Alternator only outputting 8.5 volts

tallchris99

Reaction score
R1100GS. So my battery is not getting charged properly. Is it worth repairing an alternator? Is this a viable option or am I better off getting one from Motobins and installing it myself/getting someone to do it for me?

I wonder if my bikes rattle is emanating from under the cover? I am off to skive and have a look see. :)

Don't rush are you sure it's the altinator? JJH

I won't rush as I am skint and rather busy. the bike has had an increasing rattle that does seem to come from that area. It's also developed a charging problem. I will report back. Avenues to explore welcome. :)

Could it not be the voltage regulator/rectifier that's shagged, rather than the alternator?

Well I had the alternator belt cover off. The rattle is definitely coming from this area. I could see no movement in the main spindle. The rattle sounded like it was/is in the alternator case itself. Well at least the rattle is not coming from the engine/gearbox!!!!!

So, what next? :)

Replacement alternator (used one should be fine, afaik they are fairly robust)

Yep, piece of piss. Pm Steptoe, ride the bike over to him, hand over gold coins, bike fixed. Doesn't get any easier! :D

8.5 volts is normally an indication one of the phases has gone down, possible a diode pack. Cheaper than a new one if you can get the part. Some factors do sell the bits and its not too difficult to do.

I've got a few used alternators kicking around, from £50 depending on condition.

Back
Top Bottom