Lid choices up to £300

sizing

whats the equivalent size for a shubert

Attention! Schuberth Concept Helmets have quite a distinctive size declaration:
XXXS=48/49cm, XXS=50/51cm, XS=52/53cm, S=54/55cm, M=56/57cm, L=58/59cm, XL=60cm, XXL=61cm, XXXL=64cm

getting a christmas present for a friend via his g/f his helmet size is 50 in a arai.. is that the same in schubert?

or do i need to get bigger?

regards

pthagonal

Re: Re: Pthagonal

gauloises said:

I once ordered something from the states and got
stung by Customs /VAT and the post office :(

That's because it is outside of the European Union. Anything within the EU will only cost postage - not V.A.T. or Import Duty.

Baggyns.

lids ? Wot no BMW

Hmm, no-one mentioning the BMW lids !
I had an Arai Quantum E which was great, but bits fell off it while I was in France; I went to the local BMW dealer and bought a BMW system 4 evo-elite. This is the carbon fibre one. It costs £400 here but I got it for £290 in France. No special offer, that's just how much they cost over there.
It is Excellent. The main thing is that it's lighter and quieter. Now when I put on the old arai, I think there's something wrong with the motor cos it seems to be making strange loud noises. My neck also feels the pain with the arai now. And in summer, I can turn it into an open-face.
Downsides: less draught-proof than the arai, and can't use a foggy mask with it.
:moped:

mikebelch said:
If I'm spending up to £300 what would people here recommend?

I got an Arai RX7RR from the NEC for £300

I'm now on my 3rd (last 2 replaced after 50,000 miles each) and they're the best lid I've ever used.
Removable liner, brilliant venting, quick-release visor

Just bought (another) Shoei XR-800 from Carnell's sale in Doncaster for £80.

Extremely quiet, comfortable, good vents and £110 off list!

Roof Boxer - about £190 - better than the Caberg and other System type lids - becuase you can ride at any speed with the chin piece over the back. Better than an open face because the chin piece stops the "stinging in the rain". Better than a full face cos thats what the GS is all about. Ugly enough to go well thith the beak.

RB

Arai Quantum 'F'

:) You have seen the thread re the arai. They have them in Fowlups, opps I mean Fowlers at £229 still. Got a good stock.

Had mine for a week and love it, however my head is the shape of a rugby ball ( That is the one on my shoulders !) and the Arai is simply brilliant. To ME I find it quieter and better than my Concept, however we are all different and as a result a lid is a very personal thing. Having got the two, I must admit I prefer the Arai without hesitation. You never know what a lid is like until you have owned it and worn the thing.

Also it is unfair to compare a flip up with a full face. I really fancied the idea of a flip up for certain circumstances, however would not fancy it on my longer trips. Still we are all different.

Good luck in your choice.

arai tour x

I got one of these and having only used Shoei in the past am very impressed. It is superbly made, very comfy (I have a big head and nose!) and IMHO looks as cool as....

Regarding visor and wind, I can't say I've noticed any probs upto 110, compared to my shoei Z1 which I use on the blade it seems just as stable. Haven't tested the tour x on the blade as I will look a right knob riding a sportsbike in a moto x style lid!

When paired up with the black visor (off road use only of course) I will be Darth Vader which makes the Adv the Death Star I guess - nearly as big....;)

Joined a bit late here but...

If you haven't shelled :D out yet Mike I'd take a look at the Xlite flip front. Most comfortable helmet I've ever worn, metal catches for the flip front and looks pretty good too.

The Roof RO10 is the most claustrophobic helmet I think I've ever tried. The Boxer is pig ugly, uncomfortable (IMO) and the chin piece ends up pressed against my chin.

The Shoei Synchrotec is great if you've got a Shoei head. Wasn't impressed particularly with the Lazer or Vemar flip fronts (a bit too cheap in feel). The Caberg doesn't flip up far enough and is in the line of sight.

I had a BMW system helmet before the Xlite and although it was a comfortable well made piece of kit it was heavy and noisy.

That's my twopennyworth.

Dick

scurrell said:
If you're looking for a flip front, don't discount the Lazer Revolution. I'm very happy with mine. £199 for Darth Vader looks (especially if you use the jet mask, which I don't) and an integral sun visor.

Having got one of these, it leaked like a sieve, and then misted up. It went back.

Talking to some guys, the older ones seem to have a foam seal all the way across the top, the newer ones don't.

Also, the slot down inner visor steams up more than the schuberth one.

Given the choice of a 150 lazer or a 180 Schuberth, I know what I'll be getting.

and it's not a lazer..

mikebelch said:

Haven't shelled out yet. I was pretty certain that what I was going to buy the Schuberth Concept, but I'll definitely check out the Xlite. I take it you mean the X1001E Elegance?
http://www.customlids.co.uk/images/xlite/X1001_silv.jpg

Thanks for the pointer.

Mike.

That's the one. Another plus point is that the "flip up" flips over the helmet rather than out (look at where the pivot is ) and doesn't catch the wind if you do ride with it up (oo er missus)

Cheers

Dick

Roof Boxer .......!!

Roy B said:
Roof Boxer - about £190 - better than the Caberg and other System type lids - becuase you can ride at any speed with the chin piece over the back. Better than an open face because the chin piece stops the "stinging in the rain". Better than a full face cos thats what the GS is all about. Ugly enough to go well thith the beak.

RB
Roy - I bought one of these a few months back and can't get used to it. I find one handed operation of the visor nigh on impossible when trying to close it. I've tried various settings with the visor screws but its still a pain. Any advice you can lend. No rush though as its snowing again.

Have Fun
AndyT:cool:

Has anyone out there used an AGV with a GS?
I've for one at the moment which is great with my Bandit and very light.
Also seems to fit my head nicely!!

Joining this late as well, but I would like a flip-front which can convert to open face, but when it does convert, leave the visor covering your face and the chin piece out of the way.

The Roof Boxer does all this, but it didn't fit - the chin piece was pressing to close to my chin - a problem which a lot of people have according to the salesman in J & S.

The Caberg converts (with a £30 kit) but doesn't leave a visor over your face.

Is there any other flip front which converts or alternatively, can be ridden with ease when in flipped-up mode without needing neck muscles like Arnie.

Any ideas anyone ?

Regards

Philip
6X

Just bought a shoei synch for £200 for the mrs!! spot on!!:D
I will wait for the ally pally show at the end of the month to see if something takes my eye.
Must say i quite like the Tour X, hopefully one might be at the show.

Just a quickie (ooer) but people have been mentioning the Roof Boxer. I seem to recall reading somewhere that this lid is classified as an "open face" and therefore has not met the same protection criteria as a "full face"

Back
Top Bottom