What are your plans for Le Tour?

Will cycle over to Finchingfield on Monday if the weather is good.

Was staying at The Dales Cycle Centre in Reeth last month and the whole area was really looking forward to the Tour. Will be impressive with the peleton coming down Reeth High Street.

When i went over Grinton this morning the local council was power washing the graffiti of the road, there was also an Italian team out heading out over Grinton a bit later on i came across the Sky team on the Patley Bridge to Ripon road and an unidentified team heading up Norwood from Otley, all the teams looked impressive.

Miserable bastards - hope the nice union jack is still there. Much of the stuff at Buttertubs I saw looked like it was done by blind children mind! (with no disrespect to blind children)

Depends what had been drawn/written Fritz - over here at Hebden Bridge there's been a huge pair of bllx, a penis and the words 'Adam loves' sprayed on the road...draw your own conclusion...funnily enough someone tried erasing it by spraying the willy/bllx in black which looks worse :blast

Miserable bastards - hope the nice union jack is still there. Much of the stuff at Buttertubs I saw looked like it was done by blind children mind! (with no disrespect to blind children)

The union jack is what they were washing off, got to agree about the Buttertubs but the children may have been drunk as well

Saw some black and yellow sheep today - brilliant. The Baaarnsley signature in the field was impressive
I will mot be missing much but sadly it will be on the box

Depends what had been drawn/written Fritz - over here at Hebden Bridge there's been a huge pair of bllx, a penis and the words 'Adam loves' sprayed on the road...draw your own conclusion...funnily enough someone tried erasing it by spraying the willy/bllx in black which looks worse :blast

Agreed - though the people that draw these I'm guessing are maybe erant footie fans :eek::confused::rolleyes: sorry I mean they are drawing 'themselves' :D

The union jack is what they were washing off, got to agree about the Buttertubs but the children may have been drunk as well

Now that is sad - it was very well done and not even slightly offensive, and took someone a fair while- still say 'pack of dumbar stewards'

that road will be surface dressing in a month or so (I know ;-)...where's the harm?

Friggin chaos everywhere today on A61 - can't move for bloody cyclists :D

West Tanfield still looking good as point of entry for those that don't want to walk far :thumb2

Attachments

• dawg.jpg
    dawg.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 125
  • horse.jpg
    horse.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 125
Got rather damp running road on bike - should be dry for human powered one tomorrow tho :thumb2

That Banksy fellah seems to be on his hols up here.

Go Cav Go :clap

Attachments

• cava.jpg
    cava.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 163
  • cavb.jpg
    cavb.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 127
  • cavc.jpg
    cavc.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 154
Parking at Heathrow and then the tube into town for the finish on the Mall on Monday. Le Tour is mega, just a great experience seeing it and the full Tour circus on home soil again.

It's a bit of come down for the Tour going to Yorkshire, I saw Eddy Merckx and Barry Hoban when the tour first came to the REAL 'Gods own County' :p Hopefully this visit will go down in history far better than the half baked under funded fiasco in 74, and at least we stand a good chance of a Brit stage win here on home soil as well.

Im told the fire service were visiting some of the villages, townships, whatever on the outskirts of sheffield a couple of weeks ago telling people that they expect all emergency services to be delayed if they have to respond to a call during the race; and advising people that it would be best not to have an emergency at that time. FFS

If the SCC and the organisers of this event really are as anal as they appear to be (they are closing some roads for 24 hours before and after the event ) then it looks as though the majority of people living in sheffield will be cut off from what is now Sheffield's only A&E hospital for several hours. Given SCC's record I'm sure they have not even thought of that.

Not really into trying to catch a fleeting glimpse of sweaty lycra clad men, with or without pedal cycles, I will be out of town for this.

The highlights (aka. the most spectacular or significant crashes) will doubtless be on tv and nodoubt Youtube for anyone that's really interested.

If England's world cup effort had made it through the first stage I'm sure we would be hearing far less about the TDF.

Had a brilliant couple of days here. Went to the team presentation last night which was awesome (unfortunately the TV coverage was utterly butchered and they cut all the best bits)

Then today we went for a 'stalking' club run. Went to Rudding park where Omega Pharma Quickstep and Team Sky are staying. Team Sky were especially amenable and happy to chat and take photos. Sky Sports were there and got us involved in a few interviews and backdrop shots too. Then went for a 40 mile loop around segments of the course before heading back to Harrogate for a few beers. The atmosphere here is amazing at the moment - I don't want it to end though!

image by sagalout, on Flickr

Parking at Heathrow and then the tube into town for the finish on the Mall on Monday. Le Tour is mega, just a great experience seeing it and the full Tour circus on home soil again.

