Looking to buy an 1100GS - cheap. What issues

tiktok

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to pick up a cheap 1100GS after reading an article in MSL entitled "Pick up a BMW GS for under a grand".

Whilst the title is a tad misleading, it did pique my interest.

I am looking for a large adventure bike that I can use to introduce me to the world of greenlaning and offroading in the UK.

I have no preferences as to whether the bike is carbed or EFi, all I want is something mechanically sound that I can possibly bob over the winter. I won't do more than a couple of thousand miles per annum on the bike.

I am looking to spend up to £1500 (tight budgets keep it interesting).

///

What issues should I look for in a bike of that age?

I have done a search in this sub-forum, but the information is a bit sketchy.

1100 Far too heavy

As a beginner to off roading green laning unless your Superman or want a cheap DIY hernia

If you want one Go for a later model with the M97 gearbox

Look for corrosion particularly front of engine and exhausts

Oil leaks some easier than others to fix

Old rubber brake lines break down inside and can affect your well being.Check brakes are working and not dragging and ABS if fitted functions and hoses do not balloon under pressure

Check play in wheels and bearings particularly rear wheel and pivot bearings

If in doubt to save severe financial stress and heartache take someone along that knows their BM,s and what they are looking at

That will do for starters

I would say, out of all the bikes you pick to introduce to Green laning the 11GS is not the best bike you pick by any stretch.

1/4tonne of bike is one heluva lump to lug round particularly when it goes over which iot will at some point going offroad....
It is however good when you need to travel around a 100+ miles to do some green laning then ride back...
There are better bikes out there for your budget that will still allow you to do green laning on a budget and motorway miles, i'm thinking - F650 funduro or transalp.

I took my 1150GS up some really bumpy steep stuff yesterday...hard bloody work....the leanring curve was a steep as the incline I was trying to get up.
While they are out there I would say your looking at a neglected minger.

I would say, out of all the bikes you pick to introduce to Green laning the 11GS is not the best bike you pick by any stretch.

1/4tonne of bike is one heluva lump to lug round particularly when it goes over which iot will at some point going offroad....

I took my 1150GS up some really bumpy steep stuff yesterday...hard bloody work....the leanring curve was a steep as the incline I was trying to get up.
While they are out there I would say your looking at a neglected minger.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I realise the 1100 is not an ideal green lane machine. I just like them.

I am wanting something tatty so I can strip it down over the winter, fettle it, powder coat bits and have a rejuvenated bike for 2015.

That sound ambitious! - but good luck with the sourcing at build.]

This might inspire you...
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...e-as-BMW-forgot-to-do-one&highlight=gs+rallye
also look here for helpful info...
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...8;►-850-1100-1150-Oilhead-info-amp-tips

That's a nice rebuild, just the sort of thing I have in mind.

Sourcing the build will be the challenge, there does not seem to be much under £2000 at the moment.

I did this project the winter before last:

file-7.jpg

32838f4c-d8db-4081-b4d6-fe16f2871d84_zps3011fc3a.jpg

DSC_2083_zpsb62bfba4.jpg

It is a Blackbird, I px'd it last year when I bought a Road King. That has since been modified, but not to the same extent as the Sportster.

The RK is going to be a long term bike.

I had the painting done professionally, as was the powder coating and lacing of the wheels.

The final design, teardown, sourcing of parts, rebuild and rewiring is all my work.

First project bike.

I exchanged a few emails with the seller, he reckons he has been offered £1750 for it (as a non-runner) and he is holding out for something closer to the asking price.

My offer was a lot 'cheekier' than £1750...

I so wish I had the drive, skills and patience to do something like that my projects never seem to get finished....I have a 1942 lister 3hp engine and pump in my garage part started that I have had for about 8 years now I just keep carting round from house to house.....when I get around to it......

As the for 1150 good luck to him then, there is plenty of much nicer ones for near that money!

Well, I have done it. I found a GS that I liked the look and did a deal. I'll be picking it up on Thursday in time for a week up north messing about on the Cat & Fiddle and hopefully
some greenlanes.

I took the safe option and bought the bike from someone on here, they seem to have a good rep and the bike appears mechanically sound, but a bit tatty cosmetically. Just what I am after.

It's stock, a 2000 plate with 76k and a few extra bits. All in all, it seems fine.

First thing after picking it up, find some off-roading routes and people on here to go with..

Well, I have done it. I found a GS that I liked the look and did a deal. I'll be picking it up on Thursday in time for a week up north messing about on the Cat & Fiddle and hopefully
some greenlanes..

Cool...congrats

When are you up this way we might be able to meet up if you like the C&F is about an hr away from me, usually go up there for a quick ride when its quiet.

Back
Top Bottom