Lid choices up to £300

Cheesy Mike

I read the Quantum F thread with interest as I have tried one on and found it really comfortable. What puts me off is the D-ring which I have always found fiddly and the reports of it being noisy.

At the other end of the scale in helmet style I really like the Shoei Syncrotec which I can get for as little at £250. Can anyone comment on it? I like it because it is comfortable (in the shop), flip-up like my current lid and has a catch rather than d-rings.

If I'm spending up to £300 what would people here recommend?

Regards,

Mike

mikebelch said:
I read the Quantum F thread with interest as I have tried one on and found it really comfortable. What puts me off is the D-ring which I have always found fiddly and the reports of it being noisy.

At the other end of the scale in helmet style I really like the Shoei Syncrotec which I can get for as little at £250. Can anyone comment on it? I like it because it is comfortable (in the shop), flip-up like my current lid and has a catch rather than d-rings.

If I'm spending up to £300 what would people here recommend?

Regards,

Mike
Mike I can't tell from your post if you're after a full-face or a flip front but either way - if you avoid fancy paint jobs you can do well enough for uner £200 and save the rest for putting in the tank or in my beer jug ;)

Full Face - Shoei & Arai you'll pay more £ for £ because of the brand - try an HJC, I have an AC10 and it is easily as good as the two Shoei's I had previously RF200 & XR800. Removable/washable linings and eplacement inner pads, good venting and very quiet.

Flip-front - ShoeiSyncrotec & BMW System 4 big money (though I'm intrigued by the £250 price you mention. Schuberth'sConcept cab be had for £189 and it is, in my opinion, the best of the flip-fronts, the sun visor being the icing on the cake :D

I have only ever had flip-front but I was really taken by the Quantum F as it wasn't half as claustrophobic to take on & off as others I have tried. I really like the Shoei Syncrotec but I will have a look at the Schuberth Concept as well now. Any idea who sells them?

£249 was for a web based retailer in the UK but they only have one left in my size so I'm not telling yet who they are! Typical high street price seems to be around £310.

Point taken about fancy painted lids. Plain coloured lids are my preference. I guess if I liked showy painted things I wouldn't have bought a GS and I'd be out with the other Power Rangers in Cheddar Gorge on Sundays (strictly dry sunny days of course) on my hardly ever used sports bike trying to look cool.

Mike

mikebelch said:
Any idea who sells them?
If ya want to try one for size - your nearest J&S will stock them - though not at £190. SPC sell them but again they are at the RRP of £250.

Onve tried for size then order at www.bonanzabikes.co.uk or www.moto-accessories.de - its where mine came from £189 and not a penny more.

If you're looking for a flip front, don't discount the Lazer Revolution. I'm very happy with mine. £199 for Darth Vader looks (especially if you use the jet mask, which I don't) and an integral sun visor.

Attachments

• kif_0480.jpg
    kif_0480.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 463
mikebelch said:
I read the Quantum F thread with interest as I have tried one on and found it really comfortable. What puts me off is the D-ring which I have always found fiddly and the reports of it being noisy

Tried one of those Tour X helmets very comfy but i also found the d ring fiddly, shame you can't try before you buy just to see how the peak works at 80 +.
One thing though i never realised how heavy my system 4 is :(

Gates

Arai tour x

Arai tour X is the dogs as far as I'm concerned. It's light, well vented, and can be had for about £250-£300

I did Midlands to South of France, and the peak has no detrimental effect, no matter what speed you go at.... I cruised 90-100 almost all the way.

The brilliant thing about having a peak, is the sun shade benefit.... brilliant to stop your face getting roasted in warmer climes, and a big bonus when lowish level sun would otherwise be blinding you.

Recommended!!!

I went to the NEC to look at lots of helmets in one place, especially flips, and be able to compare them.

