R NineT test ride and thoughts…..

DrAlf

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On the way home from work on Friday I happened to call in at North Oxford BMW and noticed that they had an R Nine T demonstrator available. I had a quick discussion with Nathan, one of the sales guys who’s knowledge and enthusiasm for BMW motorcycles never ceases to amaze me – especially as he can’t be more than 25 years old. I noted with interest that Nathan spent his own hard earnt dosh an R NineT and rated the bike very highly. Anyway after a bit of general BMW banter I arranged to come back the following day with my biking kit for a quick test ride.

So first impressions; I’d sat on the R NineT at the NEC show last year and remember being disappointed at the size of the bike – it’s tiny and really only suited to someone around 5’9” or smaller and of small build. At 6’ tall and used to riding an 1150GS the bike felt a little cramped but it also felt very light and easy to move around. It almost felt like a 125cc – but with a bit more power:augie I had high hopes for the 9T having previously ridden a couple of HP2E’s which are similar in terms of concept – i.e. R1200, lightweight and telescopic rather than telelever front end. The 9T uses the later twincam engine which was a development of the HP2 Sport engine – HP2E’s and MM’s use a modified single cam engine.

My test ride was limited to 30 minutes and required Miss Alf to hang around waiting for me – so I reduced this further to an agreed 20 minutes:rolleyes: I had a route planned that included a mixture of dual carriage ways, fast A road and a few twisty bits. First off the bike felt very light and pretty fast. It was the first time that I had ridden the twin cam engine and I was impressed by the smooth power delivery – it seemed to have power available everywhere across the rev range. I also immediately noticed the lack of telelever front end and the seriously powerful front brakes. Even though I was prepared for uber powerful S1000RR derived brakes and a pogo front end it was still a bit of a shocker the first time I tested the brakes. In addition, the bike felt like it had an extremely short wheelbase – this could well be due to the fact that I am so used to riding a telelever equipped bike (i.e. fixed wheelbase) but regardless the R9T could certainly be chucked about and could change direction incredibly quickly.

Even on a short test ride the wind blast was almost unbearable at anything approaching interesting speeds on A roads – I could literally feel my neck aching after 10 minutes. Nothing that a small screen wouldn’t fix but worth noting. I’d imagine that the R9T would probably rip your head clean off if you tried to ride it whilst wearing an MX style lid:eek:

Overall I was impressed with the bike – it’s light and fast, handles well, sounds good even with a standard exhaust system and looks absolutely brilliant. I’ve been following the aftermarket R9T scene since the bike was launched and TBH I haven’t been overly impressed with results to date. I’m waiting for someone to provide a G/S Paris Dakar style kit – i.e. longer forks and shocks, custom G/S style tank and an orange single seat and rack combo – I’m sure someone will make one soon.

Am I going to buy on? I don’t know is the answer – the trouble with my old 1150 is that it’s just too good at everything and costs nothing. I should have bought an HP2 back in 2007 when prices were sensible. I’ll be keeping a close eye on the price of R9T’s.

Should you test ride one? Without doubt – it’s an incredibly involving experience and a very unique BMW bike. Just leave your MX lid at home.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 11,388
Love the look of them , but a 6 foot 6 probably not my bag . How was the gear changing / It all felt a bit cramped for me when I sat on one ? I guess some rear sets would make it roomier ? Thanks for posting :thumby:

Gotta say, that's a feckin great look you've got goin on, that's stylee:thumb

An antidote to the stylised leather blouson and designer Davida helmets.

:cool::cool::cool:

Love the look of them , but a 6 foot 6 probably not my bag . How was the gear changing / It all felt a bit cramped for me when I sat on one ? I guess some rear sets would make it roomier ? Thanks for posting :thumby:

The gear change was spot on - my reference point is an old 1150!

Gotta say, that's a feckin great look you've got goin on, that's stylee:thumb

An antidote to the stylised leather blouson and designer Davida helmets.

:cool::cool::cool:

Ahhhh thanks - it's only because I'm too mean to buy new biking kit:)

No hiding from the fact (arguably) it is one cracking looking machine!

Nice report Adam.:thumb Next time take the S1000R out!:green gri

That jacket's too big for you!:rob:p

DrAlf, I felt the same after sitting on one at the NEC show. Too small for me. I cancelled my order and ordered a GSA LC. Google R120r Unit garage for a conversion kit for a R1200GS to see a retro body kit.

Paul. Still love the R90t though!

Out for a ride on the HP2 this afternoon and popped into SBW - Stephen gave me the keys to his R Nine T...

It was only a quick ride maybe 10 miles including a couple on dual carriage way.

What a fun bike, no frills it spun up a little in 2nd as I left the showroom on to a damp Mundles one way, the HP2 did the same when I later left on that and both did it in a 'this is fun rather than a be carefull way'

Although small it did not feel cramped and it was very easy to pile on the MPH, serious MPH and as DrAlf says the brakes are very good.

You are in clean air but the wind blast it can expose you to because it's a quick little bike suprises you - I saw 120+ On a few occasions (not just on the dual carriage way) and although thoroughly enjoying it you are hanging on, but it all seemed like good fun at the time.

I really enjoyed it, it felt like a proper bike that you are connected to in a way that the Airhead and HP2 do, no frills it's just a good engine in a neat package and being a BMW it's got enough common sense about it to consider using it a lot and for many diffrent things and Id be happy to do some big mile days on it (I think)

I really like it....

sat on one last night at the New BMW launch with Charlie Boorman , felt great even at 6 Foot 5 Roomy etc just needed some rear sets to make it perfect ergonomically .funnily the bullet chrome felt better

Anyone know the spec difference between R9T and the last twin cam R1200R apart from forks?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Anyone know the spec difference between R9T and the last twin cam R1200R apart from forks?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Ones a very capable bike
Ones a very cool but not quite as capable bike
They have diffrent function:emotion ratios specific to the rider

Petrol is a bit cheaper since that photo was taken!:D

It's a different engine! Latest R has WC motor - much more umph!!

Must have just missed you on Saturday Wreford - I almost gave you call:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 821

Back
Top Bottom