Sava mc60 getaway tyre review

Flipfly

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to get in communications with Sava ref their interesting MC60 Getaway tyre. Very little info has been banded around this side of the pond, and acquiring them has been a little difficult.

Anyway, the tyres have turned up at work today and first impressions are good. The tyre seems a bit more of a smooth profile compared to the TKC80 and the rubber seems a bit harder.

I need to get discs fitted to my alternative wheels, and get them fitted. Then I will report on the tyres fully over a period of time to give everyone a better idea of the usefulness of the tyre in the UK.

I get 7000-9000 miles from the old Tourances and 2500 miles from a TKC80.

I will be fitting the tyres in off road orientation as the main reason for the test is to see if the tyre has the potential to get riders down to Morocco and back on one set rather than the obligatory stop for tkc's.

I will definitely have them on for the Std do, so if your interested come and have a look.

I have fitted a set today, the rear I have put on in the On road bias, I have never ridden on nobblies before, hope I like them!
They do look great. They cost £145 for the pair, if they are good and last 6k or more I will use them again.
Anyway will soon find out as off to the Arctic Circle later this month.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 2,217
Any updates on these tyre's? Are they ok in the wet on road or super slippery? I looked at some the other day and noticed on the tyre walls it said maximum pressure 33psi cold with the relevant weights next to it. Given GSA pressures are 32/36 or 36/42 have you been running the pressures higher or just using the 33psi? Do you think they be run at normal GSA pressures as the maximum load of each tyre is nowhere near its limits, seem to remember 240ish kg for front and 340ish kg for rear. Say the bike is 300kg does the GSA split the weight 50/50 so 150kg on each tyre?

Lots of questions! ANy further info would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the lack of update.
My experience with them did not go so well. They take a fair bit of bedding in compared to a TKC which made me think they were a bit harder and should last longer. I had a few little slides, but once the knobblies rounded off they weren't bad. In the wet they are much like a TKC, if you take the piss they will let go. Not as confidence inspiring as a TKC, but initial thoughts were good.

I rode the bike down to Spain, hoping to get there and back on the one set. Steady 80-85 ish in hot weather unfortunately murdered them. WhenI got to Spain they were about 2/3s worn and I certainly didn't trust them to get me home.

I don't believe the American hype about 6k miles, unless you plod along. Loaded up touring tyres these are definately not. They give a similar life span to TKCs. They work well in gravelly stuff, but TKCs have the edge for muddy stuff and for confidence around the twisties.
The big benefit was they are quieter and the front doesn't cup as quickly as the TKC. They are also more stable at speed than a TKC.

Thanks for the update. What pressure did you use on road? I'm guessing you were loaded owing to the nature of your jaunt.

Have heard a K60 Scout rear with a TKC80 front is a good balance. Maybe K60 rear and a MC60 front might be better. Have seen some cases where people have cut out the K60 radial band between knobbles using a hot tyre doofrie, maybe that might be even better!

I know tyres are a subjective thing but its good to get a rough idea.

Back
Top Bottom