1200GS ABS modulator failure - Watchdog anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
Up until 2012, you have been able to specify all GS bikes without ABS, so your facts are little incorrect
You couldn't buy a GS without servo assitance though which is probably what the poster meant or is at least more to the point.

Andres

To clarify, hopefully: Blue Bell in Crewe where I bought the bike, told me that although ABS was listed as an option, if I didn't specify it on my bike, then they couldn't get me a delivery date for a non ABS bike as BMW were selling them like hotcakes - hence over 4 months wait even with ABS. As Andres put it, If you got ABS, then you got the servo as well.

I'd be well interested in how to remove the ABS/servo from a 1200 as I've only ever seen articles about removing the system from 1150s.

To clarify, hopefully: Blue Bell in Crewe where I bought the bike, told me that although ABS was listed as an option, if I didn't specify it on my bike, then they couldn't get me a delivery date for a non ABS bike as BMW were selling them like hotcakes - hence over 4 months wait even with ABS. As Andres put it, If you got ABS, then you got the servo as well.

I'd be well interested in how to remove the ABS/servo from a 1200 as I've only ever seen articles about removing the system from 1150s.

There we are then

ABS - Optional, NOT Mandatory to have ABS that was also Servo Assisted

Whether you wanted to wait 3/4/5/6 months for BMW to make one without ABS, was up to you and unfortunately you probably fell for the salesman's ploy saying it was too difficult to make a bike, without ABS for you

It was easiest, for him to tell you it was too long a wait and that he would potentially not get a sale

I've specified a non ABS bike, in 2005 and it came within a month:D

Anyway it's water under the bridge

The main difficulty IIRC, with the 1200 is that the ABS sensor doubles as a speedo pick up which is electronic, so removing the ABS system creates a speedo drive problem

Unlike on the superior 1150GS, which has a simple cable operated speedo drive and removing the ABS, doesn't affect it

The main difficulty IIRC, with the 1200 is that the ABS sensor doubles as a speedo pick up which is electronic, so removing the ABS system creates a speedo drive problem

As i understand it Steptoe and Dr Farkoff have solutions to that little issue.......! ( Could be wrong though) and as they do it for a living it's only fair to pay for the expertise...

I have a 1200 GSA Servo/ABS and the brakes are pretty good (Well compared to me HD!!) but... as soon as the ABS/Servo fails.... i'll be getting steppers to rip the lot out and bin it...

As i understand it Steptoe and Dr Farkoff have solutions to that little issue.......! ( Could be wrong though) and as they do it for a living it's only fair to pay for the expertise...

I have a 1200 GSA Servo/ABS and the brakes are pretty good (Well compared to me HD!!) but... as soon as the ABS/Servo fails.... i'll be getting steppers to rip the lot out and bin it...

Exactly, get a Pro to do the work:thumby:

On approaching a line of stationary traffic I applied my brakes as usual and all was fine. Suddenly the brakes appeared to fail and to avoid the stationary queue I was forced to move into on-coming traffic and was nearly killed. I managed to stop using 'manual' braking once I knew I had to apply more force!

BMW diagnostic showed up a failed ABS Modulator which, looking on line, seems to be a common fault which requires an expensive repair. To my mind the inherent danger posed by this particular failure means that BMW should be recalling affected bikes and repairing them FOC. I called a supplier of used parts today and he told me that he gets daily calls for this item.

My family nearly lost their father and I want to make sure that nobody else is nearly, or actually, killed.

So, I have joined this forum to try and find out the level of likely support for a Watchdog type campaign. Are there any fellow GS riders who are interested?

"OK. So you were screeching up to a line of stationary traffic or following too close, having left no margin for error, and suffered a partial brake failure on a 10 yr old bike that has/had a well documented history of ABS failure (which you shouldn't be relying on anyway) and in a moment of panic you decide to do exactly the wrong thing by swerving into the oncoming traffic and possibly killing them, and you want to complain to a telly programme about BWM build quality?" :rob :blast

That's the sort of argument you'll be up against.

Simon.

Exactly, get a Pro to do the work:thumby:

To the OP, the bike is 10 years old... a component has failed, that can be removed or replaced at a hideous cost.... give Steptoe a ring (Google GS Shop) he will sort you out...

Back
Top Bottom