G650GS vs Sertao vs ?? for short beginner riders

gsinvn

Reaction score
Hey guys, these will be our first bikes. My gf and I have spent the last few months backpacking around Southeast Asia and we rented mopeds a few times along the way and fell in love with the idea of doing a long distance motorcycle tour and we've decided to get our motorcycle licenses when we get back and eventually get something we can use to commute and do some country road and trail riding on the weekends, as well as at some point take through Latin America, Africa, and Asia. After some research I've essentially narrowed it down to the G650GS and Sertao, although I've been curious about the F650GS and F800GS, and am leaning towards the Sertao for myself, although At 5'6" with a 29" inseam I'm not sure that it isn't too tall for me. My gf is 5'2" and from what I read that almost certainly limits her to the G650GS. From what I've been able to read, the Sertao is more geared towards off road than the regular GS, while at the same time handling both street and off-road better. It seems that everyone absolutely loves their Dakars/Sertaos too, although I'm not too sure I'd be able to even tell the difference as a beginner.

What do you guys think? Am I too short for the sertao? Will I even notice what I'm missing as a beginner rider if I settle on a g650gs instead? Should we even be considering the more powerful models?

Only way is to throw your leg over all the models that interest you and your girl. If you know at some point you will be riding off road, a bike that is too tall will be a real handicap.

....we've decided to get our motorcycle licenses when we get back and eventually get something we can use to commute and do some country road and trail riding on the weekends, as well as at some point take through Latin America, Africa, and Asia.
First, get your licence. Then go on an off-road training course - if you attend a BMW course, they should have the 2 bikes you refer to and then you'll know whether they are the right bikes to use.
There is always a big debate on power vs weight - many riders prefer a smaller / lightweight bike over riding 600+cc. Others will be happy with the extra power and accept some roads may be inaccessible to them.

Join HorizonsUnlimited.com which is aimed at overland travelers (bikes, cars, bicycles).

With South America, Africa and Asia on your bucket list you might look at smaller bikes. Plenty of reports of extended travel on 250's. Smaller, lighter, lower fuel consumption and still enough performance to cruise at 60mph all day. Much cheaper for Carnet's etc. too. When you're in the slimy mud, picking up a 140Kg 250 plus luggage instead of a 200Kg 650 must be very attractive.

With South America, Africa and Asia on your bucket list you might look at smaller bikes. Plenty of reports of extended travel on 250's. Smaller, lighter, lower fuel consumption and still enough performance to cruise at 60mph all day. Much cheaper for Carnet's etc. too. When you're in the slimy mud, picking up a 140Kg 250 plus luggage instead of a 200Kg 650 must be very attractive.

Back
Top Bottom