Right leg under thigh getting cooked

We should all go out and do nighttime rides at speed at night with a mate and report back :)
I can understand the fronts of the headers got red hot, but for the rest of it??? The exhaust gases are that hot my number plate as melted out of shape lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I can understand the fronts of the headers got red hot, but for the rest of it??? The exhaust gases are that hot my number plate as melted out of shape lol

With exhaust as hot as it appears to be, I’d have thought there would be other symptoms too? Reduced power perhaps?

Since the bikes natural fueling is designed at the hottest egt, the only way to get hotter than that is to have unburned fuel from misfiring, in the exhaust. When that happens it can literally burn inside the header and the cat. But if there’s no misfiring then that’s not happening.

I don’t buy the dealers blockage theory. That would result in reduced power not higher temperatures.

Hi Roger
Ive been looking on line for some ideas, and found this on pistonheads...
weak mixtures are difficul to fire, the first part of the exhaust is actually hotter than the combustion chamber, so if it is weak on the overrun the mixture may not fire in the chamber, but explodes as soon as it reaches the hotter exhaust manifold, hence the pops and bangs, I also found something about quickshifters when changing down, regards the mm seconds of ignition shutdown allowing un-ignited fuel through to the exhaust.
What do you think??????

If you can find someone with a FLIR infrared thermal camera you could compare a ‘good’ bike with yours under the same static conditions and then report this info to BMW. My works FLIR only goes to 380C so probably not high enough?

The GSA as been in BMW for 2 weeks and the dealer agrees that some thing is not right with the bike, they've took it out for a good ride and returned it to the garage and and its glowing. bmw Germany have all the data off the ecu. Which they are munching over to find out whats causing the issue. I must admit im getting a little impatient waiting for them to get back in touch with me. I needed a bike for this weekend and they have give me my bike back(they say they have all the info they need) so i can use it. I took it to work on monday morning at 6.am it was raining and the dash temp was 13c and my foot on the right peg was unpleasantly hot and my left peg was pleasantly warm. The pipes were white when i pulled up after a 30mile trip, i switched it off and let it cool down before locking it away, just so know one would burn them selfs as they walked passed her lol

Dealers Names?

Seems we are all missing a trick here (unless it's not allowed in which case feel free to delete this comment) but we are all talking about "my dealer" and most of them if not all have stated that they have never heard of the problem and can't find any issues with our bikes.

Surely if we put their details in these comments we can ask our dealers to contact the others and compare notes etc. I'm sure mine thinks I'm making it up but then again I sent mine a copy of this thread and 4 others asking him to read them and he admitted he hadn't. I had to ring him on the phone and literally read the comments out to him. Then he agreed it was "interesting" They also still haven't taken it for a test ride like I asked them too just had it ticking over for hours in the workshop and it didn't get too hot. FFS!!!!!

So I'll go first, my bike is and has been at the dealer below for the last 3 weeks and they can't find anything wrong with it. They say they have asked BMW UK for their input and according to BMW UK "the weather has been warm lately" I have also contacted BMW Germany who have passed my issue on to.....wait for it........BMW UK...... :blast

Pidcocks BMW
Long Eaton
Nottingham
Phone: 0115 946 2233

Contact Andy.

Get your dealers to ring him, and i'll get mine to ring yours. Might help?

Simon

Hi Simon
BOWKER MOTORRAD
Customs Way, Preston PR2 2UW

01772 767300

I got a phone off the after sales manager Steve Wilson yesterday,he had spoke to bmw uk for an update and the reply was that the person analysing all the data on my bike is away on Holiday till the 3rd of September.(Fuming) The after sales manager as taken the bike out for a road test and agrees that the bike is not right, but they have done all the tests that bmw have asked and all the readings have come back as normal, They have had this problem before,and the bike was returned to germany and the customer had is bike replaced. So dont let Bmw uk or your dealer tell you that there is not a problem because there is and they dont know what it is.............
The after sales manger @ bowkers is leaving today and as apologised that he as not sorted for me before he left, so god knows whats gonna happen on monday.....

