BEARING RETENTION COMPOUNDS

jeff

Reaction score
]Wanted to put this in "font of all wisdom" but not allowed. so have put it here as its my bike section.

Have a Hitachi 9" angle grinder (G23SC2) with rear bearing failure (the cage has disintigrated allowing all the balls to run together
(bit like the timong side bearing (3) of my T140v before I replaced it with a lipped roller). Have dismantled the machine and have
sourced a new bearing and washers which hopefully are wending their way to Crete.

The bearing is housed on the plastic casing and green sealant was used. i believe this is a bearing retaining compound. Have googled locktite but there several bearing retaining products.

Can any engineers out there give me advice on what to use. Only want a small quantity as will prob not need it again. A loctite no would be helpful as I could possibly source it here without trying to explain what I want it for in Greek.

As a general point is this stuff used in modern bike engineering

I'm guessing that your best bet is a two part epoxy such as JB weld or similar but you really need to know what type of plastic makes up the housing to be sure

Have you used it to bond a bearing to plastic ?

Just love these "challenging" posts................ :rolleyes:

Instead of saying "Loctite may have an effect on some plastics" or similar, followed by a bit of reasoning.

Al

Just love these "challenging" posts................ :rolleyes:
now
Instead of saying "Loctite may have an effect on some plastics" or similar, followed by a bit of reasoning.

Al

I don't believe loctite or similar is meant to adhere metal to plastic hence why I suggested two part epoxy Plastic is by nature very smooth and as such provides little purchase for glues When attempting to glue to plastic it helps to know what type of plastic it is The environment will also be a factor eg grease/temperature etc

It's not a case of "knowing better" - It's avoiding the "challenging" posts.

With low-yield bearing-fit, I've never had to use anything more than light pressure with a screwdriver to remove the "cured" bearing fit from any material.

Al

It's not a case of "knowing better" - It's avoiding the "challenging" posts.

With low-yield bearing-fit, I've never had to use anything more than light pressure with a screwdriver to remove the "cured" bearing fit from any material.

Al

Maybe I read the op wrong It appeared that the bearing was to be secured in a plastic housing :confused:

My first thought as I have always had good results with Araldite when other so called super glues have failed. What put me off was would I be able to dis-assemble bearing if it needs renewing again?

Back
Top Bottom