Right leg under thigh getting cooked

This is my remus hexocone euro 4 can i had fitted in June this year on my gsa !!!!!!!!!!
bb3cb0127f128aca302bffea2554aefd.jpg
5a25e4ff663db5156c8d59c0a9b2576d.jpg
bedb8805efd4330b151e13c6d6621a15.jpg
a4bcce664c2be784dda683cb7374b8cc.jpg
3cccbe1f5d6703599c5aa33fafa568fa.jpg
a3a18b1df503aaa89a1478aea75c4b5b.jpg
a8cc67fe6873663525eab007aa2127a0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Sorry mistake May this year

Looks like your bike is burning fuel in the exhaust system - a bit of a flamethrower then. Maybe spark timing way out on at least one cylinder? If so, it would surely run like a dog though.

Are all the affected bikes GS Adventure?

My reason for asking is that the GSA comes with the engine protection plate as standard. The plate blocks for the cooling airflow to the downpipes.

When analyzing the AFR of an unmodified engine it does not run on a steady 14,7. The engine varys between above and below 14,7, lets say the engine runs 50% richer and 50% leaner. Even if this average to 14,7, both richer and leaner means slightly cooler exhaust than from a steady AFR of 14,7.

Is there a chance that on some bikes, a slight drift in value from the O2 sensor will move the rich or lean side over to the 14,7 mark, thus warmer exhaust, and this, in combination with the protection plate that covers the downpipe for less cooling ads to the extra heat ? I.e, changing O2 sensors will do the trick?

My reason for asking is that the GSA comes with the engine protection plate as standard. The plate blocks for the cooling airflow to the downpipes.

When analyzing the AFR of an unmodified engine it does not run on a steady 14,7. The engine varys between above and below 14,7, lets say the engine runs 50% richer and 50% leaner. Even if this average to 14,7, both richer and leaner means slightly cooler exhaust than from a steady AFR of 14,7.

Is there a chance that on some bikes, a slight drift in value from the O2 sensor will move the rich or lean side over to the 14,7 mark, thus warmer exhaust, and this, in combination with the protection plate that covers the downpipe for less cooling ads to the extra heat ? I.e, changing O2 sensors will do the trick?

Mine is an ADV but it was fine for the first 5 months. I havent fitted anything or changed anything. The pictures of that Remus Exhaust blow my theory that the exhaust flap might be sticking when hot if he's getting that in his silencer. :nenau

Mine is an ADV but it was fine for the first 5 months. I havent fitted anything or changed anything. The pictures of that Remus Exhaust blow my theory that the exhaust flap might be sticking when hot if he's getting that in his silencer. :nenau

I.e, something has changed.
It might be a long-shot, but the O2 sensor is regarded a wear-item. thus the built in self test of the sensor for the Euro 4 bikes.
But honestly, I find it hard to belive that the O2 sensor alone will make such a difference, even if the O2 sensor basically almost completely sets the pace for the fueling.

In cruise, AFR only varies from about 14.5 to 14.9 most of the time, not 50%. This is the hottest EGT range and is essentially the same on all bmw bikes.

The R1200 has two sensors, one for each header and they’re both hot. Also, if the sensors did drift a lot (highly unlikely) EGT would be reduced.

What does the bike do with a standard silencer on it, stock one from BMW, could there have been something wrong with the silencer from Remus.......

The standard can, you can fry an egg on it it gets that hot. It takes the skin off your fingers if you touch it. As for the remus it as a fixed baffle, Hilltop told my that the end of the baffle inside the exhaust is cupped like a trumpet mouth piece,on a much gentler scale.and when the exhaust gases hits it cause the gases to fan out to the sides before exiting the can. He described it to me like a meteor entering the atmosphere effect around that part of the can.I spoke to remus uk who have done 100s of hours of testing of this can on lc gs and gsa bikes which is homologated and have never seen anything like it. They replaced it with a titanium can under warranty which is in my garage waiting..........
What does the bike do with a standard silencer on it, stock one from BMW, could there have been something wrong with the silencer from Remus.......

From your description is sounds like either the engine is misfiring or the exhaust valve are opening too early. In both cases that would mean fuel is burning in the exhaust.

