2 stroke 500cc twin off road looks like fun

Dansin

Reaction score
In the same way as riding a 500cc motogp stroker in the wet looks easy.

I bet you'll never wear out a front tyre as it'll never be in contact with the ground. :D

I rode one for a 8 mile almost straight offroad route and back again a few years ago. I was almost in tears of terror by the time I got back to the start :eek:

Took me a while to get over that experience I have to be honest, and yes your right the front tyre doesn't get much use.

He overtook me a while back on the back wheel in full Supermoto trim :eek::D

Looks like a normal CR500 single to me not a twin ? Had one in the 90s great bike a two stroke without the powerband it was all powerband :D

Sold mine to a mate for £300 after not using it for a couple of years he pestered me for months to sell it to him only to have it stolen a couple of weeks later from his shed I just wish I had left it were it was in the garage. :(

It was a 1989 first of the upside down fork models with everything in red it was also the only bike I could do good wheelies on start in second and go up the box or just open the throttle in top for the same effect happy days :D

The 500s are nothing like the smaller two strokes with the peaky power delivery they are more like a four stroke and pull from nothing with big flat torque and dont rev a lot you tend to ride them by short shifting they go flat at the top and tend to crack the pistons if over reved not good when the piston comes our the bottom of the crank case.

A lot of ones for sale have has the bottom of casings welded up so if looking for one check as splitting the engine will mean buying new casings

I would love to get another one but the prices they fetch now is a bit silly :eek:

Not the one I had but same year

MY_1989_HONDA_CR500R_779786.JPG

The obvious question is why are these not coming back with direct injection. Emissions are slashed, mpg improves considerably and because they don't chunter on part throttle the pistons don't knock themselves to bits. Less so anyway.

Back
Top Bottom