tour X, I decided to do something about closing the gap. Hence the Scorpion breathbox mod to my Hornet. I used to wear goggles over light titanium framed glasses. My Scott goggles worked reasonably well with those. Note that you can also buy Scott OTG (over-the-glasses) goggles. However, I then progressed to using RX inserts which carry a prescription lens and fit in the goggles, as detailed in the Bikers Oracle GS forum link above. This is a much better solution since you don't have to manoeuvre goggles over glasses and I've never experienced misting of the lenses in the RX inserts.

The other thing about goggles was that it in the absence of a helmet with a drop-down dark visor, they allowed me to use clear goggles and a dark visor on Tour X or Hornet. That was particularly useful when riding through thick forest in otherwise hot sunny climates such as you get in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'd need a dark visor to save being blinded on the Pacific coast but on the way there down various goat tracks, I'd flip it up and view the world through my RX equipped goggles. Similarly when using a dark Pinlock in a light smoke visor on my Hornet riding from Indiana to Colorado and Utah a few years ago, when it got dark, I'd flip up the visor and pull on my RX equipped goggles with clear or photochromic lenses.

As to why goggles in preference to a Pinlock equipped visor: a) a Pinlock does nothing to stop my glasses misting up which is a source of continual annoyance to me; b) I've had failed Pinlocks in torrential downpours, particularly on the Tour X and Hornet but also on my GT Air. I've then had to open the visor further than is desirable and only succeeded in blinding myself with rain on my spectacles. None of this would be an issue, had I not found it necessary to start wearing glasses for riding and driving about 6 years ago. :cool:

Last year, I got tired of the vibration, buffeting and blurred vision which was a feature of wearing a peaked lid on a R1200 GS and I bought a Shoei GT Air. I've still not got round to wearing my Hornet when I'm riding the new *Glitterbike* which has considerably better aerodynamics than any of my previous four 1200s. So it may be time to go back to the Hornet.

Which is all a pretty long-winded way of saying that I haven't yet found a setup which works in all circumstances.

Initially, I got into using goggles for riding in hot climates, i.e. the California and other US desert areas. I had fond notions of the cool air flowing around my face and it took me back to the early days of my motorcycling on a Ducati single with an open face lid and Stadium Silver Cross goggles. Of course when the ambient temperature is up around 104 - 106 deg F, then the air that's flowing isn't exactly cool. After a painful experience, somewhere in Oregon, with a large bug which somehow got over the top of the GS screen and then made a direct hit between my goggles and the chin bar on my Tour X, I decided to do something about closing the gap. Hence the Scorpion breathbox mod to my Hornet. I used to wear goggles over light titanium framed glasses. My Scott goggles worked reasonably well with those. Note that you can also buy Scott OTG (over-the-glasses) goggles. However, I then progressed to using RX inserts which carry a prescription lens and fit in the goggles, as detailed in the Bikers Oracle GS forum link above. This is a much better solution since you don't have to manoeuvre goggles over glasses and I've never experienced misting of the lenses in the RX inserts.

The other thing about goggles was that it in the absence of a helmet with a drop-down dark visor, they allowed me to use clear goggles and a dark visor on Tour X or Hornet. That was particularly useful when riding through thick forest in otherwise hot sunny climates such as you get in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'd need a dark visor to save being blinded on the Pacific coast but on the way there down various goat tracks, I'd flip it up and view the world through my RX equipped goggles. Similarly when using a dark Pinlock in a light smoke visor on my Hornet riding from Indiana to Colorado and Utah a few years ago, when it got dark, I'd flip up the visor and pull on my RX equipped goggles with clear or photochromic lenses.

As to why goggles in preference to a Pinlock equipped visor: a) a Pinlock does nothing to stop my glasses misting up which is a source of continual annoyance to me; b) I've had failed Pinlocks in torrential downpours, particularly on the Tour X and Hornet but also on my GT Air. I've then had to open the visor further than is desirable and only succeeded in blinding myself with rain on my spectacles. None of this would be an issue, had I not found it necessary to start wearing glasses for riding and driving about 6 years ago. :cool:

Last year, I got tired of the vibration, buffeting and blurred vision which was a feature of wearing a peaked lid on a R1200 GS and I bought a Shoei GT Air. I've still not got round to wearing my Hornet when I'm riding the new *Glitterbike* which has considerably better aerodynamics than any of my previous four 1200s. So it may be time to go back to the Hornet.

Which is all a pretty long-winded way of saying that I haven't yet found a setup which works in all circumstances.

Many thanks Mike:thumby:

Very comprehensive reply and something along my own views

The Shark, is interesting to me as it is a normal full face (Shark Vision R), but one you can add a peak too and googles/or sunvisor when you arrive in the Alps and the weather is considerably warmer

The googles/peak are easy to carry and swap over in 10 seconds and similar to you breathbox, the Shark aperture was completely filled by their own branded goggles

Thanks for your views

I had serious misting problems with the Shuberth and BMW helmets but very little with the Shark. None have pin locks.
I wear glasses so appreciate the rain drops and misting issues.

Sent from a widget that can't spell.

Anyone been using the explorer through the summer how does it rate any thoughts!

bEw15UE.jpg

This is my explore-r with a gold iridium visor.
It's a very light, comfortable helmet but ventilation is probably it's weakest point. In cold weather the visor fogs quite a bit, if I am still using it next winter I will get a pinlock for it. Shark do an adaptor (an afterthought) to allow you to use the visor and the peak together, I am trying to get my hands on one of these before my trip to the Alps in June.

Update......... Shark part number for the adaptor is FX5950p and they seem to be about €10

Back
Top Bottom