Motor-rail Czech to Slovakia

gspod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For any one interested:-

This summer we took the overnight train from Prague to Tatrad, which is at the eastern edge of the Tatras, a distance of around 230-250 miles.
We booked on the internet a week before and it was £98 for 2 bikes and 2 people in a double bunk cabin.
You load your bikes onto a motor carrier much like the car transporters you see on the road - be aware though you are responsible for your own tying down and must bring your own straps.
All in all we had a great experience, it was something different and a bit of an adventure. It made me want to look into motor-rail from Netherlands to eastern Europe (I think there's one to Slovenia) obviously it will be a lot more expensive to travel through Western Europe but as a quick way to the Cheaper East and Balkans it may be the way to go.

I'll post a bit more info if anyone is interested or PM me.

Happy holidays
:aidan

250 miles? are the roads that bad that 250 miles is better on a train rather than 4 hours on a bike?

So predicable from the Tossers - it was only a matter of time :D

can highly recommend this but beware of the cabin space we booked to share in a 6 berth because it was the cheapest option when we got there our 4 other unknown travellers had cancelled at the last minute so we had a 6 berth to share fantastic spread out legs on the opposite seat etc if there had been 6 it would have been squashed ok if you know your fellow travellers maybe personally i would go for max of 4 in the cabin it more expensive but got to more comfortable.

can highly recommend this but beware of the cabin space we booked to share in a 6 berth because it was the cheapest option when we got there our 4 other unknown travellers had cancelled at the last minute so we had a 6 berth to share fantastic spread out legs on the opposite seat etc if there had been 6 it would have been squashed ok if you know your fellow travellers maybe personally i would go for max of 4 in the cabin it more expensive but got to more comfortable.

That's valuable info, many thanks.

:thumby:

250 miles? are the roads that bad that 250 miles is better on a train rather than 4 hours on a bike?

If the roads are bad you wont do 250 miles in 4 hours, even on good non motorway roads that is optimistic to say the least. Actually 4 hours for 250 miles is motorway riding if you allow for stops.

John

I travelled from Den Bosh to Koper on the last slaaptrein (sleep train) this season (29th August) then travelled down through Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and I'm now currently in Greece and just short of the most Southernly point in Europe, though will be there next week, before I begin my journey back to the UK.
I found the train to be a good experience, there were probably more bikes than cars on the train and would use it again.

I travelled from Den Bosh to Koper on the last slaaptrein (sleep train) this season (29th August) then travelled down through Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and I'm now currently in Greece and just short of the most Southernly point in Europe, though will be there next week, before I begin my journey back to the UK.
I found the train to be a good experience, there were probably more bikes than cars on the train and would use it again.

The sort of trip you could do on a 2 week holiday with a return train journey. We really enjoyed the Balkans this year and want to explore more of Greece.

Enjoy your holiday GADGET. :beerjug:

PS if you're coming back through Bulgaria head for www.motosapiens.org/moto/?q=en/node/17 a brilliant motorcycle campsite with rooms.

The sort of trip you could do on a 2 week holiday with a return train journey. We really enjoyed the Balkans this year and want to explore more of Greece.

Enjoy your holiday GADGET. :beerjug:

PS if you're coming back through Bulgaria head for www.motosapiens.org/moto/?q=en/node/17 a brilliant motorcycle campsite with rooms.

Thanks for the heads up on the campsite, am currently undecided whether to go that way, or the ferry from Patras to Trieste (or Venice) another task to factor in is that I've just had 3 very uncomfortable days with a tooth infection, and finally resorted to a Greek dentist this morning to drill it out, had just over an hour in the chair, good job she had nobody else booked in. Unfortunately it cannot be filled again for another week. A current plan is to stop off in Hungary, which is apparently a great place to get dental work done, according to the internet anyway.

Great thread, this is why i joined this forum, thanks. Beginning to plan a trip to eastern Europe for early next year.

Thanks for the heads up on the campsite, am currently undecided whether to go that way, or the ferry from Patras to Trieste (or Venice) another task to factor in is that I've just had 3 very uncomfortable days with a tooth infection, and finally resorted to a Greek dentist this morning to drill it out, had just over an hour in the chair, good job she had nobody else booked in. Unfortunately it cannot be filled again for another week. A current plan is to stop off in Hungary, which is apparently a great place to get dental work done, according to the internet anyway.

We ended up getting the Ferry from Durres to Ancona, due to a health problem, not a bad crossing but it was running very late and we had to wait on the dock for 5 hours then it was a 10 hour crossing instead of 8!!!

If you go to Hungary for Dental treatment it may be worth calling into www.magyarroute66.hu/ another motorcycle campsite with rooms. It's an excellent place run by a really nice Dutch guy who has lived in Hungary for years and is very helpful - Not to be confused with the bikercamp in Budapest.
Hope you get your teeth sorted.

We ended up getting the Ferry from Durres to Ancona, due to a health problem, not a bad crossing but it was running very late and we had to wait on the dock for 5 hours then it was a 10 hour crossing instead of 8!!!

If you go to Hungary for Dental treatment it may be worth calling into www.magyarroute66.hu/ another motorcycle campsite with rooms. It's an excellent place run by a really nice Dutch guy who has lived in Hungary for years and is very helpful - Not to be confused with the bikercamp in Budapest.
Hope you get your teeth sorted.

Looks like a nice set up & location, have saved it, thanks

Looks like the Autoslaaptrein is closed as of today. Shame, that's nearly all of the car/bike trains gone now, or at least severly cut back

Back
Top Bottom