LED Fog lights 2014

Hi Guys,

I am wanting to use a BMW Fog light switch which I have obtained secondhand as an off switch for a modulator on a set of BikeVis bullet lights. Despite me taking the switch apart and trying to trace which of the 6 wires complete a circuit when the button is pressed I can't work out how it is meant to work.

Does anyone know how this switch works?

Really disappointed to read about the LED light issue. I was going to get them fitted when my bike goes in to North Oxford for its running in service, but I may not bother now.

I had the LED lights dealer fitted to my 2014 GS and never had any issues with them and I rode in some really wet and cold weather conditions. I did the same with my 2015 GSA, and again had no issues.

Hopefully all those affected will get the issues resolved soon :thumb2

My 2015 Rt LCD had these aux lights on and failed after around a year. , both were replaced and I had discussions with the branch about these being waterproof !! They wouldn't or couldn't give a proper answer . So taking it they are not waterproof I now cover them with a plastic bag while washing ! Just hope I have a rain free year of rides !

Really disappointed to read about the LED light issue. I was going to get them fitted when my bike goes in to North Oxford for its running in service, but I may not bother now.

I had the LED lights dealer fitted to my 2014 GS and never had any issues with them and I rode in some really wet and cold weather conditions. I did the same with my 2015 GSA, and again had no issues.

Hopefully all those affected will get the issues resolved soon :thumb2

I had one issue on my last bike, but have had these lights on 4 bikes with just the one issue, so they aren't all problematic.

I ride in rain and use a pressure washer for cleaning...

Same here. I also use a bike dryer, and make sure I get all the water out after washing the bike, so maybe that helps.:thumb

Same here. I also use a bike dryer, and make sure I get all the water out after washing the bike, so maybe that helps.:thumb

Exactly the same and spray bike and especially the aux lights, with AcF50, GT85 or similar after each wash. I had X 6 new lights and one new harness on the 2014 in 10,000 miles. On my 2016 so far only the one light has been replaced in 18,000 miles.

Luck of the draw as they say.

Terry

Just had my left side light go, after riding through a deluge on Saturday.:blast

Just had my left side light go, after riding through a deluge on Saturday.:blast

They are a bit naff aren't they. This issue has been going on year after year, BMW used to mean quality but I think that's a thing of the past now.

It seems no amount of spraying with ACF 50 or similar can stop them failing. And I think I'm right in saying BMW charge £200 for them

Terry

They are a bit naff aren't they. This issue has been going on year after year, BMW used to mean quality but I think that's a thing of the past now.

It seems no amount of spraying with ACF 50 or similar can stop them failing. And I think I'm right in saying BMW charge £200 for them

Terry

I'm not impressed, to be honest. I emailed the dealer, and they know about the issue, and are confident it doesn't need any parts. We shall see.

Hi Terry

Still waiting to hear of the fix for this.

Swapping the lamp for a new one doesn't fix it.

Interestingly (?) it is an intermittent fault as my left one will occasionally illuminate when it feels like it.

Is this a sign?

In my experience this is a sign it's on its way out. It started with flickering then nothing then jumped to the other light same symptoms before failure. Get the case logged with BMW quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume these fog light replacements are free ? Right ?
My RHS one has just packed up after several days in heavy rain. Since they seem to need replacing every time it rains, that's quite often.....
Haven't managed to get the plug released from the unit (I used a thin bladed screwdriver, as suggested, but it only went into my hand :eek:).

So I'm off to the dealers, any clues as to what this is going to cost me anyone ??

What I don't get is BMW relies on Hella to supply these units. Apart from being one of the best and most respected producers of vehicle lights why has the poor quality been allowed to continue? Thousands must have failed now and regardless of whether BMW or Hella has picked up the bill for these failures you would have thought there would be a modification or redesign. They are seriously expensive considering what else is now available.:blast

Insert a thin blade screw driver into the hole at the front feel for the clip / release tab then pull connector off. Yes I know why bloody things are useless

Terry

OK. Had another go at this - enthused by the 10 pages of doom about these lamps.
Located clip, removed connector, plenty of water in the connector, dried with tissue & airline, reconnected, works fine.
Decided to try covering the forward facing underside of the lamp unit (where the hole is for accessing the spring release for the plug) with gaffer tape. See if it stops connector getting wet, keep you posted.
May be the "Touratech plastic bag" is a good idea :duck:
T

Okay - so my left hand side LED went down weekend before last after riding through a storm. First time I've had one pack up on me and I've been using them since 2011. There was visible evidence of moisture on the inside surface of the lens so I was in no doubt water had penetrated the bulb unit.

Light unit stripped down and the sealed (!) bulb unit left in the airing cupboard (with the socket facing upwards) for a week. Reconnected yesterday and everything working again. I took Grim Reaper's advice and picked up some Contralube 770, used some fresh thermal paste when putting the bulb unit back into the housing and siliconed around the join in the bulb unit which must be the only other place the water can get in.

Time will tell ...... !

Bought a 2017 GSA about 6 weeks ago, first ride out in the rain and left side packed up.
Going in to local dealer at the end of the week, they are not sure if its the light or wiring loom but are well aware of this issue.
When I spoke to the guy last week he said "I bet its left side, I'll order the bits for you" before I had chance to say anything else.

Back
Top Bottom