"Saferack Ground anchor"

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about these things?

$_57.JPG

I've just bought one on Ebay for 99p (more of a surprise to me than the guy selling it I guess :D) and have to go to Bedford to pick it up, but I know naff all about them :nenau

It's certainly a substantial bit of kit.

$_57.JPG

Looks like a bear trap. Be careful:D

I can't find much out about them at all.......apparently designed by a bloke who was a dealer and enthusiast, partly as a bike stand for showrooms but also as a serious ground anchor....it was rated "Sold Safe".

Other than that, I have no idea........i found it accidentally and as it was up for 99p stuck a cheeky one on and got an email this morning saying I'd wone it :D

I reckon with a coat of smoothrite, it could be a useful bit of kit, once I've worked out how to use it

What's it do? Once bolted do you pass a chain through the tube, only standard I know is Sold Secure?

What's it do? Once bolted do you pass a chain through the tube, only standard I know is Sold Secure?

:blast That's what I meant....Sold Secure.

As for what it does, I'm not exactly sure TBH, there's very little info around on them, and the original website no longer exists.

I found this though, before I bought it.......

A sheet metal company here in Kidderminster has branched out into making a superb ground anchor for bikes. Their MD is a keen biker and knows the problems we face with thieves. Have not spoken to him for years but they used to do quite a bit of work for a company I used to work for.
A mate has bought one of these anchors for his VFR800 and really rates it. I have seen his bike in it and was impressed. Might get one myself when the wedge become available.

Anyway check it out on

www.saferack-sheetmetalservices.com

and make up your own minds.

And from the Telegraph:

Calamity rather than necessity was the mother of invention in the case of the Saferack. Fred Hall, a keen motorcyclist who runs a metal fabrication business, witnessed an expensive illustration of the domino effect at his local bike showroom. A customer inavertently knocked one of a line of motorcycles sideways, resulting in the whole row collapsing into a mangled pile. Worse, the showroom was on an upper floor, and the last bike in the line was next to a window

Although motorcycles rarely fly through windows, this sort of incident is all too common, especially since centre stands went out of fashion. A toppled bike can sustain thousands of pounds of damage, and cynics might wonder if manufacturers deliberately fit unstable prop stands to increase profits. Surely not.

Having seen the potential mayhem, Fred came up with the Saferack, which can be thought of as a home security device or a less risky method of displaying motorcycles.

Different versions are available, ranging in price from £87 to £297 for the ultimate ground anchor. Any bike, from narrow-tyred classics to current superbikes, can be accommodated. "Sold Secure" approval means the cost could be recouped at insurance renewal time. Like all the best ideas, it looks simple but it works.

No idea how it's supposed to be used, but the flat plate base looks like it can be bolted to concrete, then as you say, there's that tube which could perhaps take a heavy duty U lock and pass through the wheel as well :nenau

I'm sure I'll figure out a way of making it work......I've no idea if this one is the 87 quid lower end or the top option, or anywhere inbetween, but it just looked heavy duty enough to take a silly punt on and bugger me I got it for a quid :D

Is it perhaps supposed to be bolted to the floor with the front wheel slotted into it? Perhaps more a way of keeping the bike stood upright than an anchor?

Is it perhaps supposed to be bolted to the floor with the front wheel slotted into it? Perhaps more a way of keeping the bike stood upright than an anchor?

According to the article above, it's both :)

I reckon that it's probably for the rear wheel though, looking at the proportions :nenau

Another pic from the ad

$_57.JPG

THE ORIGINAL AUCTION

That tube in the lower corner has got to be the key....it serves no purpose that i can see apart from being for the anchorage point.

I've yet to hear back from the bloke about picking it up, so I don't know how wide the diameter of that tube is.....I'm intrigued though :D

For 99p it's a steal, it looks like you can swap the spacers from the outside to the inside to narrow the plates if your tyres are narrower, giving some adjustability/stability.
A wide-ish U lock would work.
Either way it'll keep you occupied for a while!

For 99p it's a steal, it looks like you can swap the spacers from the outside to the inside to narrow the plates if your tyres are narrower, giving some adjustability/stability.

Good spot........I'd noticed that they were Penny washers but hadn't really thought about WHY......I was thinking about whacking a weld down them and across the bolts holding them so the thing can't easily be dismantled, but looking at it, I reckon you're bang on with the adjustment thing :beerjug:

looks like the 5 bolt holes in the centre are what you fix it to the floor with and when the rear wheels in place it covers the bolts so you can't get at them and thread the chain through the tube and around your wheel.

looks like the 5 bolt holes in the centre are what you fix it to the floor with and when the rear wheels in place it covers the bolts so you can't get at them and thread the chain through the tube and around your wheel.

Yep that's what I'm thinking.

I'll probably drill out some M10 holes in the far corners of the rectangular plate as well.......I have no idea how thick my concrete base is yet, so it won't hurt to extend the footprint of the stress points into it :)

Well I'm dead chuffed :cool:

A very wet day to go and collect it from Cranfield, and a full tank of fuel, but it's a proper monster bit of kit :thumb2

DSC00706-L.jpg

The tube that the chain goes through is probably a foot of scaffolding, it's that sort of bore.

There are some 10MM holes in the base plate under where the wheel sits in it, but I shall probably add another in each corner.

DSC00708-L.jpg

Obviousy I haven't bolted the cradle to the concrete yet.......I'll go and get some concrete bolts this week once I've drilled into it to discover how deep the concrete is.....if there's mud or hardcore fairly close to the surface I'll use expanding bolts, but if there's enough depth, I'll use the self tapping Thundercore type, then once it's all bolted down, I'll touch the head of each with a welder to stop some scroat from unbolting it all :)

DSC00709-M.jpg

Perfect fit.....could have been specifically built for a GS :D

DSC00713-L.jpg

Centre stand chained to front wheel so it can't come off the stand......front wheel chained to Fence support block (that's just sitting there, but it's big and heavy and I'll probably bolt that to the deck at some point as well
And finally, rear wheel chained through tube in cradle, then a tent tarp thrown over :thumb2

DSC00712-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom