Any suggestions for Bosnia

The Grey One

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We are planning our end of season trip, going down to Dubrovnik this time, taking the D8 along the coast. We plan to come back to Austria via Bosnia, possible through Mostar. Anyone got experience of the roads? Suggestions for places to see along the route.? Any other advice? About the trip that is, otherwise I am beyond help!

John

Type 'Mostar' into GS and go to images. Do the same for 'Kravice'.

If you require a more sobering feel to end the hols then drop in to Sarajevo and take a look around you!

Can't help much but I did have a day trip to Mostar from Split, taking the inland road (D60?) there and the Croatian coast road back. The inland road was surprisingly good through Croatia but was very mixed in Bosnia and you pass through one or two industrial wastelands which don't lift the spirits. If you go off the beaten track, there are abandoned and burned out houses here and there with graffiti all indicating the break down of once peaceful communities into religious factions. Mostar and its fantastic rebuilt bridge (signposts to the bridge are everywhere) are definitely worth visiting if only to spend a little time reflecting on recent history. I had a coffee looking up at the hillside from where the Serb firepower had pinned down civilians what seems like five minutes ago. I was surprised at the number of tourists from all over the world. The road from Mostar to the coast runs alongside a pleasant river valley although the road surface wasn't great.

Parking (even for bikes) is a little tricky very close to the bridge. I ended up paying a few Euros to a guy who looked after my bike at his cousin's cafe (you know the sort of thing) but, then, I am a bit of a soft touch. I had a green card but you can buy insurance at the border. I didn't bother changing currency and it wasn't a problem: I used Euros. (I suspect the cafes near the bridge would take just about any currency). I came away really glad that I had made the effort to see the country and the bridge but (admittedly on the paltry evidence of a very short trip), I didn't find myself desperate to spend more time there. Bosnia has had an awful time and needs investment: I suspect it'll be a long road to EU membership but it just seems wrong to see a country so near to us with so little support.

The roads generally will be 2 lane only but on the Euroroutes well surfaced and maintained but with large trucks blocking often and much spirited overtaking by the locals so be careful. It is generally similar driving conditions to Serbia and Montenegro with lots of mountains and twists.
As E. Buygum said above if you have time both Mostar and Sarajevo are worth a look.
It is a very poor and small country with relatively few cars but the roads have been upgraded probably with EU money and with some great scenery makes a great motorbike destination.
Sarajevo has been named as one of the top 10 cities in the world but mostly because of its fascinating history and ethnic mix so maybe stop a night there.

Try to avoid the main routes, the smaller roads have less traffic and have awesome scenery. I've found the main roads which connects into croatia, serbia, and montenegro can be filled with trucks.....

Me and the mrs came through Bosnia in 09 we really liked it, Mostar was interesting we went on to Sarajevo for a few days then on to place called jalace I think that's the spelling , it was the cheapest country we visited along with Albania, the people are really nice the crime rate in Sarajevo is high but it's hardly surprising with 60% unemployment or it was then anyway, we never experienced any problems there is still a big un influence there, go I'm sure you will like it.

Bosnia i Herzegovina - wonderful place - excellent food and wine - good people

Mostar and Sarajevo are obvious destinations, the Nature Park at Hutovo Blato is nice (on your route from Dubrovnik via Trebnja) and there is a good hotel in the park - the frogs are noisy but also very tasty!
Sutjeska National Park is stunning and there are some lodges to stay high in the park - if you think of going there PM me and will put you directly in touch with the tourism person there - you should then be able to take your GS up to the lodge! Really cool to watch the wild boar at night.
From there head up through Serbia on your way home - you can visit Novi Sad and our bar!

Best wishes
Gavin

we crossed in too bosnia last year at metkovic border with no promblems
headed to mostar then had 3 night in Sarajevo at the hotel Michele which
is the only hotel with secure and gated underground parking
we headed out to kupres -jajce-kiseljak- mkronjic grad & Tuzla etc
with no problems any where

bos has had its past,the city is very friendly and about 80p a pint!

hope this helps

A couple of snaps :thumb2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 310
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 310
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 300
Thank you all for the replies, looks like we will have to save most of it for another trip. Because of the amount of work ahead of us in renovating the hotel we are cutting our holiday short this year. Still going down to Dubrovnik but now we only have 3 days to get back here. We will just ride up through Bosnia and see what we find along the route. Sadly there will not be much time to linger.

We have to be back by the 9th October as we plan to be knocking down walls from the 10th onwards

John

Warm & Sunny in Croatia today John, arrived yesterday, this is where we are and what we are doing now, bike free day today :)

Attachments

• P1040651.jpg
    P1040651.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 293

Back
Top Bottom