Pannier tie down strap, recommendations please !

Magicmat

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After some recommendations for straps to tie down bags on top of my gsa pannier boxes.

I've used a cargo net and bungee cords but they are abit of a faff. I bumped into another biker at a campsite who showed me Rok straps which seem like a great idea but at £17-25 each, and i need 4. Its getting abit rich for me.

Any alternatives worth looking at ?

Are you on good terms with your local, friendly BMW Motorrad dealership? The straps which hold together the steel crates that bikes are delivered in are two-a-penny in most dealerships and they're often just binned. They're the off-white ones with the aluminium buckles on them, just like a Thule canoe strap or similar that you'd use to attach stuff to car roof bars, only much cheaper.... :D

Nip along to all your local bike dealers- they quite often sell (or give free) the straps which secured the new bikes in their crates.

Two Wheels in Edinburgh sell them for 50p each.

I wouldn't be spending money on Roks

For the best stretch straps - I can't see beyond Raptor straps (EBay, Amazon or COSTCO). They secure and grip.

[Schtum beat me to it........]

Al

They will be quick to use but could pop open.

The straps from dealers can be joined for extra length, and can be used for securing the bike on ferries.

They weigh very little and roll up small.

Al

Plastic clips :nono:nono

Some plastic clips are good, but most are naff!

never realised it could all be so complicated :D

I just purchased these, one pair for £7.00 plus postage, so I got two pairs for less than £20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290731893334?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

200kg load limit, so you can use them to secure your bike on a ferry too, AND, they got "GS" written on them......

Suggest you email the seller to get them to confirm they have them in stock, as I bought from three different sellers to be told "out of stock" before I found these.

roks are great, but limited in their stretch. They fit well, or are sloppy..Great kit but my old army bungees work wonders, and are easier to double up etc. If you opt for roks, get the adjustable ones. I have a set of roks that are always used on the left pannier as that is where the tent goes and its a good fit...Not sure about asda shopping though

opted for the slightly smaller rok straps from amazon, same deal, a pair for £9, so under £20 for four.

also picked up two tie down straps for the ferry/ extra security.

Thanks !

Matt

Back
Top Bottom