I've been well-vexed!

Greg Masters

'Don't mess with me' Member
Mod Squad
Reaction score
One of the challenges in arranging Tossers-on-Tour 2005 has been a requirement for dealing in multiple currencies. In fact, although the Tossers will only be outside the EU for about ½-a-day (when we ride across the bottom of Norway), I've had to deal in:

• Sterling
  • Swedish Krona
  • Estonian Kroon, and
  • Euros

In particular, it's been the Estonian Kroon that caused me trouble - that's the currency that I have to pay the bill for the Stockholm - Tallinn ferry in.

I troop off to Abbey National (when the Tossers' funds are vaulted) only to be told that they can't produce a Kroon draft.

So then I go to the Halifax where I have another account. No, they can't do Kroon either. They suggest that I go to a 'proper' bank.

I head off to Barclays (where I have no account at all, but it's close to the office). They don't deal in Kroon at all.

So I ring my own current account bank, The Royal Bank of Scotland who tell me they can do a Kroon draft and even quote a rate. However, they ask me to write in with my request. So I write to RBS, transfer some money into my account and sit back awaiting the draft. And wait, and wait, and wait.

On Thurday of last week, nearly 3 weeks since I wrote in, I get a telephone call. It starts off with the usual 20 questions and leads on to 'we can't produce a draft in Estonian Kroon'. Yer what???!!! I'm afraid that the girl on the end of the phone got both barrels!

Today it transpires that they can do a funds transfer if I send them the details of the shipping-line's bank account. I've now done that - let's see what happens now!

:spitfire

Greg

Greg Masters said:
So I ring my own current account bank, The Royal Bank of Scotland ......

Today it transpires that they can do a funds transfer if I send them the details of the shipping-line's bank account. I've now done that - let's see what happens now!

It's getting worse!

I've just had a call from Nat West's (!!!) International Banking Centre to say that they can't do a draft in Kroon.

No, no! I say, We've moved on from that - we're doing an electronic transfer.

Dunno anything about a transfer .... says the man.

:banghead:

Greg

TUNED IN said:
that's all well and good Greg but what does vexed mean?:)

vexed - definition from wn
vexed
adj 1: troubled persistently especially with petty annoyances; "harassed working mothers"; "a harried expression"; "her poor pestered father had to endure her constant interruptions"; "the vexed parents of an unruly teenager" [syn: annoyed, harassed, harried, pestered]
2: causing difficulty in finding an answer or solution; much disputed; "the vexed issue of priorities"; "we live in vexed and troubled times"

vexed - definition from moby-thesaurus
47 Moby Thesaurus words for "vexed":
aggravated, angry, annoyed, anxious, beset, bothered, browned-off, bugged, burnt-up, chafed, distressed, disturbed, dogged, embarrassed, exasperated, fretted, galled, griped, harassed, harried, haunted, hounded, huffy, inconvenienced, irked, irritated, miffed, nettled, peeved, persecuted, perturbed, piqued, plagued, provoked, put to it, put-out, puzzled, resentful, riled, roiled, ruffled, sore beset, tormented, troubled, worried, worried sick, worried stiff

Greg...can't you just pay with a credit card???

It works for goat baguettes in the Gambia, surely it must work for Kroon???
:confused:

iban transfer ?

Have you tried an iban transfer.Can the recipient accecpt it.
You will first need to get the recipient,s bank details
and then find a UK bank that will admit to being able to do it.

Re: iban transfer ?

the civil one said:
Have you tried an iban transfer?

Yes, I have the IBAN number - thet's what is now supposed to be happening - but I still haven't had the promised call confirming that it's been done!

:(

Greg

Re: Shag

fredkat41 said:
Greg,

If you offer your body, do we get discount. I am feeling a bit poor after buying a new BMW!!!!

Fred the very poor cat:(

Surcharge more like

iban

Yes, I have the IBAN number - thet's what is now supposed to be happening - but I still haven't had the promised call confirming that it's been done!

In my experiance of iban , they will only phone if there is a
problem. What terms did you use.
The mnost cost effective way of completeing an iban t/f is a
two day t/f. You will get a confirmation letter if you used this
method.You could also speed up confiramtion if you request
confirmation from your Bank , they will be able to phone up their
foreign tranaction dept and get confirmation over the phone
or send you immediate confirmation.
If the money has been taken out of your A/c , i would be happy enough to use this as a receipt.
I dont understand why the uk banks are draggin their collective
feet over the intro,of iban.
I have requested iban several times from UK residents , only for their banks to tell them they dont know what it is .
Could it be THE 52 C transaction CHARGE !.

Back
Top Bottom