4 days in Helsinki

bladerunner

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As per the tin - I have 4 days in Helsinki in a couple of weeks.

Anyone been? Any suggestion s as to what to do when work can be free of my presence?

cheers

I was there early last year (May 2013). Nice enough around the natural harbour but the rest of the city was a grey boring tip. Almost soviet style building. I was not impressed!! and won't be looking to go back!

I was there early last year (May 2013). Nice enough around the natural harbour but the rest of the city was a grey boring tip. Almost soviet style building. I was not impressed!! and won't be looking to go back!

Thats because all the bars are hidden, alot of them down a flight of stairs and underground.

If it's still there,head for the Hamlet Bar on the corner behind the railway station.

Just speak english to someone and you'll get picked up by gorgeous blonde things within minutes,as they love the brits and the local men are normally off theor head by 10pm !!!

Allegedly

:augie

Check out the Zetor bar if it is still there, I enjoyed my nights out there but it was about ten years ago, everybody speaks English apart from the Russians, I was there in February I bet it is a bit nicer this time of year

Great cafe in an old sailboat at the harbour - also try and hop on a ferry to Tallinn; you can walk to the old city from the harbour and it's an amazing place! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been there a number of times for work, the latest time about 6 weeks ago and if the weather is good when you're there, it's a cracking place in the summer as everyone gets a little unhinged due to the amount of sunlight. As the various other posts have said, everyone basically speaks great English and it's a really interesting mix of East meets West. The Fishmarket restaurant down by the harbour is a cracking place to eat especially if work is picking up the tab - enjoy!

Go out to the island in the harbour the ferries are fairly regular used to be a military training camp, has the old buildings and a museum which has a different slant on WW II. Some pretty cool things dotted around u boat old tunnels etc etc. Had Swedish/Fin girlfriend spent many a happy week in Helsinki.

So how was it? Any blonds about?

in all honesty - a big disappointment.

The buildings were very Soviet - thick walled squat, wide open roads, little greenery or parks in city.
Waterfront was OK - but full of oriental cruise line tourists
Some nice restaurants and pleasant folk - but beer 10.50 euro a bottle

Cab drivers were morose, bordering on bloody rude, bt most of the rest were friendly enough and spoke far better english than I speak Finnish.

Menfolk looked like tattooed extras from Wayne's World and women were either diesel dyke style with pink hair or thin voiced blonds from Whose Ville in the Grinch movie.

Hotel was odd and conference facilities like a second rate school assembly hall.

Best bit was a couple of islands with interesting museums of traditional houses etc (like St Fagan's museum in Cardiff for those who know).

Weather was sunny and mainly warm with a cruel wind and light throughout.

GOK what it's like mid winter - the samaritans must do a roaring trade.

As you may have gathered, I don't think I'll be taking 500 Brits there for a conference. Fine if it was half UK price, but at twice UK price it's a no from me.

That pretty much mirrors what I felt after a visit. Will not be re-visiting. Whereas with oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen I would definately go back

Visited a couple of years ago. go to the little island and have a wander around the old fortress, and visit the U-Boat, it is expensive to eat, the markets by the harbor are good, but overall after a couple of days you will be bored.

Bladerunner. Shame you felt like that. I would like to disagree but thats only because i live here.
10,50€ for beer. Definately paid top money but thats city for you. On average they are much cheaper. Typically outside city around 4€.
There is so many nice places to organize meetings but if you get one shitty organizer it can definately leave a bad taste in your mouth.
You dont need to go far out and you´ll have totally different enviroment from city´s concrete buildings.

I would say that next time come with your bike and explore our beautifull countryside. Plenty to explore with GS.

JiTe
Please don't be offended.

The reason for choosing Helsinki included the imminent retirement of the prof there but also the draw of riding up Norway and across the arctic circle and back down to Helsinki, then crossing to Tallin.

I have no doubt that away from the city it is lovely* and I shall certainly visit by bike in the next year to two - I'll even seek you out and buy YOU a beer!

*Just as London is not the UK

Back
Top Bottom