R1200GS TE (LC) Brake Pads

I
All due respect, mate, but on what authority do you say Goldfren pads are - and I quote - 'poor quality'?

I've had Goldfren sintered pads, front and rear, in my '00 R1100S, '05 K1200S, '08 F800GS (two changes of pads), '09 R1200GSA (two changes of pads) and '10 R1200GSA.
I can tell you, if they didn't give at least equal performance to the OEM Brembo pads, I would have chucked them after the first set. I know what works on my bikes, and I'm not shy to call a spade a spade.
The only problem I've identified with the Goldfrens is that they produce more brake dust than the OEM pads - the wheels definitely look dirtier after a shorter time.

As the Brembo fronts in my '13 LC have worn, I've noticed that the 'wooden' feeling they give has steadily gotten worse. I would guess they use a harder-than-normal compound to give good wear rates.
I already have a complete set of Goldfrens waiting for when the Brembos finally give up the ghost.

Higher cost does not necessarily equal better performance, and companies like Brembo, EBC and SBS don't hesitate to play on the 'Better the Devil you know' mentality.
Don't believe the hype, mate.

I've used Goldfren on all my past bikes for the past few years never had an issue with them R1 Fireblade Harley and now Gs all good and good price too
Terry

All due respect, mate, but on what authority do you say Goldfren pads are - and I quote - 'poor quality'?

I've had Goldfren sintered pads, front and rear, in my '00 R1100S, '05 K1200S, '08 F800GS (two changes of pads), '09 R1200GSA (two changes of pads) and '10 R1200GSA.
I can tell you, if they didn't give at least equal performance to the OEM Brembo pads, I would have chucked them after the first set. I know what works on my bikes, and I'm not shy to call a spade a spade.
The only problem I've identified with the Goldfrens is that they produce more brake dust than the OEM pads - the wheels definitely look dirtier after a shorter time.

As the Brembo fronts in my '13 LC have worn, I've noticed that the 'wooden' feeling they give has steadily gotten worse. I would guess they use a harder-than-normal compound to give good wear rates.
I already have a complete set of Goldfrens waiting for when the Brembos finally give up the ghost.

Higher cost does not necessarily equal better performance, and companies like Brembo, EBC and SBS don't hesitate to play on the 'Better the Devil you know' mentality.
Don't believe the hype, mate.

You carry on then...... we"d all be fitting gold fren. I think they crap .

You still haven't said why you think they're crap.
Are you planning on substantiating that argument? :)

Yes,prefer to install tried and tested braking components rather than cheaper generic parts and chancing it. Brembo braking calipers come with brembo brake pads and nothing else. You have stated the goldfrens are inferior because they leave brake dust/residue on the front wheel. Dont kid yourself they are far cheaper for a good reasons.....

Not to be cruel, but I think you're manufacturing a case out of thin air.

Yes,prefer to install tried and tested braking components rather than cheaper generic parts and chancing it.

'Generic'? You've got to be kidding. Each different design of brake pad is specific to a certain design of brake caliper.
I don't think Goldfren would have survived in a market this cutthroat if they hadn't done an awful lot of their own R&D. I don't think other brake manufacturers would share their hard-fought or -stolen knowledge - not even if GF asked nicely.
'Chancing it'? I've been using set after set of their products, on different BMWs, for years. Every time, I get the same result: smooth, powerful, predictable braking action.
I can't really say the same for the current standard Brembo pads in my LC.

FYI, Goldfren also manufacture braking components for light aircraft. That means that in order for their stuff to be used legally in the USA, it requires FAA approval. And that's not easy to get.
Goldfren bike brake pads are sold in the USA, too, and it's the most litigious market in the world. I don't think they'd chance going down under the weight of American lawsuits by selling stuff that's likely to fail under normal circumstances or, worse, that doesn't comply with FMVSS regulations.

Brembo braking calipers come with brembo brake pads and nothing else.

Yes, and?...

You have stated the goldfrens are inferior because they leave brake dust/residue on the front wheel.

