F800GS Fuel pump for Toyota Corolla replacement

No Fromage

Reaction score
I know this is an old one you've all heard before but i recently had problems with the fuel pump on my 2009 F800GS fuel pump in Morocco.

At the latter end of a long hard days riding it would begin cutting out for 5-10s every so often the cutting back in again for a while. This would then progress fairly quickly to a situation where the bike would run for 10s then cut out for 5s then cut cack in for 10s and so on.

I am informed that the BMW pump has a thermostatic cut off or (thermister) which when subject to permanently high temperatures and cuts out the pump via the canbus.

I have been advised that the fuel pump for a Toyota Corolla is exactly the same but without the annoying thermal cut out feature and much cheeper.

I have been warned that the Toyota corolla pump in question may be from a specific period like 90-94 for example.
Can anyone shed any light on this for me please.

Good places to get one on line, a rough price and if possible a part number would all be very helpful indeed.

P.S. the bike has run perfectly since being back in the Uk but i still want to replace the part as i am swapping bikes and want to hand it on in good order !

Any advice gratefully received

No fromage

I had a look at this over on ADV and took notes - they said CAR QUEST EB213 (no hits on google though). However i think car quest is an american company selling pattern parts so not sure what the equivalent is over here. If you head down to your local car garage/workshop/MoT centre they have access to pattern part dealers and may shed some light on EU equivalent parts. Or maybe even your local Toyota garage?

There are aftermarket ones like this available - http://www.fuelperformance.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=92_90_98&product_id=251

I've previously taken the pump out to clean some debris from the bottom of the tank and i don't think there are enough connections to feedback temperature so the CANBUS may well be one less thing to worry about. I think any thermostatic cut out is built into the pump itself so you'd have to check the circuits of whatever pump you replace it with.

Best of luck and do post up how you get on,

S

I know this is an old one you've all heard before but i recently had problems with the fuel pump on my 2009 F800GS fuel pump in Morocco.

At the latter end of a long hard days riding it would begin cutting out for 5-10s every so often the cutting back in again for a while. This would then progress fairly quickly to a situation where the bike would run for 10s then cut out for 5s then cut cack in for 10s and so on.

I am informed that the BMW pump has a thermostatic cut off or (thermister) which when subject to permanently high temperatures and cuts out the pump via the can bus.

I have been advised that the fuel pump for a Toyota Corolla is exactly the same but without the annoying thermal cut out feature and much cheeper.

I have been warned that the Toyota corolla pump in question may be from a specific period like 90-94 for example.
Can anyone shed any light on this for me please.

Good places to get one on line, a rough price and if possible a part number would all be very helpful indeed.

P.S. the bike has run perfectly since being back in the Uk but i still want to replace the part as i am swapping bikes and want to hand it on in good order !

Any advice gratefully received

No fromage

I had the same problem a few years ago and Johnny Boxer sent me a thread with similar advice. I think on that occasion it related to bikes in South Africa. i never managed to track down the equivalent Toyota Corolla pump and ended up buying a second hand one from Sherlocks which worked fine. Good luck!

I ran into the same problem a couple of years back which ended up with a dead bike; it would run for 9 seconds and then it would die.

There are many thoughts about what the problem is; like debri from the fuel pump is clocking up the filter and then the pump have to work harder. I do know that E10 might be the biggest issue of all, so always fill it with "Super".

Also I read that BMW actually started out saying that the pump should be replaced every 50.000km, but due to the price of the unite (and thus an unsellable bike), they removed it, and leaving a lot of bikes stranded.

As my bike is now out of warranty I'm going to move the fuel filter outside the tank, and getting one of these pumps from the US - better be safe than sorry (just for once).

Thanks for passing on what you know guys. I removed the fuel pump assembley today and will hopefully receive some more advice more advice. Failing that I will go to my local Toyota dealer with the old part and see what's doing !
Regards
No Fromage

Thanks for passing on what you know guys. I removed the fuel pump assembley today and will hopefully receive some more advice more advice. Failing that I will go to my local Toyota dealer with the old part and see what's doing !
Regards
No Fromage

Don't go to a Toyota dealership.....go to a local indy motor factors.

They will have book after book of cross references, converting a Bosch (or some other base reference point) part number into dog knows what else :)

PS do you have ANY numbers from the casing of the failed/suspect pump?
Get yer reading glasses on and have a right proper look over it- it'll be marked up somewhere, for sure :beerjug:

Good advice !

Fanum

Thanks for what turned out to be some sound advice. I put the part numbers into a search engine and it not only identified the parts of the in tank fuel pump assembly but also lead me to many motor factors sites + Ebay where i eventually brought 1 + a spare one for under £30 each (UK Made).

Once fitted if all goes well i will post instructions for fellow GSers to do the same.

Kind regards

No Fromage

Don't go to a Toyota dealership.....go to a local indy motor factors.

They will have book after book of cross references, converting a Bosch (or some other base reference point) part number into dog knows what else :)

PS do you have ANY numbers from the casing of the failed/suspect pump?
Get yer reading glasses on and have a right proper look over it- it'll be marked up somewhere, for sure :beerjug:

Hi No Fromage

How did you get on with this pump?

I am having similar problems with my bike and am thinking of trying a new pump. For £30.00 its worth it if not only for elimination?

Cheers
Ant

I'd also be interested to know of any results progress as I'm on the edge of buying a 700GS!
I must say I had fuel pump failure on my 1150 GSA when in Romania and Bulgaria; even in remote part of Bulgaria at a tiny local garage they sorted me. Mechanic disappeared for about 30 mnts and came back with an unknown/ non-BMW make of fuel pump! Got me back home and lasted about another 3 months before failing . Motorworks finally got me fixed up.
Don't want to face that whole rigmarole again in some obscure part of Europe!

Hi, had same issue during my last trip to morroco. Bought a spare one from ebay for around 40eur and looks like problem gone. Fitting new pump is realy easy.

Are these pumps on E Bay any good. £30.00
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Intank-Fuel-Pump-for-BMW-F800GS-F800GT-2006-2014-/290973084844?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item43bf58ecacd[/url]

Back
Top Bottom