F800 GS Adventure Travel Edition - Luggage Options.

TomBoyNI

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm just looking a second opinion from someone who know more than me...

I purchased the above bike and it comes with pannier rails and mount at the rear for a top box.

I went to BMW to see what options they had for a top box. The result was I was informed you need a box, a mounting plate, some screws and a few other bits and the total will only be £440 :eek:

So the question is what the £&@? is the mount of the rear of the bike for? Is it just to basically tie you into BMW luggage or was the guy talking nonsense?

When I was buying the buying I was told it is luggage ready. Buy the stuff and it just pops on, so anyone know what the truth really is?

Unfortunately there is only one dealer here to get advice from.

It would be cheaper for me to take that mount off and buy a givi Trekker box and mount. I'd even have £110 change to use for petrol!

There are loads of options. Check Motorworks and other sites. I use a cheap top box 49 liter takes 2 helmets cost 19£ plus post. Side boxes are h and b bought cheap with frames which are welded on to ornigional frames might not look great but works. JJH

There are loads of options. Check Motorworks and other sites. I use a cheap top box 49 liter takes 2 helmets cost 19£ plus post. Side boxes are h and b bought cheap with frames which are welded on to ornigional frames might not look great but works. JJH

Yep cheers, seen a nice BMW box it was £200 so I had decided on it, but then all the mounting extras which I presumed where already fitted on the bike takes it to £440, why on Earth do they see the need for a plate to fit to the plate! Thats why I thought he was talking nonsense, I had sold a few old bits and bobs so was happy enough going for the £200 box but then doubling the price just seems nonsense.

Even the GIVI mount for my old box at £79 seems a much better option.

Spend the £79 or drill a few holes and just bolt it on. JJH

You're absolutely right.

I think my point is one more disappointment that you buy a bike that is meant to be ready to go, fully specc'd and yet they still want more out of you. Suppose that's how they get ya!

Luggage

Hi All
I can supply a topbox for the 800 adv with a mount plate for £200! The plate picks up the 4 mounts at the back no worries at all . I have the side boxes built but have to come up with the mounts as they are tricky . They will cost app. £450 the pair !

800 adv liggage

Hi all a couple of pics of ARDcase topbox on 800adv !

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 603
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 603
Hi mate the size of the box is 17" wide 12" high 12"long plenty big enough for a peaked helmet etc . I can make a bigger one for 2 helmets but they are huge and look ugly ! However the customer is always right !
Cheers

They are a credit to you. I'm happy with my plastic box but if I was looking for a metal one your box would be top of my list. JJH

I have just ordered an adventure t, the dealer has tried to tell me that it doesn't come with mounts for the luggage I have just paid £1033 for. They want an extra £434 for the supposedly fitting kit for panniers and top box.

Me thinks they are mistaken, the adventure t comes with the frame I just need to spend £83 on the top box fitting mount.

Have left it with them to investigate into.

There is a reason the BMW stuff is expensive... its good. It never leaks , you can use the same key ( which for me is a no-brainer) and some of the models are expandable.
The Givi Black -Line kit is nice too, but its as expensive as the BMW boxes.
Also when you come to sell your bike , decent top of the range kit will help you . Buying inferior add-ons will just make it (and you) look cheap.
Best of luck with whatever you go for. ( and personally I'd beware of wide panniers because they make "filtering" fraught)

Redcaps box (above) looks beautifully crafted and really tough by the way ! A proper solution !

I got a universal one that included a carrier plate on eBay for £12 brand new :) The carrier plate mounts on the posts on the bike with some spacers and the box has a screw wheel inside to secure it to the plate

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net...=df698e3ff498c131b7a89032440c0530&oe=54843623

It's a one helmet capacity which is fine for commuting and general use.

The same seller had two helmet size ones for about £20 so I ordered on of those too for future trips, it's in the garage waiting to be fitted when needed for "touring" duty.

Ok not as "sexy" as the metal boxes but jeepers all I wanted was something to put my waterproofs and sandwiches in :)

There is a reason the BMW stuff is expensive... its good. It never leaks , you can use the same key ( which for me is a no-brainer) and some of the models are expandable.
The Givi Black -Line kit is nice too, but its as expensive as the BMW boxes.
Also when you come to sell your bike , decent top of the range kit will help you . Buying inferior add-ons will just make it (and you) look cheap.
Best of luck with whatever you go for. ( and personally I'd beware of wide panniers because they make "filtering" fraught)

Redcaps box (above) looks beautifully crafted and really tough by the way ! A proper solution !

The vario's are an engineering masterpiece. Over-engineered to make a box, a bigger box, if only they could make them lighter !

Hi Redcap, I presume you are the ARDcase man ?
I've just bought a 2014 800 GSA. The pics you posted look great and I would like to ask if you could do the above top box deal for me please.
regards
Steve

Back
Top Bottom