It's a bit of come down for the Tour going to Yorkshire, I saw Eddy Merckx and Barry Hoban when the tour first came to the REAL 'Gods own County' :p Hopefully this visit will go down in history far better than the half baked under funded fiasco in 74, and at least we stand a good chance of a Brit stage win here on home soil as well.

When you see the support 'Yorkshire stylee' compared to darn sarf I think you may eat your words... :bounce1

Im told the fire service were visiting some of the villages, townships, whatever on the outskirts of sheffield a couple of weeks ago telling people that they expect all emergency services to be delayed if they have to respond to a call during the race; and advising people that it would be best not to have an emergency at that time. FFS

If the SCC and the organisers of this event really are as anal as they appear to be (they are closing some roads for 24 hours before and after the event ) then it looks as though the majority of people living in sheffield will be cut off from what is now Sheffield's only A&E hospital for several hours. Given SCC's record I'm sure they have not even thought of that.

Not really into trying to catch a fleeting glimpse of sweaty lycra clad men, with or without pedal cycles, I will be out of town for this.

The highlights (aka. the most spectacular or significant crashes) will doubtless be on tv and nodoubt Youtube for anyone that's really interested.

If England's world cup effort had made it through the first stage I'm sure we would be hearing far less about the TDF.

I'm only assuming some sarcasm here :confused:

Pretty sure I heard there might be a strike here during TdF :eek:

Closed roads may mean faster reaction times - assuming they avoid the cyclists / walkers who hopefully will be paying more attetion and hear a siren as opposed to cages and helmet clag power-rangers in their own worlds :blast

When you see the support 'Yorkshire stylee' compared to darn sarf I think you may eat your words... :bounce1

FFS. I was just have lend of you Nancy Northeners ;)
40 years ago Le Tour got little press and very little TV coverage and cycling wasn't exactly fashionable. The French tour organisers weren't exactly helpful and the organisers and authorities here in the UK had little idea on what they were dealing with. Road closures were unheard of in those days as well, so the route planning and what the French wanted was a nightmare.
I would have been in Yorkshire but have a family commitment over the weekend. I know loads of people from the south, east, west and people from north of the border that are going, Yorkshire is just the setting, the welcome will be from all kinds of Brits and others who will have come to Britain for the start. I bet the route from Cambridge into the mall will be manic on Monday.
It's really great that people along the route have got into the French spirit with sheep dyed yellow and stuff decorated.

Am thinking of coming over and watching the tour on the gs with the misses
Anyone recommend a place to park up and watch thanks

Get your skates on it's full & the main route is closed @ 9am

Just been out on the bike for a looksee & it's getting busy

astrro -- People were wild camping on the verges around Otley from 16:00 yesterday, and occupying favoured vantage points from 20:20 - all in the teeming rain! Burley was chock full of parked vehicles by 08:20 today, (a team of parking enforcement officers were very busy issuing tickets to those parked on double yellows - cars parked on bends were exempt apparently as, "they're not on lines"!), and the, "Official Car Parks", were filling up nicely @ £5 a pop as I dropped the youngest son off @ the end of Ilkley Old Road @ 09:15.

In short, it's ramping up into something rather popular.

So, for what it's worth, my advice would be to select somewhere you'd like to spectate early doors tomorrow, and get there by 08:00 at the latest - if Holme Moss appeals, (as it does to me), I'd take my wet weather gear, vitals and necessities and arrive even earlier than that. You'll need to check road closure times to make sure that you can, a/ - get in, b/ - access a safe parking spot, & c/ - get out again. Some roads are shut for more than ten hours.

Youngest is giving me a bell once the peleton has passed by, then I'll transport him to our nearest railway station on the Leeds to Harrogate line, as he wants to see today's sprint finish.

Were I interested in watching, I'd map a route around train stations adjacent to the course, and walk to and from - my journey back to Burley from Otley this morning; normally a five minute drive, took twenty five minutes. Not because the main road had been closed from 05:30, but because the road up through Ellar Ghyll towards Menston was awash with spectators making their way towards the course - three hours before the riders are scheduled to come past.

Hope you have a good day.

All the best, Jim.

Well done Yorkshire and everyone who went making the opening day an amazing spectacle! Fantastic turnout easily on a par with support the race gets in France.
Cavendish's fall was a shame though!

Managed to get a nice spot to watch the pack ride past only for it to be blighted at the very last minute by some giant security fiend who thought it was funny to stand directly in front of us. For the previous 1.5 hours we'd been absolutely fine without any type of moron asking us to "step back" so I wasn't at all pleased when he blocked my view of the riders. Regardless, it was a great event with a brilliant atmosphere :)

Attachments

• DSCN1089a.jpg
    DSCN1089a.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCN1110a.jpg
    DSCN1110a.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 174
  • DSCN1111a.jpg
    DSCN1111a.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 176

Back
Top Bottom