I found lots of the flip fronts have plastic catches to hold the visor down, which I found a bit disconcerting. I came away looking at either a Schubert Concept flip or a Nolan 100E flip. Both have metal catches to hold the chinguard in place and are ACU approved, the Nolan to Gold standard. The Nolan is a staggering £159 for the top one and is very well made, removeable liner, natty internal removeable visor system etc. Worth a look. I'm ordering mine this week.

I was seriously looking at a Lazer before, as I wear glasses and liked the idea of the face mask preventing them misting them up.

I also like the look of the visor as it goes all the way down. I thought the Schubert dark visor might me by being just below eye/glasses level. The Lazer does have a kinda cool look about it too. My mate has a Lazer and wear glasses and raves about it never ever misting up.

However on digging deep, I found out that the clear visor isn't shatterproof and has a sticker on to say so. Unfortunately, for me, that took it out of the equation.

I,m diching my quantum F as it is much to noisy it was fine when I had a VFR but on the GS it is awfull and from J&S I,m getting the Shoei Integra down from £350 odd to £170 as my wife uses the xr800 and it is real quiet, lets hope so!

I'm a big fan of the Caberg Just One flip-face lid - I seem to have a Caberg-shaped head, and find them really comfy. I've just bought my second.

Only the cheek pads are removable - the rest of the liner is fixed - but at £100, I can afford to change it every 12 months or so when it start to make my head itch. Even with lids that the liners can be cleaned properly, I would be loathe to use the same one for years - UV light tends to degrade the shell, and make it a bit brittle.

It is a bit noisy, but no where near as bad as my last full-face (HJC).

Vents seem to work better than any other lids I've had (mind you, I'm a cheap-skate, and have never gone down the Arai/Shoei route)

Steve.

Re: Arai tour x

willstatt said:
Arai tour X is the dogs as far as I'm concerned

Recommended!!!

How about wind noise, I find my Premier off road helmet unstable and noisy.
Tim

Mike:
I've had various Arai helmets over the years including, currently, a Quantum F. I also currently own and use a Schuberth Concept flip; Suomy Gunwind; Vemar flip; Ikon MX and Axo MX helmets; a cheap HJC and an old Lazer.
There is no doubt in my mind that Arai helmets are superbly made, totally customisable (just visit the Arai van at any GP or Superbikes round), comfortable for those with Arai-shaped heads, and hugely expensive.
Having long been a fan of seat-belt style fastenings I now much prefer double-D rings and the Arai version is very good and easy to use and probably safer. On the downside my Arai Quantum F is very noisy on the GS (but so is my Schuberth Concept) whereas it is is fairly quiet on my CBR600 - I always wear earplugs. De-misting is excellent with a fog-city insert.
Bottom line - don't be put off the Arai because it has a D-ring. Be prepared for it to be physically comfortable but noisily uncomfortable. It'll last for years. Peripheral vision is not brilliant (and pants compared to the Schuberth). It's lighter than a flip-up.
Now you're really confused!
Simon

schubert lid

anybody know a euro site to get the schubert lid..

or even one in ireland?

went to eth german site but have heard fieck all from them

regards

pthagonal

Shoei Syncrotec

I bought the Shoei Syncotec from the NEC, I paid #249.

White with a few extra stickers, combined with blue white driving lights gets you lots of respect from other road users !

Attachments

• norah.jpg
    norah.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 278
used parts

i've ordered a lot of stuff from the states.

Get them to mark them as used parts no vat is due !

Re: used parts

bandit said:
i've ordered a lot of stuff from the states.

Get them to mark them as used parts no vat is due !

Tried that with Aerostich NO WAY :(

You want;
comfort,
light weight,
low wind noise,
good anti fogging,
good ventilation,
good looks(IMHO)
and a top ten rating in MCN 's test to destruction?
Try a ROOF RO10 at £200-£225 it's a bargain!
Only downside? bit of a pain to change visors-but I guess the good fit contributes to the outstandingly low wind noise ;-)

Back
Top Bottom