GSA insurance question

Rupert Jordan

Reaction score
Hello hive mind.

Has anyone got a new-ish GSA in London without a garage? I'm picking a new one up on Saturday (trading in my 2013 LC), but my current insurer - Aviva - won't cover it. Got any insurance company recommendations?

Hello hive mind.

Has anyone got a new-ish GSA in London without a garage? I'm picking a new one up on Saturday (trading in my 2013 LC), but my current insurer - Aviva - won't cover it. Got any insurance company recommendations?

Have you tried BMW Insurance - but not garaged in London sounds very expensive to me :eek

Tried BMW Insurance last year with my GS - they said no (without a garage). And yes, rather expensive. Clean license, 10 years No Claims, and it's still £800+. Ooof.

Will try RAC, thanks.

Go into any newsagent and pick up a copy of MCN.

Then sit down at your computer and / or with your telephone in hand and start contacting the many insurance brokers and insurance companies that advertise their wares.

It's YOUR bike, YOUR details and YOUR circumstances that are important, not mine, not the bloke's down the road or the bod who lives in Aberdeen who tells you that he managed to insure for £100 and still regard it as a rip-off.

It's a simple fact that the more effort YOU put in, the better for YOU your final result will be. That is true whether you are insuring an awesome new GS WC, your house or a chemical works in Idaho.

Why not try all the usual comparison sites, confused, compare the market etc. if you quote no garage all the quotes will be based on that. Will save a lot of time in the long run.

In addition to the usual Wapping Wisdom extolled above, I had a similar situation when swapping from an LC GS to GSA. In my case it was because of an arbitrary threshold on the value of the bike + accessories - below £15k OK but above £15K certain companies would not quote. You might try this yourself on the usual comparison sites and see if the same restrictions apply to you.

In addition to the usual Wapping Wisdom extolled above, I had a similar situation when swapping from an LC GS to GSA. In my case it was because of an arbitrary threshold on the value of the bike + accessories - below £15k OK but above £15K certain companies would not quote. You might try this yourself on the usual comparison sites and see if the same restrictions apply to you.

£15k threshold? ................. That's a valid point that hadn't crossed my mind :blast

im an IAM member and use there insurance Surety…cheaps as chips ! i have a Liverpool Postcode with full no claims , Garage...£160.00 per year fully comp

I'm in London with a garage and have a 14 plate gsa te with a factory alarm and have it insured by bmw for 760 with one years ncb.

I only have the bike insured and not any accessories as they won't insure it.

It's YOUR bike, YOUR details and YOUR circumstances that are important, not mine, not the bloke's down the road or the bod who lives in Aberdeen who tells you that he managed to insure for £100 and still regard it as a rip-off.

Bang on cue, Dave who lives in Liverpool (whilst you live in London) who has a garage (you don't) pops up to tell you that he insures for peanuts... And that he's a member of the IAM *

im an IAM member and use there insurance Surety…cheaps as chips ! i have a Liverpool Postcode with full no claims , Garage...£160.00 per year fully comp

* He probably tells that to everyone and anyone that will listen.

OY! Nutty, move this drivel to the Insnorance section or the pub. It has as much to do with 1200 WC's as the Pope has to do with Highland dancing.

Managed to sort it with eBike via the Meerkat people.

Aviva said they wouldn't cover a bike over £15k without a garage.

Ebike for my GSA in W4. Also BMW insurance.

Aviva are funny about London. For house insurance they load the premium as they see it as a flood plain.

Oh well. Their loss b

I'm in London with a garage and have a 14 plate gsa te with a factory alarm and have it insured by bmw for 760 with one years ncb.

Apologies to the OP, not wishing to hijack this thread, but motor_mad_man, if you have insurance via BMW then there should be unlimited cover for BMW OEM accessories. At least there is on my policy, which is also with BMW. It is not stated on the policy itself as its a generic form, but the underwriters will confirm it if asked. I did double check.

* He probably tells that to everyone and anyone that will listen

Yep any one who asks me …I'm a NAtional Listed IMI observer who holds a F1rst pass and Masters riding certificate , would you like to see them ?

Apologies to the OP, not wishing to hijack this thread, but motor_mad_man, if you have insurance via BMW then there should be unlimited cover for BMW OEM accessories. At least there is on my policy, which is also with BMW. It is not stated on the policy itself as its a generic form, but the underwriters will confirm it if asked. I did double check.
Hi martin, l did check when l took the policy out and they wouldnt cover any of the 3k of genuine accessories l got with the bike, ally panniers an top box, Akro, enduro bash plate, tinted screen an winglets, nav 5.

Hi martin, l did check when l took the policy out and they wouldnt cover any of the 3k of genuine accessories l got with the bike, ally panniers an top box, Akro, enduro bash plate, tinted screen an winglets, nav 5.

We should talk perhaps via PM perhaps? I was told that it was standard with all BMW policies. So either I'm being lied to, or you are. Either way, it should be looked at.

Before we do, can I just confirm your insurer is BMW/Devitt underwritten by Equity Red Star?

Apologies to OP but this is sort of relevant to anyone insured by BMW branded insurance.

Back
Top Bottom