Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 18

Thread: Address?

  1. #1
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bideford, Devon
    Posts
    3,772

    Address?

    Apparently some people want to know the actual address of this event?

    Obviously, those who have been before SHOULD know their way but some of you seem to have forgotten....

    I don't want to post my actual address on here so please PM me if you need more details.

    Basically if you are coming from the north take the M5 south to Jn 27. Head up A361 to Barnstaple and then Bideford and then Stibb Cross.

    It will be signposted from The Union Inn pub at Stibb Cross.

  2. #2
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    cumbria, the real north west
    Posts
    5,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Crapaud View Post
    Apparently some people want to know the actual address of this event?

    Obviously, those who have been before SHOULD know their way but some of you seem to have forgotten....

    I don't want to post my actual address on here so please PM me if you need more details.

    Basically if you are coming from the north take the M5 south to Jn 27. Head up A361 to Barnstaple and then Bideford and then Stibb Cross.

    It will be signposted from The Union Inn pub at Stibb Cross.
    Well it wasn't signposted from the union inn, got there around 3.45pm, no sign posting to be seen, had a look around the lanes but no sign, asked in the pub, said there had been a few others ask the same thing that day, said that they thought you lived in Newton St petrock, but weren't sure, non of the drinkers knew you, had a look there in Newton st pet rock, and all the lanes again, nothing, waited at the crossroads thinking that someone would pass who knew the way, only seen 2 on airheads, but at the time I was being questioned by the local police, and I couldn't follow them, stopped anyone that I could see and asked, no one knew, never did get your phone number, gave up after having a drink in the pub, left for the 380 miles home at 7.45pm got home at 3.45am


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,263
    Mate you were like 3 minutes away... Feel sorry for you and making that drive. In the previous years there has always been a small white sign on the sign posts.....noticeable but only if you are looking for them.

  4. #4
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Loughborough
    Posts
    15,337
    Your bike looks great though (small consolation to try and make you feel better).

    You were indeed a few minutes away. I get lost every time I go. One of the lads slept under a bush on the second weekend.

  5. #5
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    cumbria, the real north west
    Posts
    5,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
    Your bike looks great though (small consolation to try and make you feel better).

    You were indeed a few minutes away. I get lost every time I go. One of the lads slept under a bush on the second weekend.
    Thanks, it performed impeccably, though I nearly dropped turning it around, due to the blustery winds, apart from an indicator issue, which is a bad connection, I figure between the fuse and the handlebar switch, the indicators don't work at times but the lights buzz but without flashing!

  6. #6
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Essex/Suffolk boarderlands
    Posts
    2,507
    so close and yet so far, personally i would have got a phone number or address before leaving or stayed on a coastal campsite for the night .
    can't believe you would take all that effort to travel down and not hung around till you found us.

    oh well at least the bike has had a good run
    <img src=http://www.ukgser.com/forums/images/smilies/motomartin.gif border=0 alt= title=Motomartin class=inlineimg />

  7. #7
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    cumbria, the real north west
    Posts
    5,225
    Quote Originally Posted by peepingtom View Post
    so close and yet so far, personally i would have got a phone number or address before leaving or stayed on a coastal campsite for the night .
    can't believe you would take all that effort to travel down and not hung around till you found us.

    oh well at least the bike has had a good run

    I made a mistake of taking someone's word that there would be signs and that the pub knew where it was, both wrong, I could not believe it was that much of a secret, WTF is the point of inviting people, then making it such a palaver and game to find the spot, it's not as if I didn't ask prior to attending, I hung around for about 4 hours, which was about 3 and 3/4 more than it should have took to find it from the pub, camping was not an option, as I didn't have a tent with me!

    It was a shame as I was looking forward to the weekend, the decision to head home was not taking lightly, especially after Riding 380 miles there, I can't say that I wasn't disappointed, it's a situation that never should have happened, and if that police car had not turned up I would of followed the two airhead gs's that past, but by the time I left I was angry, so wasn't in the mood to hang around, I hope everyone had a good weekend!

  8. #8
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    14,119
    Quote Originally Posted by ianboydsnr View Post
    I made a mistake of taking someone's word that there would be signs and that the pub knew where it was, both wrong, I could not believe it was that much of a secret, WTF is the point of inviting people, then making it such a palaver and game to find the spot, it's not as if I didn't ask prior to attending, I hung around for about 4 hours, which was about 3 and 3/4 more than it should have took to find it from the pub, camping was not an option, as I didn't have a tent with me!

    It was a shame as I was looking forward to the weekend, the decision to head home was not taking lightly, especially after Riding 380 miles there, I can't say that I wasn't disappointed, it's a situation that never should have happened, and if that police car had not turned up I would of followed the two airhead gs's that past, but by the time I left I was angry, so wasn't in the mood to hang around, I hope everyone had a good weekend!
    How did the folk who got there manage it then ?

    Are you certain that there were no signs ?

    The two occasions that I went there,I managed it easily enough....via the signs...the small signs that I was told would be at strategic points and hence I was looking for.

    Mind you,some fecker once spent a night in a ditch because of the lack of ten foot by eight foot motorway signs,flaming torches or a tour guide,so you're not the first I suppose.
    Bicycle riders.....Darwin's very own speed bumps.

  9. #9
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bideford, Devon
    Posts
    3,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Crapaud View Post
    Apparently some people want to know the actual address of this event?

    Obviously, those who have been before SHOULD know their way but some of you seem to have forgotten....

    I don't want to post my actual address on here so please PM me if you need more details.

    Basically if you are coming from the north take the M5 south to Jn 27. Head up A361 to Barnstaple and then Bideford and then Stibb Cross.

