Bumot Panniers - R1200GS LC

Fluffmeister

I think I'm a Guzzista now
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Today my Bumot Panniers landed from Cliff at Two Wheel Trekkers / http://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/

First off Cliff is a great guy to deal with as many of you will know, and the service was first class. Friendly advice, and a great price with next day delivery. I had Vario's with the bike when I bought it, but I really miss the top loading panniers of my old GSA TC, so fancied another set of something similar. Bumot are pretty new in the UK, made in Bulgaria so BULgaria MOTorcycle = BUMOT.

They landed with UPS today, very well packed from the factory, powder coated inside and out and the coating looks like it will withstand a nuclear strike at ground zero. The panniers have resistive hinges, similar to Jesse's, which mean the lids stop at whatever angle you leave them, which I like as it eliminates the need for a retainer strap.

The Pannier frames are powder coated black, in a very heavyweight crinkle effect, that again looks very durable. I took the option for the toolbox to be included as well, which gives an extra 4 litres of very useful storage, lockable of course.

Bumot have put some real thought into the design of these frames, as they use existing mount points, and the main load bearing brackets slot down through the sockets that the Vario's attach to. Fitting took about an hour, instructions are clear, with pictures and was an absolute breeze. I like the way the pannier frame integrates into the rear footrest hanger, and with the panniers off, they are not to obtrusive. All in all 10/10 so far. They are yet to be tested in anger, but on Friday I am off to Italy on the GS so will report back after that trip. From fitting and mounting them, I think they are going to be perfect, and long lived.

So, onto some pictures
These pictures are showing the main "hanger brackets" for the panniers fitted

Now onto getting the side frames fitted, to do this you undo the footrest hangers to give around a 5mm gap, slip a spacer into the leading gap, and slot the pannier frame into the other gap, 2 bolts then secure them to the frame, then repeat on the other side, and fit the rear spacer / strengthening bar.

Some pics showing the resistive hinges in action and to give you an idea of the build quality

The Top Box is arriving Wednesday, but here's the panniers mounted up on the bike. They are actually no wider than the bars, it's a bit of an optical illusion from the photograph.

So to summarise, a great quality product, very easy to fit, everything married up perfectly and the instructions where clear (Not that you need them as it's pretty obvious how it goes together). Fantastic service from Cliff at Two Wheel Trekkers, great price, fast delivery and well packed.

I'll report back on how they do on my trip down through to Italy next week and on how they hold up with the repeated runs up to Inverness lugging a few laptops in them and other gear for a week at work. I guess I better test them on the M&S run to, as we don't have a Waitrose :)

I know that's a shit load of pictures for some panniers, and some will be thinking "That's a shit load of pictures for some panniers you cock", but it may help someone in making a decision if they are looking for alloy panniers for a toilet.

Cheers all

Tony.

nevermind the panniers , tell us about the toolbox please.

great pics , very helpful ,i hope that large tool box isn't needed enjoy the trip

Look like a good design. Tops are very like Cajas, but frames look a lot better - very like Touratech.

Big question........ How much?

Al

Hi Tony

Thanks for posting the thread about the panniers, I think they are the best out there for the money and so did Adventure Bike TV in the recent luggage test, if you have not seen it look at Episode 3 www.adventurebiketv.com

Toolbox is designed to fit the Bumot frames and is not available seperately (unless I get a couple of people wanting them on the basis that its down to you to make them fit on whatever frames you have)

:beerjug:

Cliff

Good pics, i must admit after the metal boxes on a gsa i think the wc varios are pretty shit. Personally speaking of course.

Why do they have rivet heads around the periphery of the base when they look otherwise like welded construction?

A shame the lower leading edge isn't angled back to save your legs if you end up paddling along a muddy track.

Why do they have rivet heads around the periphery of the base when they look otherwise like welded construction?

They are welded, then for whatever reason, maybe extra strength?, they have this additional section riveted and sealed in the base.

The bottom of the pannier is welded on the corners, then the base is dropped in and glued/sealed in place and a rivets added, this gives the pannier much more strength and means the bottom of the pannier is 4mm thick, the plastic corners are then riveted on to give protection to the powder coat in the event of minor drops.

The only panniers on the market that give an angled bottom to protect the ankles and leg are the Jesse panniers, at least on the Bumot's there is a bit of an angle so you dont get a sharp edge in the back of your leg when walking the bike, better than some on the market.

Are there pannier bags also avalable for these ?
There are liner bags for the Bumot panniers, I still need to add them to the website, we are to busy at the moment to do that, we have a list of stuff to do on the website but with the recent open day, getting a new catalogue prepared , the Adventure and Overland show this weekend and then Intermot next week we have not got time for the website at the moment, we have them in stock so if needed give us a call, they will be £36 each.

Cliff

Thanks for the info Cliff
Do you have any pictures of the pannier bags ?

Thanks for the info Cliff
Do you have any pictures of the pannier bags ?

No I dont, thats one reason why i have not yet got around to adding them to the website, neither have Bumot on their website, its something I hope to get sorted we we get back from intermot in a coupl;e of weeks but not got time now, got to load two vans today so we can go to the Adventure & Overland show at Stratford and also for Germany

If anyone who has had a set of me can post a piccie that would be great

Cliff

Tony

I know you posted this a while ago but what torx drive did you use on the exhaust side to fit the frames?

I am trying to fit mine and had to remove the exhaust to loosen the footrest hangers but once the pannier frame is in place, I can't do up the exhaust bolt!!

Cheers
Andy

That was a while back mate iirc what I did was use a torx bit from a screwdriver set and an open ended spanner to tighten it, maybe a 7mm.

Basically stuck the torx bit in and used the spanner to tighten it This type of bit

87a90554e04fdf42a685e795cbc8596d.jpg

Hope this helps

I'm looking at getting a set of Bumot for my F800GS. Saw them a couple of years ago at the Overland Show. I was properly impressed with them.

Sometimes I astound myself with my stupidity - didn't think of doing it like that! I will give it a try in the morning.

Cheers
Andy

That was a while back mate iirc what I did was use a torx bit from a screwdriver set and an open ended spanner to tighten it, maybe a 7mm.

Basically stuck the torx bit in and used the spanner to tighten it This type of bit

87a90554e04fdf42a685e795cbc8596d.jpg

Hope this helps

Thats basically what i do when i fit them except i use one that is 10mm and use a ratched ring spanners, makes it quick and easy !

Back
Top Bottom