Right leg under thigh getting cooked

blues n twos

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well I know it's hot but fook me :eek: the heat from the cat on my bike is burning the underneath of my right thigh :eek:

Thought at first it might be hot air from the radiator but alas no :confused: I put cruise on at 80mph and put my gloved hand below my thigh and it got almost to hot to bear :eek: WTF is going on here? :nenau

You would think at 80mph the heat would dissipate behind you but it was like having a blow torch under your leg. And I'm not riding in shorts :rolleyes: summer 3 pants.

Not sure what the answer is on this one :nenau remove the cat maybe? :nenau

Anybody else experiencing this on the new LC?

Comments / thoughts / experiences welcomed :thumb

Jon :beerjug:

Both my feet get hot when out on a big run but both pots are just in front so was thinking they were to blame.

Not had an issue with mine in 30 degree heat. The cat is in the downpipes so that's not your problem.

I run the Akra end can which gives a little more clearance between the seat and the silencer and being a lanky git always have the seat in the high position which may help ;)

I've ridden in over 32 degree heat with no issues. Not sure what the answer is, but check with NOG tomorrow.:thumb

Both my feet get hot when out on a big run but both pots are just in front so was thinking they were to blame.

My feet are fine. Just under my right thigh :nenau

Not had an issue with mine in 30 degree heat. The cat is in the downpipes so that's not your problem.

I run the Akra end can which gives a little more clearance between the seat and the silencer and being a lanky git always have the seat in the high position which may help ;)

Hi Paul, I've got the Akro as well but my cat is Deffo not in the down pipes, it's just before the exhaust valve by centre stand. See pic.

If you value your warranty do not do the above !

All noted :thumb

I've ridden in over 32 degree heat with no issues. Not sure what the answer is, but check with NOG tomorrow.:thumb

Yes I will give them a call as it gets so hot it's painful :(

I've noticed the same on my GSA the last 2 weeks ! Let me know what NOG say. My commute is 66m each way but I'm noticing it 10miles down the road. Always at end of the day though.....not start. I guess it's obviously warmer to start off with. I wondered whether there was a loose connector or something.....but after 66miles I keep forgetting to check...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's only this hot for 2 weeks a year, so come winter you'll be glad of this!:D

Yes, the CAT needs to be very hot to do it's job. Noticed in warmer climates that my feet gets cooked. Not so sure what is happening with the GS LC. It may be from the swirling of the warm air that is concentrated in that region due to the design of the rear end. If your heel and calf is not getting cooked than it may be the answer. Try ceramic coating to dissipate the heat quicker.

Either this is a GSA thing due to the extra wind blocking of the extended side panels, or your bike is running way too lean and should be checked by the dealer. I've had nothing like this problem on my '13 LC in temps up past 100F.

On a ride back from Germany a couple of weeks ago at a steady 85 on the French motorway my right thigh felt a bit warmer than usual so whilst cruise control took care of things i put my hand to the right side of the bike and the heat was instantly noticeable through my summer glove and appeared to be coming from the rear but I assumed it was the pannier funnelling the heat from the exhaust back towards me (I've got a Remus Hexacone Titanium fitted). Apart from that run I can't say I've really noticed too much heat apart from the usual hot feet when in traffic

I've just read through the thread on adv rider again. I still think it's the cat as my knees do not get hot. Specifically the right one where the fan is.

It's worse at 80mph than it is in busy town filtering :nenau thought it would be the other way round myself.

Will probably be a god send in the winter though :rolleyes: :D need a nice carbon fibre heat shield above the cat I think. If only I knew how to make one :rolleyes:

Will give NOG a call tomorrow for advice.

Jon

I've noticed it as well seems hotter at high speeds not in town . I'm guessing an akro will solve it as had the same on a KTM 950sm . Does anyone with a non GSA wc have the same problem?

Sounds more like the air flow than radiated heat from the cat does having the panniers on or off make a difference or a hugger or mudsling changing the air flow?

Sounds more like the air flow than radiated heat from the cat does having the panniers on or off make a difference or a hugger or mudsling changing the air flow?

I've not got side panniers but have a mudsling. Can't see that making a huge difference other than a small amount of air not being pushed forward from the rotation of the tyre.

Odd that it's at higher speeds. I understand the more fuel your shoving through the engine the hotter the cat will get but we all know the wind blast from sticking ya arm out as it nearly get ripped off. I'm guessing that the shape of the GSA front end causes a pocket of almost still air causing the heat to radiate to your thigh, calf and foot on right side.

Jon

I've noticed it as well seems hotter at high speeds not in town . I'm guessing an akro will solve it as had the same on a KTM 950sm . Does anyone with a non GSA wc have the same problem?

I've got the Akro so I'm wondering if that adds to the issue or not. Might try the stock end can for a day or two as I collected bike with Akro fitted.

Jon

Bad fuelling will cause the cat to run excessively hotter, missfires (generally unnoticeable)...
Air leaks from manifold joint gaskets..
Possible to compare using temperature indicator sticks or labels..

Worth considering if it's down to only a few GSA WC, can't say I've noticed anything on my GS WC

Good luck to the super tech diagnosing that one tho..

Either this is a GSA thing due to the extra wind blocking of the extended side panels, or your bike is running way too lean and should be checked by the dealer. I've had nothing like this problem on my '13 LC in temps up past 100F.

Yep...I live in the tropics and never noticed excessive heat on my 2 hr test ride....

Back
Top Bottom