Ive now put an official Complaint in to Bmw uk and hopefully this will speed things up???????

My next move will be the motorcycle news and other publishers regards this problem and hopefully get a bit of publicity out there and if it starts effecting there sales maybe they will do something about it.

Hi Simon
BOWKER MOTORRAD
Customs Way, Preston PR2 2UW

01772 767300

I got a phone off the after sales manager Steve Wilson yesterday,he had spoke to bmw uk for an update and the reply was that the person analysing all the data on my bike is away on Holiday till the 3rd of September.(Fuming) The after sales manager as taken the bike out for a road test and agrees that the bike is not right, but they have done all the tests that bmw have asked and all the readings have come back as normal, They have had this problem before,and the bike was returned to germany and the customer had is bike replaced. So dont let Bmw uk or your dealer tell you that there is not a problem because there is and they dont know what it is.............
The after sales manger @ bowkers is leaving today and as apologised that he as not sorted for me before he left, so god knows whats gonna happen on monday.....

Ive now put an official Complaint in to Bmw uk and hopefully this will speed things up???????

My next move will be the motorcycle news and other publishers regards this problem and hopefully get a bit of publicity out there and if it starts effecting there sales maybe they will do something about it.

They have far to much influence in the bike press, publicite etc, just get a simple lawyer to send a legal letter to BMW UK that always gets any company jumping hoops.

just get a simple lawyer to send a legal letter to BMW UK that always gets any company jumping hoops.

Saying what - what specifically is the problem/defect with the engine?

Internal combustion engines by their nature get very hot. The people who design and build the engines say the data is normal.

Bearing in mind that if you are sending a 'legal letter' you need to define with the fault is and I'm not convinced that a right leg getting hot will make them jump through hoops...

All bikes get hot, it would seem. :D
Just run my GSA1200 home 30 miles on M6, a nice cool day and i put the bike in the garge and took these pictures
This hot really
eb53e6bc43b5b3aa9714ffbd375baf0f.jpg
58d0244d4e0e04f5db85f6e21423dbd1.jpg
f04357d69751780936aa4385c39bd73e.jpg
0ec2b1136added66500c4be5864bc3dc.jpg
4a7c84f711d32ab39b044ad238fc7e5d.jpg

That is very, VERY wrong. Show those pictures to your dealer pronto.
Could be exhaust valve seat gone and letting by gasses.

Thank you thank you thank you ive been telling them to compression test it hot and cold and see what the differance is and all they are saying is...

Bloody computer says Yes its fine aaaarrrrggghhhh

Ishawy, keep the pressure on ,it was my bike that Bowkers returned to BMW, if they've had more than 2 attempts to rectify the fault,then the Dealer/Manufacturer are obliged to replace the vehicle with a like to like product, in my case it was a new bike as the original (faulty one) was only 6 months old, I couldn't fault the system it worked for me, and BMW are aware that certain bikes are affected , and I never did find out what the actual cause was ,but the new bike is great with no issues, cheers Livo.

Saying what - what specifically is the problem/defect with the engine?

Internal combustion engines by their nature get very hot. The people who design and build the engines say the data is normal.

Bearing in mind that if you are sending a 'legal letter' you need to define with the fault is and I'm not convinced that a right leg getting hot will make them jump through hoops...

VW also said everthing was fine.........:blast in the USA they had to buy everyones car back that asked them to, and give a bonus of several thousand dollars, in Europe they are sending letters to people who complain hoping to wear them down, so I expect BMW to use the same tactics in Europe, you have to keep on the pressure, they will eventually change your bike.

If I were concerned about exhaust gas temperatures I’d make a couple tests. First get a GS-911 and read out the error codes. If there were none then the engine is combusting fuel as designed at an average air-fuel-ratio of 14.7:1. This is the hottest exhaust gas temperature and is where the bike/engine is designed to run. Second check the valve timing, there have been a few threads on other forums that have shown valve timing errors. I’m not saying it produced a hotter exhaust but releasing combustion earlier into the header might increase the heat.

Ishawy, you’re bike looks like it was put in the garage on centre stand and left running ?

Back
Top Bottom