Panniers - query

tiktok

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a set of panniers at some point in the next few months and I wanted to gather some opinions.

Currently, I am torn between buying used 1200GS panniers (several sets on ebay) and fabricating some racks or buying a complete set (new or used).

My questions are:

1. Has anyone tried fitting 1200GS panniers to an 1150GS? Are they worth the bother?

2. If I buy new, I don't want to spend too much so Project Vern, Stahlkoffer, Wunderlich are all out. What can people suggest?

(I was looking at Hepco & Becker as they seem reasonably priced and are apparently good quality).

Is there a reason you've ruled out the standard system panniers? They're pretty cheap second hand, the rails are pretty minimalist and simply bolt on, and I love them on my GS.

Panniers

Have a look at jesse panniers.....

I have a set, and am about to put them up for sale if you are interested...

Bubb

Hi,

I use r1200gs aluminium panniers on my r1150gs using holan frames. They work well.

System Panniers

Hi
I'm with metropolis2k here.
System panniers are cheap and easy to pick up.
If you use a stubby exhaust you can use 2 full size cases.
Parts are available individually from BMW or secondhand - and you don't worry about a wee scuff hear and there.
They clip on/off in seconds.

Cheers.......................Grizzly:beerjug:

IMHO you should buy system panniers until you can invest in a set from Vern or a set come up secondhand (which they do).

I got my Verns for 300 or 350 quid. I've had system panniers on an rt, they were adequate, I had Touratwats on my 650, they were ok, had a set of homemade a on Bertha, they too were ok, the Verns........they are the ultimate in pannier tech. Hold an enormous amount without weighing a ton, do not affect handling or cornering ability and are simply made better than anything I have experienced. Worth waiting for and a purchase for life, Vern will repair them if you drop it, totally customisable and have a very long lasting finish.

Waste money on any system you want, but you'll always know that you should have bought right first time.

I'm going to throw a spanner in and say don't bother with the system panniers unless you intend to travel particularly light :rolleyes:

They are fine until you try to fit in stove and associated pots/pan/gas/fuel etc due to their internal shape, I also travel with a pillion and by the time you pack in 2 sleeping bags, tent and any other associated nonsense you will be wishing that you had some nice and square top opening aluminium boxes that you can also lash lighter stuff on top!

It all depends on how you plan to use them, if it's a B&B/hotel trip then the systems will do the trick...

I know a guy who made a fantastic set of panniers for a Transalp out of ex road surveying equipment Peli cases and they look the part on the bike (they're also pretty square and easy to pack)!

As far as i know mr tiktok has system panniers, they were fitted on the bike he bought from me.

Well, I Wish He'd Mentioned That!

Steptoe
As far as i know mr tiktok has system panniers, they were fitted on the bike he bought from me.

Would have saved a bit of wasted discussion?

To answer mspenz re system panniers.
I have used system panniers, plus moderate size Givi topbox and small BMW tankbag on my 1150GS to travel all over Europe for the past 13 years - always 2-up.
If you use them with Mane Event inner bags they hold a lot of gear:thumb2 - plenty for 4-week trips.
If your camping that would, I agree, be more difficult - but only if your carrying full cooking gear etc! - if your only doing simple camping with a Jetboil only for coffee etc then its still ok for a few days in the UK, I strap the tent on top of the topbox. Solo camping would be no problem.

Cheers......................Grizzly:beerjug:

There is a complete thread somewhere with a review on all the panniers available, their pro's and cons etc etc , done by "Tuned in" and made into a sticky.

Not sure of it's in the oilhead TIPS & INFO section. Or perhaps in the equipment section.

Hi,

I use r1200gs aluminium panniers on my r1150gs using holan frames. They work well.

I had the same on my 1150 and it was a good setup, not too wide and looks neat too. Bought the whole setup for £300 used from off here.

stop farting about with those little pannier's £300/400, get one of these, 74 lt, £30 from b&q, take's all the camping gear you'll ever need,

Why does that remind me of the set up in an invalid toilet at a motorway service station ?????
I know, the plethora of bars, tubes, plastic container, and a seat with arms alongside the chariot.

Nothing wrong with system panniers. Just don't clip them going round a wall... A nut and bolt secures them afterwards if needs be.

The system panniers are pretty small, nit much room in them, especially the left one, for two. Whatever panniers you use I always find vacuum bags handy. I store all my clothes in them and suck the air out with a vacuum cleaner, can get loads more luggage in. I have a set of hepco and Becker journey panniers with a journey top box. I am lucky and also have a 1200adv with steel boxes. I was considering getting holan frames to fit my 1150 but when looking at the frames it then made it impossible to fit my journey top box. I would be left with a small top box which I don't want.
Best to get a cheap set as and when they come up.

Would have saved a bit of wasted discussion?

To answer mspenz re system panniers.
I have used system panniers, plus moderate size Givi topbox and small BMW tankbag on my 1150GS to travel all over Europe for the past 13 years - always 2-up.
If you use them with Mane Event inner bags they hold a lot of gear:thumb2 - plenty for 4-week trips.
If your camping that would, I agree, be more difficult - but only if your carrying full cooking gear etc! - if your only doing simple camping with a Jetboil only for coffee etc then its still ok for a few days in the UK, I strap the tent on top of the topbox. Solo camping would be no problem.

Cheers......................Grizzly:beerjug:

I totally agree with everything, it's just that I came from a bike that had fairly large Allit panniers (so wish that I had kept them and not sold them with the bike :( ) and a large Givi lookalike topbox.

My GS has system panniers and a lovely genuine BMW aluminium top box which is on the small side unfortunately but handy for a DSLR camera, easy to grab snacks, small pack away gilet and any other items you want to get hold of quickly without too much fumbling.
I've just got hold of a 50litre roll top waterproof holdall which I might use instead of the topbox for all the extra 'luxuries' my missus wants/needs to take!

Longer term I will look out for a set of 1200 panniers as mentioned but meantime, plastic does the trick :D

Mr Steptoe is quite correct, I do have the System panniers (I had no idea they were called that), but they are too small for anything large or awkwardly shaped.

Having used various types of panniers on different touring bikes in the past, I am after a set of alu top loading panniers with a capacity of 34 - 40 litres.

Vern's panniers look great, but I would need to "budget a grand", it puts them out of the price range for this exercise.

Half of this is just about tinkering and trying to make something fit (for a price), there's no real urgency to the project.

1200 panniers are actually quite small, the exhaust cut out in them is huge.

With my Verns on last year, on my own I packed 2 weeks of clothes and shoes in one side and all my camping stuff (sleeping bag, inflatable mattress, pillow, tent, stove, spare gas, walk stool, aluminium table, mallet, hd tent pegs and towel) in the other. Panniers are no wider than the handlebars either!!!

I have standard flat lids, with high lids I could have added another 20+ litres of useable space.

I rode down with nothing strapped to the back of the bike, no top box etc.

Last time I strapped something to the back of the bike was the airhead weekend, I was only away for one night and had a bed so no tent. Roll bag ended up in the rear wheel after some spirited riding and I had to retrace my steps to recover my now shagged clothes and sleeping bag.
Much better to have everything packed securely away in a proper set of panniers!!!

Back
Top Bottom