SW Motech Dakar soft panniers

Soft pannier frames--

Decided they hung far too far out from the side of the bike, took an angle grinder to them and lopped off about 35mm from each frame leg.:eek:

Cleaned up the 'new' ends and chamfered them to an appropriate angle (so the panniers would point at the hand grips), got them welded / repainted. :thumb2

Refitted to the bike and IMO they look much better with the panniers closer in to the bike, (same clearance on the silencer). :thumb2:thumb2

any chance of some pix?

Original frames / panniers -

Cut / modified frames -

with panniers -

Now panniers about 1000mm wide though the pics don't show the improvement in less width too well.

Last edited:
Has anyone got a good contrast pic of these bags loaded up and in the field that I could use for AM Handbook 7?
Could not find anything elsewhere and prefer not to use studio shots where possible.
thanks

Chris

I used my Dakar soft panniers on a trip just last week and have several pics BUT I had yellow waterproof covers on so do not show the logos. :nenau

Original frames / panniers -

Cut / modified frames -

with panniers -

Now panniers about 1000mm wide though the pics don't show the improvement in less width too well.

PLEASE REPOST

Sorry pics gone, but what I did essentially was to bolt the frames to a 20mm thick piece of plank then grind off the frames from the L shaped mount brackets(these being bolted to the plank kept their orientation right for the bike mount holes.
I then ground off a piece of the frame legs and angled the cut on the legs to offer them up to the L brackets which would bring them closer in to the bike and angled so as to avoid contact with the silencer. Got them rewelded frames to L brackets and the orientation was still maintained on the bike bolt holes.

Only talking about 30/40mm but they now look better on the bike with the panniers on.

Back
Top Bottom