Beware BMW (Devitt) Insurance

Pughy

Reaction score
I got my renewal quote from BMW Insurance for my 1200 GSA, it looked expensive and indeed it was I saved £165 with Bennett insurance. Despite telling BMW I wouldn't be renewing (twice) they have sent me new policy documents and have tried to DD the monthly policy cost from my account. No doubt they will try and charge me fir cancelling it!!! Watch this space
:blast

I got my renewal quote from BMW Insurance for my 1200 GSA, it looked expensive and indeed it was I saved £165 with Bennett insurance. Despite telling BMW I wouldn't be renewing (twice) they have sent me new policy documents and have tried to DD the monthly policy cost from my account. No doubt they will try and charge me fir cancelling it!!! Watch this space
:blast

I left them a few years ago when the price suddenly jumped greatly. Insurance companies are crooks IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm surprised BMW are putting yours down, as I found them to be the most expensive out of all the insurance companies

Yep I got a little caught with Devitt.

I insured through them last November when the insurance was due on my 750 Dorsoduro. £100 for the premium. At the end of Feb 2014 I changed for a 2013 GSA and Devitt wanted an extra £290 premium to insure for the remaining 8 months. So I cancelled. Even though I only had the policy for 4 months I still had to pay a £30 charge.

Never had any issues with Devitt and they are as competitive as everyone else at renewal time:thumb2

It's not Devitt anymore.
It's Equity Red Star now.

To be fair, I've been insured through BMW for a few years now. There is way much less BS involved than through Bennets (previous broker).
My premium came down for a couple of years (one bike), then "plateau'd" and, magically, every other insurer was giving me the same exact price, including the yearly increase. I kept two bikes on the policy (same price) for the last year.
Since I was confortable with the premium I managed to change one of the bikes with something that pushed up the price horribly :D but I've had the first quote when it was still Devitts last month and then I got the policy renewed last week, with Red Star, and they kept the same price (and one of the bikes is still insured on the VIN number). No complaints there.

It's not Devitt anymore.

Yes it is, i am looking at the paperwork now [BMW Motorrad insurance is arranged by Devitt insurance services Ltd]
and they have gone back to Equity Red Star from alliance.

I was with devitt da years ago , halfway through the year their insurer decided to cease doing multi bike policies, they cancelled my policy, transferred it onto my main bike then sent a letter telling me the other two bikes were now uninsured.
Vowed never to deal with them from then onwards

I always do a price comparison for all insurances using at least 2 different sites. And usually about a month before renewal date to get a feeler. Then I do the same a few days beforeexpiry. I have yet to find my existing provider to be cheaper, so I always change. Bike just been insured with De Vitts, cheapest and cover is very good. PS, look at the total policy cost, not the monthly premium and sometimes the third provider is actually cheaper overall.

I’ve just renewed with BMW (Equity Red Star) having initially thought the renewal figure to be too much of a jump from last year so I went off for comparison quotes...

Plenty of insurers initially quoted less on the comparison websites, but when it came to discussing ‘accessories’ the figures suddenly racked up - and with little correlation between the item and the increase - so in the end it was simpler to just renew with BMW.

It’s a minefield out there...

R

I've been with Bmw insurance for quite some while and often add another bike to the policy which has always been at a decent price.

I put my 1100gs on the road a couple of weeks ago and rang to add it to my policy,the guy on the phone says "no problem that will be £156 to add it to your current policy".

I explain to him that there is only 5mnts left on the policy and that I only paid £129 to insure my present bike which is valued at 14k yet they now want £156pounds to add a 2k bike to the policy for 5mnts.

I tell him thanks but no thanks and start looking for other quotes,best I find is £86 for fully comp and a full 12 mnts.

Best of all it's with Devitt... the same bloody company.

I really have never understood how insurance works :nenau

Steve

I left BMW Insurance (with Equity Red Star) when I found that although I had renewed the same policy they had changed the wording to remove the entitlement to ride other bikes not owned by me. This was not pointed out to me, and perhaps I should have gone through and read every article, but I (naively!) sort of assumed the same policy would have the same cover as it had the year before. Of course I only found this out when I had a bad accident on a bike owned by my brother - I was fortunate to find that my car insurance did cover me for riding bikes not owned by me or I would have been in the brown and sticky. So recommend always reading through policy documents, even if renewing with the same company!

love the ring around game at renew time playing one of against the other, they never have an answer as to why the price can drop whencompared to a lower one

I was with BMW insurance for a number of years and was happy with the service and cost. When I bought a Ducati they would not cover it on a Multi bike policy. Having compared the market and spoken to all the usual insurers I ended back at Ducati Insurance who had all my details from my previous dealings with them about seven years before.

I'm with MCE, but will be leaving when next renewal.

Cheap price, but no accessories covered, and rubbish helmet/replacement bike cover.

If you want to cover the accessories (such as tank bag, top box etc) check your policy as MCE don't cover them as it's not standard as left the factory....

I called to ask how much to get some wunderlich lights and engine protection Bats on the policy, they said they don't insure any extras at all...

Back
Top Bottom