Wander 'Black Forest and Vosges' October 5th to 12th 2014

Wapping

Reaction score
The timing of a project work has now been changed, so I have a bit of leave to use up.

I plan to catch an early train on Sunday 5th OR go over straight after 'quins play on Saturday afternoon; that will mean a late arrival in France but a better departure on Sunday morning. Then, down to near enough Verdun through Sunday.

Monday 6th from Verdun to the Black Forest. Not sure where, probably around Wolfach as that is central.

7th, 8th and 9th out and about in the region.

10th across from Wolfach to somewhere in the Vosges.

11th Vosges up through France to overnight somewhere (no idea yet)

Sunday 12th Somewhere to Calais and home.

I might add an extra day on, to return on the Monday 13th, perhaps?

What else:

Roads? It's a decent schlep, which can be done (largely) avoiding motorways but we would need to crack-on and / or keep an eye on the time.

Hotels? I will try to book 'private' hotels, in towns to give bods a choice of places to eat and a bar.

Weather? It's not a bad time of year but you never know. I expect it to be 'cool' early morning and into the evening, not least as the light is starting to go.

Suitable for? We may need to get a scoot-on and not dawdle too long over coffee. I am a big believer in the old adage that an hour in the morning becomes two in the afternoon. No day between overnight stops will be under 200 miles. Days at each destination, can be anything you like.

Routes? I will create Garmin .gpx routes for each day and bring several maps if bods want to do their own thing.

How many bikes? Six, including me. Many more and it slows stops.

I think that's it. I will check out some train times etc.

Richard

I stayed here on my way back from Switzerland:

http://www.leregal.fr/

One of the nicest hotels I stayed in during my two weeks away (the rooms are like brand new) and the food was so fantastic I had to go have a lie down after consuming the reasonably priced set menu :thumb2

It's also biker friendly and they will open up the garage to store your priceless steeds in if you ask them.

Enjoy the trip - I am most jealous

We did Bouillon, Vosges, Meiringen and then the Black Forest in July over 10 days. No accommodation booked and just found something when we were ready to stop. Never had a problem and there were 6 of us. The roads up through Vosges to La Schlucht (D61, D146 and D148) were absolutely fantastic.

In the BF we stayed at Hotel Oschen in Kehl-Kork. I can really recommend it. Secure place to store bikes and food was out of this world. Portions were huge too which suits the average Tosser. It's really near the B500 and other good roads (Wolfach, Bad Wildbad etc).

One tip - take plenty of mosquito repellant for the BF area as a guy that was with us had over 40 bites on his back - he was in agony.

Not thrilled with Bussang myself, just saying

And if you see a little silver MX5 with British plates while your down that way, don't touch it, ok :mad:

:thumb2

Sadly I can't make this trip as I'm giving evidence in a court case I am writing a report for.

I have stayed at the place on the Col du Bussang mentioned above.. It's run by a friendly Dutch couple. Good location as a touring base but it is in the middle of nowhere, with no alternative bars/restaurants within a comfortable walking distance. I found the food okay but it won't suit everyone in a group.

Kaysersberg is a nice place to stay in the Vosges and great for a group as there are several hotels, bars & eateries. There's a Logis used on the Joybringer Dolomites trip. Hotel Remparts, a 10 minute walk into town. A few weeks ago I stayed with a few mates at the Hotel Constantin which is in the middle of town on the cobbled streets. Don't bother with the breakfast at 9 euros, walk across the road to the Salon du Thé which has the most delicious croissant almande. This hotel has garage parking. The town has many dining options - Palme d'Or gets my vote on Rue Charles de Gaulle with their Baeckhoffe.

Hi Richard, Love to come on this trip if you have a space? - just me this time as Mrs Alleycam has to work.... : (

Al :)

I'll be there mid October either on the GS or in the Defender if the weathers crap............Thanks for the info when I went there last year, its a great place for an autumn tour just a shame there's not more daylight!

FP.

Not more daylight? I moan that through the summer each year, here in London. Roll on independence and CET for England! :D

Hi Richard.
Sadly I can't join you as the dates clash with some work commitments that I can't change.
Wishing you all the best and looking forward to reading the thread as it develops.
Next time :)
Regards Dave

October Wander

Hello
I am interested in coming along,are newbies to your wanders welcome?if so count me in.rgds Allan:thumby:

A surfeit of Al's it seems.

New Wanderers are welcome. Parkys100 added.

Three spaces gone, three to go.

We stopped at Bussang last week. Rooms very basic but food was pretty good, although set meal with no choice so as above May not be good for a group if you have any fussy eaters. Also has a drying room which we made use of after riding there in a biblical rainstorm.

As for the Black Forest, we stopped at Staufen I'm Breisgau, at this hotel http://www.fauststube-im-loewen.de/mobile/ which I would definitely recommend. Lovely little town with lots of restaurants in the main square and fantastic roads to explore.

Back
Top Bottom