Reasons not to buy a Garmin Sat Nav

i'll probably buy a case from these guys unless someone knows better?

i don't see it being a total replacement for my garmins (i have 2), but an alternative i can use sometimes for now. once i can load or translate .gpx or .int files into it though, i think garmin can kiss my arse :)

Yep; I ordered one earlier and it should be with me later this week. Hopefully, that’ll be the solution but I was disappointed to hear of the ‘no further support’ on this model and even more so given that others have had their 550’s repaired or offered a new model at a discount. Ironically, the lack of my Zumo caused me to rely on Google Maps on my iPhone in the car for the last few days and I’ve found it simple to use and pretty accurate, furthermore in some aspects I found it better than the 550.

R

i don't understand why anyone needs a dedicated gps anymore.

as just said - google maps now has turn by turn and voice guidance - probably bing and apple maps too ? and there are many navigation apps that store all the maps

- a decent sized phone is all you need these days

i moved on from garmin after my SP3 died years ago to a tom tom and neverlooked back , the phone was the next logical step

i don't understand why anyone needs a dedicated gps anymore.

as just said - google maps now has turn by turn and voice guidance - probably bing and apple maps too ? and there are many navigation apps that store all the maps

- a decent sized phone is all you need these days

i moved on from garmin after my SP3 died years ago to a tom tom and neverlooked back , the phone was the next logical step

Is it waterproof with buttons and operable whilst wearing gloves?

:beerjug:

Basecamp

Just transferred 2000 mile of routes to 660 piece of piss all I have to do is ride it in Aug. do that with an I phone-- my arse! and yes I have one of each--- one for talking into and one for talking out of --before anyone says it. :D

Ignoring the nay-sayers, there are two distinct camps when it comes to using sat nav on a bike:

1/ The 'get me from where I am to where I want to be' group who are willing to let the GPS dictate that route with some basic routing criteria such as fastest route.

2/ The power users who like to plan rides or complete continental tours, in intricate detail on their PCs and then transfer these to the GPS before heading off.

Of course there are situations where at least folk in group 2 would use the direct method and, maybe less likely, the reverse.

Most phone navigation apps would satisfy group 1. There are very few that have a sufficient range of features that would work for group 2.

One of those that would, IMHO, is CoPilot (Android, iPhone or Windows). I've been testing this recently and I must say it's pretty good. Aside from not being glove friendly it covers all the requirements that, say, a Zumo 660 covers. Given a decent case for your phone such as those offered by Ultimate AddOns it would work very well. Some form of USB power would also be a requirement. Some of the CoPilot features are, dare I say it, better than the Garmin; in app route planning, extensive configure-ability, mapping stored on phone or SD card and reasonable in file size (western Europe is about 2GB) etc. There are a few issues around resuming routes that have user defined way-points in the same vein that TomTom does, insisting that you visit any missed points before continuing. However, if you're starting out and already have a smartphone it'll cost around £100 or so for the app, case, mount and power. A darn sight cheaper than a dedicated bike at nav from Garmin or TomTom.

PC route planning can be done courtesy of ITN Converter or TYRE, the former even saves routes in the correct format.

Not going to bin my 660 any time soon but I might just get the hardware, all I really need is the case, to use this app on the bike.

Not going to bin my 660 any time soon but I might just get the hardware, all I really need is the case, to use this app on the bike.

that's what i'm going to do.

i'm also going to look into the possibility of route planning on my ipad, then sharing with my iphone.

Yep; I ordered one earlier and it should be with me later this week. Hopefully, that’ll be the solution but I was disappointed to hear of the ‘no further support’ on this model and even more so given that others have had their 550’s repaired or offered a new model at a discount. Ironically, the lack of my Zumo caused me to rely on Google Maps on my iPhone in the car for the last few days and I’ve found it simple to use and pretty accurate, furthermore in some aspects I found it better than the 550.

R

UPDATE: aftermarket battery arrived, plugged it in and left it to charge overnight. Next morning: it’s working fine!!! :thumb2

I’m going to run it alongside my phone+Google Maps for a few days in the car, before mounting it on the bike for an overseas trip at the end of the month.

R

17 + happy years of using garmin mixture of group 1 & 2 and in a group that ignores the satnav if something catches my eye

A REAL reason not to buy a Garmin

Just found out that there is no audio output on the 590 model. What a stupid idea.

Just found out that there is no audio output on the 590 model. What a stupid idea.

Many cars these days have Bluetooth built in so there is no need of an audio output. Bluetooth adapters are available for not a great deal of money if your car does not have bluetooth already.

John

Many cars these days have Bluetooth built in so there is no need of an audio output. Bluetooth adapters are available for not a great deal of money if your car does not have bluetooth already.

John

Quite true. But being a tight Yorkshire man I don't want to part with any cash when I have a perfectly good starcom system already fitted to the bike.

Back
Top Bottom