    It will be signposted from The Union Inn pub at Stibb Cross.
    Ian

    I am very sorry that you did not manage to make it all the way to our place.

    I admit that we were running behind schedule all morning on Friday as there were still numerous things to do to get everything ready. I managed to fall off a ladder and hurt my arms and left leg. The other newcomers followed my advice above and had contacted me for my details and I had given them my full address, post code, land line and mobile number. It was onlywhen Steve phoned me in the afternoon that I realised that we had forgotten to put the signposts out. That was ultimately my resposibility and I can only apologise that I hadn't noticed the time passing and that this task had been overlooked. The signs nearer to our house had been put out by some of the early arrivals but not the ones by the pub.

    I had to go out in the afternoon both to buy more supplies and to collect David Lees from the station. We stopped at the pub around 4.30 to 5.00 pm (not sure exactly as I wasn't wearing a watch) but didn't see you there. The main road back to Barnstaple was closed so we were diverted along back roads. We got back to the pub and put two signposts up. One on the side of the pub A4 size pointing right and another around the corner pointing right again.

    As we headed back towards Stibb Cross we passed you coming towards us and we recognised the bike as the late Pastyman's RT. I tried to signal to you but obviously you didn't know who the idiot waving to you from a green Bentley was.

    Roger Chatterton and one other mentioned that they had seen you at Stibb Cross talking to the Police but they assumed that you were OK as you did not signal to them.

    It is a new landlord at the pub but I don't think I said anywhere above that they would know about it.

    Hopefuuly see you next year.

    Sid

  10. #10
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Chesterfield Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,894
    Ian sorry you didnt make it to the event - It was a cracker as per normal
    Please blame no- one but yerself though as I sent you this pm - if you remember
    Copied off me sent folder
    hey up
    Sid dosent advertise his home on the web
    It is about 3 mile away from STIBBS CROSS
    there are A4 signs pointing the way fron near to the pub
    my numbers 07817227975 if yer get lost I am sure Sid will send yer a pm with a waypoint - may be an idea to get his STD number as the signal is poor toooooo
    Mick see yer there

    I didnt hear me phone ringing but it is in a poor reception area
    Good excuse for being the first to sign up for next years event - Get yer name down pal then ask for directions
    HTHY
    Mick

  11. #11
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    cumbria, the real north west
    Posts
    5,225
    Quote Originally Posted by MickDB1 View Post
    Ian sorry you didnt make it to the event - It was a cracker as per normal
    Please blame no- one but yerself though as I sent you this pm - if you remember
    Copied off me sent folder
    hey up
    Sid dosent advertise his home on the web
    It is about 3 mile away from STIBBS CROSS
    there are A4 signs pointing the way fron near to the pub
    my numbers 07817227975 if yer get lost I am sure Sid will send yer a pm with a waypoint - may be an idea to get his STD number as the signal is poor toooooo
    Mick see yer there

    I didnt hear me phone ringing but it is in a poor reception area
    Good excuse for being the first to sign up for next years event - Get yer name down pal then ask for directions
    HTHY
    Mick
    Yea I did remember that, I forgot to write down your number, I tried to get on the internet on my phone, tried in several places, to look it up, but the signal kept dropping,

    I did literally ride each road around there for miles, without any sign!
    And your right I should of chased up for the landline, but I assure you there were no A4 signs pointing the way, nor did they seem to know anyone called Sid in the pub,

    Next year I will make sure I get the land line number, but I did think that signs would be posted up, and it was not posted up for whatever reason, I did hold myself up for some of the blame, though to be fair, if you say your going to post signs up, and you don't then confusion will follow!

    Can I book next year cash on arrival

  12. #12
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Andover Hampshire, Real ENGLAND
    Posts
    16,852
    Your next adventure www.hograost.com

  13. #13
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Chesterfield Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,894
    Top man Ian
    "He who aint dropped a bollock ant dun owt"
    Also glad it hasnt put yer off
    See you next event

  14. #14
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    cumbria, the real north west
    Posts
    5,225
    Quote Originally Posted by BAKERMAN View Post
    Your next adventure www.hograost.com
    I am tempted, would have to decide nearer the time!

  15. #15
    What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    S/W London.
    Posts
    50,030
    Quote Originally Posted by ianboydsnr View Post
    gave up after having a drink in the pub, left for the 380 miles home at 7.45pm got home at 3.45am
    Small comfort i know, but you couldn't have chosen a better bike to cover that mileage and ride through the night.

    Apart from my old electra glide of course..
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

    Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

  16. #16
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    cumbria, the real north west
    Posts
    5,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
    Small comfort i know, but you couldn't have chosen a better bike to cover that mileage and ride through the night.

    Apart from my old electra glide of course..
    It was surprisingly able, great headlight, comfortable,

    Actually if it wasn't so able, I would have probably stayed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Anyone attending a Ride Out or Event organised through the UKGSer Forums does so at their own risk.
UKGSer.com or anyone organising an event posted here will not be held responsible in any way for damage or personal injury sustained while attending any such events.

Members attending any such event do so at their own risk.

The text, images, graphics, sound files, animation files, video files, and their arrangement on this Website are all subject to copyright and other intellectual property protection. These objects may not be copied for commercial use or distribution, nor may these objects be modified or reposted to other sites without prior written permission.

Disclaimer: Use or depiction of the BMW logo or trademark throughout this web site is for illustrative and editorial purposes only, and to the benefit of the trademark owner, with no intention of infringement of the trademark.

The UKGSer Forums may include adult content for which it cannot be held responsible. Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the UKGSER network privacy policy

"Its about being a grown up hooligan - and if that means a dark visor, remus open pipe and a bit of speeding out of town then all well and good"