Getting internet access in France when you have no broadband

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place so MODs feel free to move if necessary.

I will be heading to France for a break in my cousin's place in October, she tells me there is no phone and therefore no broadband access. So what will be the best way of getting some internet access on my laptop? A mate has suggested buying a dongle locally, are there any other options I should consider?

How does the dongle thing work? Will it be like a pay as you go SIM in a mobile phone and what sort of places will sell them?

I think most UK dongles (or the providers) can now be bought with a data plan which is useable in continental Europe.

Three does, and I think Vodaphone.

Al

Is there a mobile signal?.. if so you might be able to 'tether' your laptop via your phone.

Stand by to be arse-reamed by your air-time supplier.

Unless you are 100% sure of what you will be charged, consider the free Wifi at the local McDonalds or use an internet cafe.

My Vodaphone acount allows me to 'export' my UK package to Europe for a couple of pounds a day.

This only works of course if where you are sitting in rural France has a mobile signal of any quality. At my parens' place I had to walk to the end of their drive.

I assume that, providing your phone is not locked to one provider, you could by a French SIM card and use that.

Alternatively, do without the 21st century for a week.

Stand by to be arse-reamed by your air-time supplier.

Unless you are 100% sure of what you will be charged, consider the free Wifi at the local McDonalds or use an internet cafe.

+1 for French McDonalds: good coffee and free fast wifi. It worked here today to check a couple of things.

Three's Feel at Home plan means you can use minutes/data plans whilst in some overseas countries, which includes France.
http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

I have an unlocked HTC phone which could be used as a wifi hotspot on their plan.

Alternatively, just go to McDonalds or other chain for free wifi.

Of course, if her place is in a deep gorge in the Tarn region then you won't get a phone signal and the nearest McD will be miles away.

Have used Vodafone Eurotraveller plan for the last few years. A couple of quid a day for home tarrif abroad. Kicks in automatically as soon as you start roaming and using data. Means you just carry on as usual and don't have to worry about it. Does add up over a two week trip but, IMHO, worth it for the sheer convenience.

I'm currently on o2 Pay Monthly and have their Travel bolt-on. This gives me, to quote o2....

You'll only be charged £1.99 for the days that you use data in Europe.

There's no upper usage limit, but traffic management steps apply.
Your daily data charge will apply from midnight to midnight UK time

Details here... https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-in-europe

I tether my laptop to my iphone. It works OK even in a pretty rural area of France. I haven't used it lately as we have, at long last, had an internet connection installed at the house.

If you buy a sim in France you'll need proof of identity and address.
3G is very restricted in rural reas compared with the uk. We barely have phone signal, let alone 3 G.

Sfr wifi fon. Check it out for hotspots.

When she says 'no phone' does she mean a landline or no mobile signal?
Those dongles work well but you will need a mobile signal & they're not great if it's a bit weak.
Don't use it to Skype or watch video as that will eat up the allowance really fast too :)

Depends where it is, does it have other houses near by? In our hamlet when our neighbours come over for their holidays they use our connection no problem, also nearly all the cafes have WiFi these days or at least in those around here which you can use. Failing that a dongle is a good option but only if you can get a signal. Like most say 3 is the UK carrier giving the cheapest service but they are all catching up quickly.

Back
Top Bottom