Right leg under thigh getting cooked

Not on my Euro 4 it isn't. This is not a case of "they all do that, Sir" because they don't all do it. For me it follows that there's something wrong with the ones that do.

I have no problem at all, and it was hot today, although only out for half an hour.

Just ridden to Poland and back in temperatures topping out at 40 degrees never found any issues with heat on my legs it did feel as if I was riding with a hair dryer in my face though 2017 lc exclusive :beerjug:

Not on my Euro 4 it isn't. This is not a case of "they all do that, Sir" because they don't all do it. For me it follows that there's something wrong with the ones that do.

My apologies I didn’t mean to imply they all do it. It has only happened to me a handful of times. I think only really on motorway sections. Never during spirited rides - probably changing direction and airflow directions for heat to build up. It also never happens on my commute into city centre where, particularly in this recent glorious weather, the fan would be kicking in regularly to cool things down.
I think it’s either the cat or hot air from the radiator/fan curling around the riders leg and creating a warm air pocket behind the riders leg.

They're coming to pick it up on friday after seeing this!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGZKQXtvkQwhttp://

I said it was hot!!!

Yikes! If the flappy valve thing hasn't failed yet then it probably will with those temperatures. I find it interesting that some bikes suffer this and others don't, so there must be something different about the ones that do, which is strange given that they should all be identical.

Must therefore be some sort of fault, either faulty cat restricting gas flow, flappy valve not fully open, or the most worrying, the ECU for whatever reason, maybe a sensor failure, erroneously providing very lean mixture to the engine in some situations, causing hot running. Not great if this is the case as you could conceivably get damage to valves and pistons in the long term.

They're coming to pick it up on friday after seeing this!!

I said it was hot!!!

Sweet mother!

That after 7 minutes? I would be surprised to see that after a very very enthusiastic set of laps on a track.
Why Friday? I would expect next day and a swap of a bike. And definitely not accepting just “o we updated the software and it should be fine now”. Who knows what’s gotten cooked.

What happened to glowing a nice cherry red or orange - is that a bmw option to glow lavender :)

Ive just returned from Austria via Germany and it was reaching temps of 38c and mine and my pillys right leg and feet was melting.me and a pal went out for a 200 mile ride over in to italy and he said he was sure my exhaust was glowing when we went through a badly lit tunnel. Now after seeing this video im taking mine back bowkers preston for them to have another look as they told me it was the mudflicker stopping the air flow...... i dont think so........

Ive just returned from Austria via Germany and it was reaching temps of 38c and mine and my pillys right leg and feet was melting.me and a pal went out for a 200 mile ride over in to italy and he said he was sure my exhaust was glowing when we went through a badly lit tunnel. Now after seeing this video im taking mine back bowkers preston for them to have another look as they told me it was the mudflicker stopping the air flow...... i dont think so........
Just run my GSA1200 home 30 miles on M6, a nice cool day and i put the bike in the garge and took these pictures
dc8aec58c615e5de05c01dffb9ccccf5.jpg
f90ccf7f92f307769f3908ce5ae6aad3.jpg
6ab02f773a24dfa0c3421afd49c78bbc.jpg
fe499935d90d0ee23bd6dc6dfef8f9d0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Oh my! WTF?!
Just run my GSA1200 home 30 miles on M6, a nice cool day and i put the bike in the garge and took these pictures
dc8aec58c615e5de05c01dffb9ccccf5.jpg
f90ccf7f92f307769f3908ce5ae6aad3.jpg
6ab02f773a24dfa0c3421afd49c78bbc.jpg
fe499935d90d0ee23bd6dc6dfef8f9d0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back Bmw today and left bike with them. Ive told told of my concerns, regards valves and pistons regards heat damage and they said not to worry they will be intouch with germany today. I will keep you informed.

Where's the oil in the sight glass - it looks like the picture is taken with the engine running, or the your oil has no colour to it and/or it's overfilled?

The the engines running as it cooled very quickly and the images were needed for the bmw dealer

Where's the oil in the sight glass - it looks like the picture is taken with the engine running, or the your oil has no colour to it and/or it's overfilled?

I would say it’s running or the pipes would stop glowing by the time all the pictures were taken.

I would say it’s running or the pipes would stop glowing by the time all the pictures were taken.

That was my point. I'm reasonably confident if I kept my engine running with no airflow the pipes would glow - the images give no idea of the internal temperatures, which are the important ones.

That was my point. I'm reasonably confident if I kept my engine running with no airflow the pipes would glow - the images give no idea of the internal temperatures, which are the important ones.

I would agree to a point. I have seen pictures of melted oil sight glasses where people Left bikes idling in garages. I don’t think you would get that level of a glow if everything was running as it should or we would see more pictures on forums of the same thing - probably get a subset of lunatics deliberately getting their pipes to glow.

I would notice my airheads glow like that in the dark when stopped under certain conditions so not sure glowing, single wall headers in of itself is a sign something's wrong?

Back
Top Bottom