Finally died ????

RILLOM

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looks like my faithful Zumo 550 has finally died !!??

When 'Switching On', it shuts down (switches off) when part way thru' loading the maps. Have tried the following (with or without the added SD card), but to no avail:

• reset via buttons;
    reset by battery removal;
    placed into 'Mass Storage' mode - ie connnect to PC (both with Basecamp or Garmin account) - in this case the unit just hangs & shuts down when disconnected;
Anybody in the 'collective' recognise the symtoms or have any suggestions, please (apart from which orifice to attempt insertion)? :confused:

Darrel

Is it possible that your battery is goosed?

Find someone with a similar unit and try the battery?

Al

Well it isn't the battery, but it does appear to be an intermittent fault - any suggestions, please.

Can you give a clue as to how you know it wasn't the battery?

How did you prove that?

Al

Hi Al,

Swapped batteries with a another unit - my unit still wouldn't power up & stay on - also the other unit worked perfectly with my battery. It appears to have an intermittent fault 'cause later that same evening it booted up OK ??!! Same thing has happened before - can't figure out why though.

Send it back to Garmin, for £110 they'll send you a new or reconditioned unit. If you're lucky you'll even get the latest maps for free.

It would be good to ...... but I believe they have now stopped supporting the 550 & the 'repair' (replacement) is no longer available.

If you call Garmin, they'll tell you they stopped supporting this unit in June and you're sh1t out of luck. This happened to me 2 months ago. I persisted, for several hours, spoke to supervisors and was, eventually after two days and a lot of phone calls, offered a 660 for £120 but you'll have to be persistent if you want that.

It would be good to ...... but I believe they have now stopped supporting the 550 & the 'repair' (replacement) is no longer available.
Blimey, I was lucky then - got my last of 3 (2 free and one paid) replacements in June. Last one they didn't even collect the old unit so now I've got a spare.

Probably not the cause but worth checking; My old StreetPilot 2720 started to play silly buggers with the screen going into spasms of activity without me touching it, this occurred once on one ride and then on the next ride kept happening every few miles to the point where I switched it off. Eventually tracked the issue down to road grime/grit trapped between the bezel gasket and the touch screen. A strip down and full clean of the hidden parts of the screen, the gasket and bezel restored it to full working condition.

Worth checking the power button on yours as well as the rubber cover can split/fall apart and let liquid and road grime in.

BILLSKI, thanks for the contact - a useful one to have. Darrel

I've had the same problem with my ancient Zumo 550, got to loading maps then switched it's self off when in the charging cradle. When using the mains charger it would just hang up on the "Loading maps" screen. But when connected to the Pc and managed to cancel the downloading of the GPX files I was able to check the contents of the Zumo as normal. Well actually Windows 7 suggested that there was an error on the Garmin "z" drive and would I like it to be scanned and fixed, which I agreed too. The result errors found and fixed by Windows 7, and a fully working Zumo 550 Sat Nav again.
All credit due to Microsoft on this occasion. :thumb

Regards Sparky

Did a hard re set by ...

1. Firing up the unit and then removing the battery before it closed itself down.
2. Replacing the battery and firing it up, then touching the bottom right corner of the screen. (Vid on YouTube - Google Zumo hard re-set.

Unit is now returned to ex factory settings, I assume: all routes, favourites etc deleted. We'll see if it now works in the cradle.