Wilbers and Luggage???

Magicmat

Reaction score
Disclaimer:

I know there is a search function and ive looked but am struggling on my phone.

Ive started the first leg of my touring journey and am visiting friends in Nottingham for a few of days.

During the ride down. The rear seemed very low.

Should i be adjusting the pre load?

Im a noob at this, looking at the shock it looks like i can adjust the height and preload compression, but it looks different to coil overs ive adjusted in the past.

If anyone can explain to me, what i need to do id appreciate it.

Or if anyone is glued up in Nottingham and wants beer money to help me adjust it, id really appreciate it.

Knew id forgotten to do something !

Disclaimer:

I know there is a search function and ive looked but am struggling on my phone.

Ive started the first leg of my touring journey and am visiting friends in Nottingham for a few of days.

During the ride down. The rear seemed very low.

Should i be adjusting the pre load?

Im a noob at this, looking at the shock it looks like i can adjust the height and preload compression, but it looks different to coil overs ive adjusted in the past.

If anyone can explain to me, what i need to do id appreciate it.

Or if anyone is glued up in Nottingham and wants beer money to help me adjust it, id really appreciate it.

Knew id forgotten to do something !
Yep you need to adjust the pre load
turn the Knob that is mounted on the frame clockwise and that will add pre load
i would wind it all the way out first and start from there and keep adjusting untill it feels right

as you increase load and ramp up the preload, you may want to give it a couple of extra clicks above standard of rebound adjustment. that's the knurled knob near the bottom of the shock. turn it clockwise looking from the bottom of the shock. don't go wild.

leave the front shock on min pre load and stock damping position.

i cant remember for sure what the standard position is for sure, but i think it might be 18 clicks back from fully in (clockwise).

Ride height is something that you set pretty much as a one off although, TBH, I didn't know you could do this on WIlbers shocks (I'm sure mine don't have that adjustment?). On shocks that have adjustable ride height it's usually facilitated by 'screwing' the damper rod in and out of the top or bottom shock mount.

Pre-load is the amount you 'load' the spring in order to compensate for the weight you put on the bike.
On Wilbers this can by hydraulicly adjusted by a remote knob/wheel or by the more conventional way of screwing down a ring that the spring rests again (usually with a C spanner). The more weight you put on the bike the more preload you dial in.

Assuming the shock is set up for your weight (Wilbers are usually custom built to your weight) then there should need to be little preload riding solo. Solo + luggage approx plus a quarter of the range, rider + pillion approx plus half of the range and rider + pilion + luggage approx plus 3/4 to max of the range (hope that makes sense).

As you add more weight it can also help if you increase the damping a little bit.

I'm in Nottingham and around much of the day Sat & Sun so happy to show you what I mean if that helps - PM me if you wan to pop over.

Andres

Photos ! Its alittle different to the stuff ive adjusted in the past

u2usatyt.jpg
7ame3uje.jpg
agagabus.jpg
sajureqa.jpg

Andreas, ive just bought the bike, and it was set up i think for a solo rider that was heavier than me.

But now its got a pillion and lots of luggage ! :(

Im in woodthorpe this weekend if thats anywhere near you? Or i could come to you?

they have uploaded.

preload is done with the remote hydraulic adjuster, which you have but haven't pictured. it's on the other end of the hose shown in the last pic.

damping is done with the knurled knob in pics 1 and 2.

The red wheel at the base is damping.

The hose off the top of the shock would suggest hydraulic preload adjustment - does it lead to a knob/wheel. If so, just wind that in 1/2 to 3/4 of it's full travel and that should be approx correct for you and luggage.

If the hose leads to a small canister with two brass screws they are for low and high speed damping.

If you start playing with damping settings make sure you record where you started from (assuming you are happy with where it started from).

Andres

Yeah i have a red preload knob, just wasnt sure if i should up the pre load on the spring.

The wilbers are 40mm lower, if i can raise them at all that would be perfect

Andreas, ive just bought the bike, and it was set up i think for a solo rider that was heavier than me.

But now its got a pillion and lots of luggage ! :(

Im in woodthorpe this weekend if thats anywhere near you? Or i could come to you?

Pop over to mine Wood'oop is 5 mins away on the bike - I'll PM you my details

Andres

Just for info re the rear wilbers remote preload....

Mine looks like its got 50 clicks from fully out to fully in ..... :thumb

Just off in half an hour two up with camping gear... so wound mine up to 35 clicks..... will see how it goes :)

If in doubt give Revs Racing a call at Halesowen, they are authorised Wilbers dealers and fitters and very helpful.

Revs racing and Andres ( Outtomunch ) both absolute stars and gents.

Bikes sorted now, and i also got a cracking cup of tea,

Thanks again all

Matt

Measure carrier frame height unloaded. (Weight on wheels). Load bike then turn up preload until the original height is restored.
Alternatively crank it up and judge by leg reach to the floor. Damping might need to be upped as well but judge that from how the loaded bike rides.

Yep, dragging up a near year-old thread... Trying to avoid starting a new one, and this seems a good a thread to ask my question on...

The Wilbers shock in OP's pics has a black spring - is that the cheaper "Blackline" shock, or the dearer "Blueline" one fitted with black springs?

Assuming the the cheaper Blackline shocks would be grand for commuting & weekend spins, could they also be considered up to the job of touring, loaded with one rider and a modest bit of luggage (no pillion), including some light off-road action?

http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wunderlich/suspension/view/sku/540-0186-01/

http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wunderlich/suspension/view/sku/530-0019-02/

The blurb for both front & rear says (bolding by me):

"Stepless adjustable spring preload by using the included spanner tool.

With the radial-piston and the progressive shim-package you’ll always get the optimal damping.

High-quality, maintenance-free spherical plain bearings promise long and healthy life.

5 years warranty with ABE.
"

A pair (for 1100GS) would be €780 (excl shipping), which seems pretty cheap compared to most other options from what I gather?

Back
Top Bottom