K1200RS hellish fuel consumption

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a pal here riding a K1200RS ('04) which last time we were out seemed to use a tankful of petrol when normally a half tank would do. no external leaks, and no real bad smell of rich running as far as I could tell. The consumption seemed actual, not just the level gauge.

Any clues where to start looking for the problem?

Bin

You could try disconnecting the Lamda Probe

To see if its screwed up?

K1200RS usually run VERY lean

Is the tail pipe White or Black?.... again usually light biscuit(tan) to white

Hi,

I have a pal here riding a K1200RS ('04) which last time we were out seemed to use a tankful of petrol when normally a half tank would do. no external leaks, and no real bad smell of rich running as far as I could tell. The consumption seemed actual, not just the level gauge.

Any clues where to start looking for the problem?

Bin

A similar problem on my K11 was due to a faulty temp. sensor. The one on left-hand side, in the head or block, not at the waterpump, AFAIR

Yup I've been tinkering and suddenly thought about the Temp sensor too

But you need a GS 911 or diagnostics to do a read of the live data

I don;t think the K1200 has the sensor in the manifold any more I think they have either one or two coolants sensors plus an oil pressure switch down at the water pump

But someone with more recent knowledge would be better to confirm

When my 2004 K1200rs mpg deteriorated there was a hole in the exhaust and I also changed the lambda sensor following advise from the forum
Keith

When a cylinder misfires the unused oxygen makes the O2 sensor signal the engine is running weak so the mixture gets richened (enriched?) aggravating the fuel consumption issue.

Ahhhhh Coolant temp sensor Lucky you asked me for pics Laurence! That's it there on the rear of the cylinder head Gearshift side

DSC05628.jpg

I don't think the Lamda goes into the big Leccy box but is just outside it on teh right side but I am sure you have to take the tank off to get at it. Simplest way is to get the right side bodywork off and follow the cable just in case its not too far in :aidan

DSC06716.jpg

Original pics were in reference to this LINKY

Here's a couple of pics of LT's that I had the Deep joy to work on

You are some boyo! I will have a look into the matter as we say...Thanks !!

well!

I stuck the gs911 on the k1200RS, and could see the Oxygen sensor going from 140mv to 900mv and in between, switching quickly, maybe 2 / sec. I think this tells me the sensor is ok.
The engine temperature sensor was reading 100C, with the bike idling. Fan running etc. all seemed to be in order.

The bike owner is not very analytical so getting clear consumption figures not the easiest. I want him to get the air filter renewed before going further.

Thanks,

Bin

Laurence Did you ever get a result on this one ??

P.S. I think the Lamda values are 200mv ~600mv but the dealership was a looooong way back now
well!

I stuck the gs911 on the k1200RS, and could see the Oxygen sensor going from 140mv to 900mv and in between, switching quickly, maybe 2 / sec. I think this tells me the sensor is ok.
The engine temperature sensor was reading 100C, with the bike idling. Fan running etc. all seemed to be in order.

The bike owner is not very analytical so getting clear consumption figures not the easiest. I want him to get the air filter renewed before going further.

Thanks,

Bin

A working Lambda with a misfiring coil will give poor consumption. Check all sparks are firing as they should.

Back
Top Bottom