knoydart....

Yodagoat

Reaction score
Do you think it would be possible to sneak along to the old forge on a wee dirt bike? Anyone know anyone who's tried it?

Took my mountain bike there on the ferry from Mallaig. You need to ask the ferry man.

It sounds like you answer your own question by using 'sneak'. I could see this ending in bother if you have to sneak it out there. Isn't it one of the last genuine wilderness areas? Shouldn't it be left that way?

Depends what your definition of wilderness is. There's a 4x4 school that uses some of the tracks in Knoydart. Of course if your minted, you can pay a rake of money to be driven around the place and shoot the wilderness

If you could get your bike on ferry you could 'probably' ride (a light trail bike) over the pass NE of Inverie, but the path is faint out of the valley either side - but, if the keeper and others there didn't like it, you would have great difficulty getting back out I suspect :eek:

Personally I think it should be human power only (I'll overlook the shooting parties) as it is a very special place. Been many times and wouldn't see any benefit taking me m/c :confused:

You wouldn't get in via the walking route from Loch Hourn - well, not without very considerable difficulty. Thinking nothing of the risk of lyching by walkers :D

The other walking route in from SE I've not been on - but I suspect it's same?

I think there are better places to try ;)

I have walked in from the south east/Glen Dessary route.Even with permission,,,you wouldn't get a bike down to Sourlies bothy and on towards Knoydart itself.

Depends what your definition of wilderness is. There's a 4x4 school that uses some of the tracks in Knoydart. Of course if your minted, you can pay a rake of money to be driven around the place and shoot the wilderness

Just spent 5 days in there. Canoe from kinlochhourn to barrisdale bay then a base camp . Amazing weather and scenery. Climbed some hills , caught some fish and ate lots of mussels. Please leave your bike on the 'mainland' ! You can ride round to Corran on the north side of the loch from shiel bridge or even better off Skye on the little ferry. If you can get the bike to Inverie ( I hope not) you could ride to Barrisdale and maybe get shot as it is all part of the Barrisdale estate. From kinlochhourn your bike will end up in the loch as it is almost a handrail job in many places on the walk in from kinlochhourn.
Please leave it alone though. The only real wilderness area in Britain does not need motorbikes. Do it on a mountain bike, walk or canoe in. Leave the bike in mallaig.

Back
Top Bottom