Please read.

sounds like utter cobblers to me.

ok, i think the last insurance company to insure the bike may have some liability, but as for reclaiming it from the punter....

where's our experts on the subject when you need them?

As it always states on V5 your not the legal owner once it's sold,if the guy chose to ride when banned it's up to him the insurance company has nothing to do with other riders not listed as on a policy or the bike it'd be void ?
I cannot see how this could come about but then again we live in a world of stupid laws :blast

Iv often not canceled polices with short times left cos they want money from me to do so :banghead:

I agree, sounds like bollocks.

Guy has leukemia and is caring for his disabled wife - gilding the lily.

Not bollocks , if you sell your bike or car and do not cancel the insurance policy and if the new keeper is using it uninsured and has an accident ,there is still a policy in force for the vehicle but it is in your name and the claim will be made against it.

Insurance loophole but unfortunately M I B on behalf of the claimant will pursue the claim against your insurer, it really narks to have to pay an insurance company to cancel or remove a vehicle from a policy but it is one of those cases where they have you by the short and curlies

Not bollocks , if you sell your bike or car and do not cancel the insurance policy and if the new keeper is using it uninsured and has an accident ,there is still a policy in force for the vehicle but it is in your name and the claim will be made against it.

Insurance loophole but unfortunately M I B on behalf of the claimant will pursue the claim against your insurer, it really narks to have to pay an insurance company to cancel or remove a vehicle from a policy but it is one of those cases where they have you by the short and curlies
Your insurance covers your liabilities incurred as a result of your negligence or loss.

If you're sitting in your parlour watching X Factor, it hard to see how you could have been negligent if new owner chucks it up the road.

So what grounds will the insurer have to claim against the policy holder, which was rather the point of the original post?

And what difference does cancelling the policy make as the last insurer can still be liable anyway?

So what grounds will the insurer have to claim against the policy holder, which was rather the point of the original post?

And what difference does cancelling the policy make as the last insurer can still be liable anyway?

Article 2.1 of the EC 2nd Motor Insurance Directive which mandates a cascade of insurance liability throughout the European Community.

See more here - http://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike-blog/2013/10/i-sold-my-bike-but-didnt-cancel-my-insurance/

I think the only possible way out of it for this guy would be that the previous findings in the English Court of Appeal wouldn't be considered to set a precedent in the Scottish Courts.

Your insurance covers your liabilities incurred as a result of your negligence or loss.

If you're sitting in your parlour watching X Factor, it hard to see how you could have been negligent if new owner chucks it up the road.

There are two separate lines of debate going on in this and other similar threads:

1. Will / might the un-cancelled policy be called upon to settle a claim? Answer: Yes / maybe. Under 'Deep pocket', insurers have lots of money. If anyone is complaining that it might happen to them, you'll not be moaning should you be the injured party; trust me.

2. Will the insurer press for subsequent recovery against the policy holder? Very doubtful, though not impossible. Motor third party damage levels are limited by law to £20m, whilst third party liability has no upper limit, it really is unlimited. Perusing a hapless biker (or anyone else) who simply does not have the funds to pay is pointless. Either way, any recovery action would probably need some sort of court action, meaning a judge would have to see it as reasonable and fair.

No doubt there is more to these stories than meets the eye. We all know that biker mates on UKGSer will go to extraordinary lengths to avoid paying anything, regarding any charge on them as a 'rip-off' and an infringement of their often dreamed-up rights. We have seen examples of convoluted advice given on these pages as to how to avoid insurance, advice which might (if push came to shove) trigger exactly the scenario in point. The best advice? Do it properly and everything will be OK; do it badly and it might just be the most expensive £30 you have ever saved whilst 'sticking it up the man'.

Insurance companies try to get out of paying my dad has had problems in the past & my mate was on a bike got hit by a foreign uninsured driver,luckily he got the guy to pay up for damage :rolleyes:

I once ran into a guy who'd passed test two weeks before he pulled out in front of my van,admitted liability my company almost said it was all my fault ! luckily admiral his company sorted it all out,I still get calls/texts telling me I'm entitled to compensation :blast

Insurance companies and / or their brokers often have to deal with dimwits, too. It's all a struggle for both sides.

Back
Top Bottom