Base camp !!!! How frustrating.

blues n twos

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, I've just spent 4 hours plotting a 3/4 day route to Austria via the Ardennes, Geneva and Bormio :eek:

Compared to google maps it's a royal fucking pain in the arse. Jesus :blast

I know I'm no techno guru but fuck me what a complicated shitty bit of software to try and navigate around :eek:

Nothing is predictive or simple, I'm sure once you've spent 6 friggin years mastering it it will be fine but never again for me. :blast

Rant over..... :beerjug:

I'm in full agreement with you utter toss.

Any tips from the guru's out there? other than bin it!

Plot route on Google maps.............. Open 'Tyre' and import it............... Send to Garmin/TomTom..............Delete all traces of shitcamp from your PC................... Simples.

So I'm not the only one who finds it an antiquated piece of crap. I mean for fucks sake, it does not even predict addresses :eek:

It did not even recognise "the grey ones" Gasthof Hochalmspitze :blast. Not the address, gps coordinates or the hotel. Bloody frustrating piece of shite.

Ok I'm still ranting :mad:

Jon

At the rate Garmin operate I don't think I have enough years left to see Basecamp developed to where Mapsource left off

Can anyone explain why the map is displayed at that bazar angle FFS

It did not even recognise "the grey ones" Gasthof Hochalmspitze :blast. Not the address, gps coordinates or the hotel. Bloody frustrating piece of shite.

The search function could do with some work to make it a bit more intuitive admittedly but searching for just Hochalmspitze found John's place OK.

search-for-hochalmspitze.png

AJAX like searching/hinting after the first few key-strokes would be nice if done properly.

By all means carry on using the third party route planning software. I'll wager that those that have put the time in to learn how to use Basecamp effectively are still using it. The amount of time you need to invest isn't huge, a few hours should do it.

Having said I still use Google Maps and ITN Converter as part of my planning process but Basecamp is where the routes are finally 'distilled'.

So I'm not the only one who finds it an antiquated piece of crap. I mean for fucks sake, it does not even predict addresses :eek:

Ok I'm still ranting :mad:

Jon

Odd, as I found Malta (where i think he lives) in under a second.

Didn't bother to look for the hotel. Are you sure he has had it entered onto Garmin's database?

EDIT: Subsequently looked for the hotel.... It's there, number 1 on the list.... Found in five seconds, slowed only by turning BaseCamp on again. It also displayed in all 36 'Lodging' "all subcategories' within a 9.3 mile radius of Malta.

I'm no expert on base camp but used to be able to plot routes on map source ok.

I tried everything to locate Johns gaff and nothing found it :nenau commas in, commas out, caps on caps off, full address, gps coordinates the lot. In the end I looked on johns website at the exact location and zoomed in on the map and tracked it until it matched up then I stuck a waypoint in as a location.

It's now all plotted and it's on the Nav5 so should be a pleasant trip down via Geneva and the passo del stelvio :thumb

Can anyone explain why the map is displayed at that bazar angle FFS

You can angle the map anyway you like, FFS :D either that our you are looking for street bazars... A bizarre thing to look for but each to their own. :beerjug:

Are you using a laptop and a mousemat (or whatever they are called)? If so, you are probably pulling it askew. There is a compass down at the bottom of the screen, near the zoom controls.... spin it around to align the map anyway you like, through 360 degrees.

Hated it to start with, tried google routes as an interim and then was forced to use it to plan some routes round Switzerland.

After investing a bit if time, making a few cock ups and learning as I went along I can now honestly say I quite like it!

It did not even recognise "the grey ones" Gasthof Hochalmspitze :blast. Not the address, gps coordinates or the hotel

Found it using

N46 57.221 E13 30.481 taken off Johns website

Or search for " hochalmspitze" less info works better with Garmin.

My patience was wearing a bit thin I must admit. Like when you plot day one from point A to point B. Well day 2 is going to start at point B but the grief I had just trying to set that as a starting point for day 2 :blast

I know once you have got the hang of it it will pay dividends but for a novice user it's not very welcoming and gives your confidence a right kick in the gonads :eek:

Will have another play tomorrow doing some dummy routes.

I WILL NOT BE BEATEN!!!! :blast :D

Found it using

N46 57.221 E13 30.481 taken off Johns website

Or search for " hochalmspitze" less info works better with Garmin.

I will try less then as I was inputting address line by line and was constantly getting " no info found" :blast

I'm no expert on base camp but used to be able to plot routes on map source ok.

I tried everything to locate Johns gaff and nothing found it :nenau commas in, commas out, caps on caps off, full address, gps coordinates the lot. In the end I looked on johns website at the exact location and zoomed in on the map and tracked it until it matched up then I stuck a waypoint in as a location.

OK, just for the sake of it, try this.

I have a Mac...

Basecamp

Find button

Find points of Interest

Type in Malta

Loads of Malta (or Malta type suggestions will pop up) depending on quite where your map is centred. You can help it a bit by typing in Malta AUT, the three letter country code for Austria.

You should be now centred on Malta, in Austria, not the one in the Mediterranean.

Zoom the map in if you like. This will focus the search.

Select 'Lodging' from the drop-down menu and 'all catagories' in the sub-menu, just in case the hotel is mis-classed as a B&B or a campsite... you never know.

Bingo... up she pops.

It's in basecamp as wapping says, I used it to plot my route down to Johns last week. I've been using this a lot just lately, mainly for POI's but route planning is fine, with a direct export to my Nav 5 when it's connected https://www.motogoloco.com/map/

Back
Top Bottom