I didn't 'state' that Goldfrens are inferior. You did.
I said the Goldfrens produce more visible dust than the standard Brembo pads. As far as I'm concerned, it's a triviality. Softer compound pads which give more braking power frequently do produce more dust over a shorter period of time.
I see no reason why Goldfren pads should be regarded as 'inferior' for that.

Dont kid yourself they are far cheaper for a good reasons.....

Could it be that that reason is, they're produced in the Czech Republic? Probably with lower labour costs and a substantially lower mark-up?

You aren't by any chance a sales rep for Brembo, are you? ;)

There is a parallel to this in the car spares market. Some parts that are to be found on a Ferrari can also be found on a Fiat car. Now you can pay the earth for the Ferrari spares, or you can pay a hell of a lot less for the Fiat part. Same part, different packaging, way different cost !

Sometimes, just because something is cheaper does not make it inferior.

There is a parallel to this in the car spares market. Some parts that are to be found on a Ferrari can also be found on a Fiat car. Now you can pay the earth for the Ferrari spares, or you can pay a hell of a lot less for the Fiat part. Same part, different packaging, way different cost !

Exactly my point. A hell of a lot of so-called 'pirate' spares are in fact produced by OEM suppliers to the motor industry.
That doesn't stop motor manufacturers cranking up the Scare machine and proclaiming dire consequences for those who use 'pirate' parts, though. After all, everyone knows it's better to be a good boy and pay through your nose every 10 000 Km.

Luckily, not everyone is that gullible. ;)

Nick V, it"ll take a little more than that to be cruel. You carry on with your goldfrens sounds like your very happy with the savings, and it appears you've convinced yourself nicely.
If your happy,then good for you.
I'd say it sounds like your the sales rep.
Me ....i will carry on with the Brembos.
cheers.

Nah. It's just that I bring more to the table than a prejudice that falls over when someone breathes too heavily on it. ;)

Ta. :)
Ahh.. well i'm glad we have sorted that one out then.
Dont take it too seriously next time,its just one opinion against another. No need to get hot 'n' bothered. X

Very true. I just replaced the fuel filter in my VW TDi. The VW dealer quoted £32 for it and I got a Mann filter off Ebay for £8.20. When it arrived it was identical to the VW, with the same part number. The only difference was it didn't have the VW/Audi logo on it.

The fuel filters on the K75/100/1100's and R1100/1150's are made by Mahle and the Mahle branded part is about £7-8 less than the BMW branded part. Triumph also use the same filter in their 955 engine bikes but they charge twice as much for the filter than BMW do!

Not meant to be funny and not having a go...you change tyre makes / models though don't you?
A cheaper model of tyre x may be better than model y sold for 20 quid more.

Not meant to be funny and not having a go...you change tyre makes / models though don't you?
A cheaper model of tyre x may be better than model y sold for 20 quid more.

Yeh sure do. But there's certain parts that i like to stick to especially with a bike worth 15k and still in warranty. Genuine Oil filters,oil,airfilters and as ya know brembo brake pads in the front. Got ebc pads in the rear because those organic pads only last 2x weeks. I'd swap the front pads too if they were shit but they aint....top gear. as tyres go i run roadsmarts which out perform the oe tyres on the road and as it happens are a fair bit cheaper but i knew they would be good for the lc having had them on a prevoius gs. I dont put cheap on and see how it goes....whats the point.?

I brought a set of EBC rear pads for my 10,000 mile GSA 2014 because people on hear were saying how quickly they wear out, well I put them back in as they were only half worn.
I can't say I hardly use the rear brake either as it's linked, I got good mileage out of the 2013 rears too.

Terry

GS WC did 4200 miles on rear pads, (front as new),dealer replaced with I assume OE BMW pads, bike now done at least another 4000+ miles & they're as new, work that one out guys.. I'm assuming material change.. But they look like they'll do at least another 8k..

My rear pads were changed at 4500 miles,now at 16500 miles and the replacements (bmw) are less than half worn

Back
Top Bottom