Tank map holder for r1200 GS

Cdog

Reaction score
Got a r1200 GS 2005 model. wondered if anyone knows of a map holder for the GS that is not big and bulky. just a map and nothing else such as storage space. I know they do a magnetic one for most bikes but of course the GS tank is not metal…

any ideas?

thanks

HI I have just seen your post while browsing. I have used for many years the map holders that hikers use hanging around their neck. All I have done is removed the neck cord and then purchased some small bungees from a local push bike shop and then hooked the map holder to the front and rear of the tank. If I am using a tank bag I do the same thing except hook it to the tank bag.There is always somewhere to hook the small bungees even if it means making loops out of cable ties. I have used the same holder for years. It has never leaked or anything and always has a good viewing area.
Gordy

I'm with Gordyman.

Got a good quality hikers map pouch - 100% waterproof and much more visible than the map case on my tank bag. Looped the neck step round the headstock and used heavy duty sticky backed velcro tabs to hold in onto the tank (the stuff that clicks when it engages). Solid unto 100mph plus and easy to move to fill the tank.

Heath Robinson would be most proud.

Have a look at this.

I have an aversion to tank bags but needed something for my GSA on a long trip recently. I bought one of these (but I can't see why it wouldn't work just as well on a GS).

Pro's and Con's. On the plus side, it did exactly what it said on the tin. Great value for money and the straps mean't I could attach it around the headstock at the top and around the little bracket at the bottom of the tank, under the seat, where the service book is supposed to sit. It has two velco'd sections accessed at the bottom. The first lifts the whole pouch up so you can access the petrol cap to refill. The second into the actual map pocket which took a map and few other bits of paper and a pen. Soft underside so no damage to the paintwork (although I did add some helicopter tape just to cover this eventuality). The downside, which I didn't anticipate until I used it, was that because it was against the tank, it was quite low, and so I had to really take my eyes off the road to study it. Of course, it you have one perched on top of a tank bag it would be easier. I got mine from Get Geared but they've stopped stocking them. If you fancy the idea, you can borrow mine for the cost of the postage.:thumb2

Another vote for the hiking map carriers. Ortlieb, I found to be the best.

I used one for years, with no problem at all on assorted motorbikes, clocking up tens of thousands of miles. Eventually, my original carrier turned dark brown, I guess due to a mixture of UV and accumulated grime, so I bought a new one.

Easy to use and reversible.

A friend has made his own for his Triumph Explorer. He bought a second hand U-shaped piece that screws to the filler cap ring. This was made by the bods who make the tank bags, I forget the make. He also bought its female accompanying part.

He then hunted around for a suitable map carrier case, finding on that was good enough but was too flexible. To take the flex out he slid in a thin plastic sheet, rigid enough to support the carrier. He then carefully bolted the female accompanying part to the rigid plastic sheet, mimicking the way the sister part mates with a tank bag.

The whole then mounts, via the U-shaped pieces, to his tank. To all intents and purposes it looks (and works) as if he had bought the whole lot direct from a manufacturer. You would never guess that it was homemade. It has now done over 30,000 miles with no problems at all.

Back
Top Bottom