Christmas - The Old Doctor Butler's Head, Moorgate - CANCELLED

Wapping

Reaction score
The Tai Pan is no more, so the hunt is on for a new venue.

I'm not adverse to a curry myself but realise that it's not everyone's nose bag.

What I have in mind is finding a pizza / spag joint, with seating for somewhere between 20 and thirty, sometime in the first or second week of December.

Location? Somewhere suitable, probably east, so that I can visit to ascertain the lie of the land.

All in favour, say Aye.

Richard

I'm in, but Pizza ?? C'mon, we can be more adventurous than that can't we .... :nenau

Umm, Thai would be nice; might even be a GBK in that there East London area; Gaucho Grill type place for a bloody delicious steak....:coold

Gaucho, or Hawksmoor for steak would get my vote, but they can be pricey

Yeah, but Nutty's minted .....

If I was going ino town for a proper pizza, it'd be princi in wardour street. About a tenner, plus beers, starters etc. they have big communal tables as well as a normal dining room. What about the one we went to in southwark once after bike show?

Anyway, back to the theme.

I have to find a place that can take perhaps 30 bods, who don't necessarily want to splash a fortune, all around Christmas time. I don't mind going to Hawksmoor * or anywhere else but as 30 fellows sitting down will take up a considerable stretch of their dinning area I can't imagine it's going to be:

(a) Cheap

(b) Easy

I suggested pizza / spag bog / Italian as most bods (they can be a fussy lot these UKGSer's) can find something on the menu of 103 items that they:

(a) Recognise

(b) Like

(c) Can remember as and when the unfortunate waiter comes to deliver their meal, 20 minutes after ordering

I also need to find a place that is reasonably well served by the tube or DLR (it doesn't bother me as nowhere is too far from central London) the main train stations and for all I know where some foolish chap can park his bike, without his clocks getting nicked. They only come bleating on here when it happens and it'll spoil Christmas, not least as BMW won't be able to get any in until well into the new year.

I had thought about the Gun pub in Spitalfields, which used to do top notch English grub at a decent price. It has closed and re-opened so often I am not sure what state it's in at the moment. I will go and find out what the score is.

Other things I had mulled over and not yet rejected are: A big fish and chip supper, a curry (feck those that don't like it, I do) one of the 'big burger' places, as recommended by http://www.hamburger-me.com and the private dinning room at la Caprice, who do the best lamb chops in town. Last but by no means least, we could venture up the Edgware Road and embrace the sights, smells and sounds of downtown Beirut, rendez-vous at BMW Park Lane to gawp in the windows. This has the added attraction of being able to abuse the Albanian vagrants, illegal immigrants, sponging, thieving gits or poor destitute desperate people (call them what you like) who set up camp near Marble Arch. It will quite get the evening off to an excellent start.

* I am going to their Guildhall restaurant for breakfast tomorrow.

We'll eat anywhere, so will go with the flow.:thumb

Let us know how Hawksmoor is tomorrow.:drool

I'll eat anywhere too .... as long as I can park my bike in the restaurant reception and have constant obs on it ..... :D

Upstairs in The Gun would be great. Top nosh in Tosser-sized portions plus a half-decent pint.

Back
Top Bottom