'fullly service and ready to go' he said... new R100GS owner

Clareman176

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am new here, new to BMWs and new to motorbikes...

I bought a 1991 R100GS last month and have been driving it every weekend since. I did the ring of Kerry yesterday and before doing so decided to give it a full service. The previous owner stated that it was "fully serviced and ready to go"... he had owned the bike since 1998 and the story was he had ridden it very little other than 1 euro trip and the odd Sunday spin.

See below what came out of the oil filter case...

20140922_182855.jpg

A 1996 oil filter in surprisingly good order. I rang him and he said he did not know the bike had an oil filter!! Some people!

I proceeded to complete the ring and the bike performed flawlessly (500km) other than being a bit on the thirsty side...

The bike will need some tidying up over the winter as it has not been maintained with care. Would someone who is familiar with these be willing to have a look over the bike and give me some indication of where I should start? I am located in Killaloe Co Clare, close to Limerick and North Tipperary.

I can tell from just looking at it that the front forks need a complete overhaul, the rear main seal needs replacing, and I imagine the carbs need new seals and gaskets and possibly needle jets although it does start, idle and drive well.

file:///C:/Users/BK/Pictures/Samsung%20Note%20to%20Sep%2014/20140815_204038.jpg

Cheers
Bryan

you'll have to host them on photobucket or similar

cant link files from pc to here although you can attach them to posts but ya need to be a member

15 year old oil and filter tho eek

right hand side of yer page there - click the image one and away :D

noice pic

A couple of thoughts

That may have been in the box on a shelf of a parts distributor for quite some time and only taken out as the numbers diminished

This can happen frequently with things like KL145 fuel filters for Many BMW models Lets face it It is a 24,000 mile filter and not many folk rattle off that many miles and then buy another service kit with a new one and then they fit the newer one!

That one is a Genuine BMW one by the way

AS long as the oil came out without bits of metal and the filter wasn't sucked flat I wouldn't worry

20140922_182855_zps6c35fa01.jpg

Thanks for the input boys,

Not in the least bit worried here, more bemused that a guy with such intelligence would have a bike for 18 years and not replace the paper oil filter...

Filter in great condition considering the age of it...

It struck me as a machine that was sitting up in a garage without use for a long time, the front tire is quite perished ...

The engine oil was fine,
The gearbox oil was in very good order but the drain plug had grit,
The final drive oil was a gritty and grey, the drain plug had grit,
The fork oil was not good, but they are pissing out oil so i wouldn't mind that... I put in some 15w to try and harden them up without much joy

Looks nice and sounds like a good buy! How much "grit" on the drainplugs? Gritty and grey sounds like water got in. I would change the oil a few times until it was draining clean, then you know where you are for future.

Thanks all for the welcome.

When I say grit... 'filings' would probably be more accurate, not out of the ordinary (time will tell) and no sign of chunks!

Can I ask for your input.... Am I wasting my time replacing components on the fork if the stanchion has rust spots on it? (Albeit small)

I was going to replace the fork seal, dust seal, dismantle clean and refresh the oil first to see if that improves matters... but will the stanchion bust the seals and undo my good work? If new seals doesn't firm things up I assume i'll need springs & bushes

Rechroming from Motorworks 72gbp per side (+postage each way), yikes..., new from german ebay 155eur to the door each, :eek:

Current symptoms being - Fork oil leaking out by the dust seal, very poor resistance on the forks with a lot of fork dive under breaking...

Bryan I like the Motorworks option simply because the depth of their chroming is significantly thicker meaning if you are keeping the bike You should only be doing it once

Next you need progressive springs and to clean the damper valves well whilst changing the stanchions over

You could also fit Gold emulators ( I think thats what you call them) I've heard good reports on them

With an Airhead I wouldn't use 15W its too dense and you'll end up with the front skipping rather than riding the bumps

Hi Bryan,
I'm located down the road from you in Castleconnell and have an airhead or 2:)rolleyes:)
I also know a few others who are similiarily afflicted in our neck of the woods.
PM me for my contact details.
Cheers
Fran(k)

Its cats and dogs outside so I uploaded some more pics of where the old GS has gone recently...

This is my favourite because its 3 miles up the road

Fran - I have tried IMing you a couple of times but I cannot see where or how! Im on 085 8634208 if you wanna give me a text I can call you back.

The bike is going great, I've done the following since I bought it...

New Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Plugs, Gearbox Oil, Final Drive Oil, Valves adjusted

Exhaust gasket installed between collector and back box, (stopped the pop on deceleration)

Removed the 'pollution' pipework from the airbox to the exhaust port

Handlebar risers 30mm, no more twinge in the lower back.

Progressive Fork Springs (Wirth, had to cut 300mm off the stock spacers) big improvement in braking and handling

Fork seals and 10w fork oil - Waste of time, forks still leaking.. any thoughts here? Will find it difficult to get up the motivation for removing that pain in the hole retaining clip anytime soon. I decided to delay getting the stanchions re-chromed until next year, I eliminated most of the pitting with sandpaper and do not think this is causing my leak (on both sides))

New speedo from an Indian crowd on ebay. Fits great but does not display speed accurately. Where is the best place to send my stock speedo to get it repaired? The needle bounces around while driving - It has been dismantled before by the looks of it.

Indicator Relay second-hand from Germany got the indicators going again.

Offroad tyres in the post (Mitas E09 rear, TKC80 front)!

To do list - Rear main seal, Carb jets and needles as fuel economy is poor, Moorespeed pistons for a bit more poke?!

Fran - I have tried IMing you a couple of times but I cannot see where or how! Im on 085 8634208 if you wanna give me a text I can call you back.

You won't be able to contact anyone via PM until you're a subscriber.......which will cost you 12 quid (an enormous 3p a day!) and can be done by clicking HERE

Hopefully, you'll already have seen that you'll reap far more than that in value back from here :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom