Anyone for a spot of Dales riding?

MartinS

Reaction score
I'm 35 and from Pontefract. Been riding since I was 18 on and off. I ride the Dales fairly frequently but as only a couple of my mates are into bikes, I'm solo most of the time. Does anyone fancy meeting up for a ride out at some point and perhaps a spot of lunch at one of the many fine pubs in the Dales? I dont have much in the way of touring gear yet, so this would be for day rides only for now.

I ride at a moderate pace. I say this as the two rides I've been on on previous bikes, which were organised via forums (not this forum!), have resulted in a group of maniacs doing 110mph on narrow country lanes which made me uncomfortable to say the least, and then in complete contrast, a group which never exceeded 50 no matter what the conditions. Also been out with guys who don't understand how a bike corners, which made for a tedious ride. I'm looking for somewhere in the middle.

If anyone is up for a ride out, let me know. I have a flexible schedule mostly. Weather gods seem to be favouring us this year.

For the near future I'm looking at doing some short tours to europe, once i've decided on luggage and so on.

Cheers,

Martin

Of course dahling :)

Once I'm back from enjoying Scotland's finest - found a few new roads in the Borders for you yesterday - that Petcul knows some crackers

I detect a plan coming together :D

:beerjug:

I am still waiting on my satnav. If I plan a nice road route, say 150 mile round trip in the dales, does anyone have a satnav we can load it onto? Want to avoid motorway but some of the back roads going north are hard to remember.

You don't need a satnav you only need Johnny Boxer, cos it's all in his head.
:rolleyes:........:thumby:

Cheers Malc

Just showed 4 from the Midlands the way back from Haltwhistle, to Masham, this morning - all through the Pennines and Dales, without any directions & over the best roads

They were happy by the tme they got to the A1 @ Ripon:D

Yeah ... all the best biking roads of the Yorkshire Dales, the Highest Roads in England ...

... and very little else :eek:

:beerjug:

I'd be interested in a Sat/Sun ride out - can't do every weekend though as I'm regularly on-call or on camping weekends.

Organising rides out can be like herding cats so don't be put off if folk can't go or don't turn up :)

Hey all,

My usual route has been up the A1 to Bedale and then through Leyburn across to Hawes and then south on one of the best biking roads I've found. Alternatively I sometimes go right into the north west corner at Sedbergh and down via Kirby Lonsdale. Both are nice runs but the A1 section is obviously very boring. Thats what I'd like to cut out but I'm not very familiar with Harrogate and the surrounding area. I think Pately Bridge and Masham is the way forward perhaps?

I'm not much of an organiser when it comes to group rides, I wasnt expecting such a big postiive response to be honest. That said, I'm willing to give it a go.

PS. Micky, that mate of yours who does advanced training. I'm thinking of giving him a call.

Lovely roads in the Dales, even better with a local guide. Just had a great weekend based in Settle, 4 days no rain. Good roads, great views.

Martin
I'm in Leeds so frequently avoid the areas you mention & I detest riding around Harrogate. Here's a few suggestions which don't leave you in traffic for too long but equally get you into the Dales in reasonable time.
Use the A168 which runs in parallel of the A1. Join it near Wetherby then exit at Boroughbridge/Ripon. There are other roads heading westwards too before & after B'bridge.
To reach Pateley Bridge, I'd take the Wetherby to Knaresborough road, then Nidd and Ripley and onto Pateley Bridge. Or, I'll go via Otley, Blubberhouses, Summer Bridge.

After Masham there's several roads to choose from to reach Hawes or completely avoid it!
Riding with folk who know the region will enrich your experience but failing that, get a decent map & follow the unclassified roads :)

Back
Top Bottom