Garmin 590lm Installation

baroudeur

Reaction score
hey all,

anyone installed the 590 into an 800gs yet?

I was looking at the cables that plug into the gps accessory port (under the 'tank' I believe?) over on nippynormans but they seem to only go as far as the 550 in terms of models they cater to. Anyone know if it's the same cable for 550 and 590?

Any pointers gratefully received.. :)

Cheers, Pete.

The Garmin comes with a power cable which converts 12V to 5V. You then connect this cable to the BMW CAN bus cable (which you can also pick up from a dealer - it's much cheaper than NN).

Pin 1 - ground
Pin 2 - no connection
Pin 3 - 12V

BMW part number is 83300413585 or 80000611656 (they both appear to be the same thing - I found Dick Lovett had one in stock at Swindon and not the other)

It's in the 'tools' section on their system and referred to as a 'Repair Cable'. I've heard that they can be reluctant to sell it, but I personally had no problem.

Costs less than a tenner.

My local BMW dealers suggested my 590 go straight to the battery as the tiny draw for the transformer would upset the CANBUS. I don't know if that's true so I'm interested in how this went.

I bought the cable that fits the canbus and ends in two stripped wires; I connected those to the garmin cable using halfords electrical connectors. Job done..

Been working perfectly with no issues for a few thousand miles now.

BMW will sell you the canbus cable for about £8.

Back
Top Bottom