From your description is sounds like either the engine is misfiring or the exhaust valve are opening too early. In both cases that would mean fuel is burning in the exhaust.

but then:nenau engine must run badly then, surely you would feel something was not right............

but then:nenau engine must run badly then, surely you would feel something was not right............
Ive never rode a gsa before i got this and before this bike i had a zzr 1400 so yes the bike feels lumpy at times but im sure its just the boxer way. The after sales manager at Bowker bmw told me its not right after he road it, over to Southport. when he returned he put the bike in the garage and the pipes were glowing from front to back. His words were i could not ride that bike for a long length of time as it is really uncomfortable and the heat is to much.........

Ive never rode a gsa before i got this and before this bike i had a zzr 1400 so yes the bike feels lumpy at times but im sure its just the boxer way. The after sales manager at Bowker bmw told me its not right after he road it, over to Southport. when he returned he put the bike in the garage and the pipes were glowing from front to back. His words were i could not ride that bike for a long length of time as it is really uncomfortable and the heat is to much.........

You really need to get another garage to go test it.

Surely he offered to look into it?

Surely he offered to look into it?
There hands are tied they say they can only do any investigation work on the bike if germany authorize it, (that means they dont get paid) They have now taken a full ecu download which is at bmw berlin waiting to be analysed by the super dooper technical man who is on holiday till 3rd september. Check attached message from BMW-UK
Hello Peter

Thanks for your patience while I looked into this for you.

I've spoken with Stephen Moyers from Bowker, and he's explained the situation with your bike to me.

I've been told that your issue has been raised with BMW Technical in Germany, and that due to it being an unusual issue, they need the expertise of a particular Senior Technician.

As you've been advised, this techinician isn't back off of annual leave until Monday 3 September.

While I can appreciate your frustration with not being able to ride your bike, I can assure you that this issue is being looked into - but it may take a little time to get to the bottom of the cause.

Steve has also told me that if you can get in touch with him, he'll be happy to look into arranging a courtesy bike for you to use while your bike is being repaired.

I'm sorry you can't enjoy your bike right now, but I'm confident that Bowker will be able to resolve this for you soon.

If there's anything else you need in the meantime, please let me know.

Thanks

Rob

There hands are tied they say they can only do any investigation work on the bike if germany authorize it, (that means they dont get paid) They have now taken a full ecu download which is at bmw berlin waiting to be analysed by the super dooper technical man who is on holiday till 3rd september. Check attached message from BMW-UK
Hello Peter

Thanks for your patience while I looked into this for you.

I've spoken with Stephen Moyers from Bowker, and he's explained the situation with your bike to me.

I've been told that your issue has been raised with BMW Technical in Germany, and that due to it being an unusual issue, they need the expertise of a particular Senior Technician.

As you've been advised, this techinician isn't back off of annual leave until Monday 3 September.

While I can appreciate your frustration with not being able to ride your bike, I can assure you that this issue is being looked into - but it may take a little time to get to the bottom of the cause.

Steve has also told me that if you can get in touch with him, he'll be happy to look into arranging a courtesy bike for you to use while your bike is being repaired.

I'm sorry you can't enjoy your bike right now, but I'm confident that Bowker will be able to resolve this for you soon.

If there's anything else you need in the meantime, please let me know.

Thanks

Rob

Will be interesting to see their conclusion.
Best of luck

The standard can, you can fry an egg on it it gets that hot. It takes the skin off your fingers if you touch it. As for the remus it as a fixed baffle, Hilltop told my that the end of the baffle inside the exhaust is cupped like a trumpet mouth piece,on a much gentler scale.and when the exhaust gases hits it cause the gases to fan out to the sides before exiting the can. He described it to me like a meteor entering the atmosphere effect around that part of the can.I spoke to remus uk who have done 100s of hours of testing of this can on lc gs and gsa bikes which is homologated and have never seen anything like it. They replaced it with a titanium can under warranty which is in my garage waiting..........

FairPlay to Remus for replacing it. I would be taking that loaner bike until yours is sorted. It also helps focus their minds on resolving it.
Any reason you got a hexacone rather than the Remus 8?

FairPlay to Remus for replacing it. I would be taking that loaner bike until yours is sorted. It also helps focus their minds on resolving it.
Any reason you got a hexacone rather than the Remus 8?
The remus 8 is very similar looking to the standard can, in my opinion

The remus 8 is very similar looking to the standard can, in my opinion

Plus I went for the carbon can because I thought the heat would dissipate quicker with the air flow.....

Back
Top Bottom