Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How can you tell if your suspension is shot?

Good suspension is worth a big handful of BHP. You can have the craziest performance motor between two wheels, but if you can't put the power down because the bike is still unsettled .... then it's no good to you.

In real world terms (so getting away from the macho talk of 'getting the power down' .. ) picture yourself on a bumpy back road and you're just tipping your bike into a corner that has a rippled / repaired / deteriorated/ cambered surface. You want to get on the gas as early as you can, just by a hairs width, and gently squeeze on the gas and pick up the drive through the corner. The time that you can't do that, is when yer bike is still trying to deal with the road surface. It doesn't want power now if it's still hopping and bumping and wallowing.

But if you've got good quality suspension, you will float over all that crap, and you'll be able to pick up the gas like you want to mid turn, and drive the bike through the corner and out.

If you like a good old back b road hoon, yes fancy exhausts and all that malarky (I have one too ..!!) but great suspension will always win the day ...

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by UturnTony View Post
    Why mock? what goes for one doesn't always go for another

I have ESA on my 2011 GS. and can tell the difference between all 3 modes not only me but, so can the Mrs.
    on the back! That's no bullshit either. She can pretty much tell me what mode the suspension is in.
    i have been riding for 52 years and have had all sorts of bikes with varying suspension set ups and without a doubt
    my riding enjoyment is enhanced by having a reasonably well set up suspension which means the bike is set up
    to suit the current riding mode.
    Not mocking at all. Just saying that perhaps, in spite of many years riding, I can't tell the difference.

Or perhaps I'm mocking me

Quote Originally Posted by bristolsaint View Post
    Not mocking at all. Just saying that perhaps, in spite of many years riding, I can't tell the difference.

Or perhaps I'm mocking me
    You mis-understood me. I wasn't suggesting you were mocking i was saying why would anyone mock you, referring to the line;

"I'm sure there are purists who would mock this attitude, but it works for me"

I am going to get 1150 Adv no2 sorted for the rest of the summer and get the Adv no1 suspension serviced and see if it really does make that much difference. It can't hurt anyway. I am not going to spend £1000 on new shocks, which would then represent about 30% of the value of the bike.

At that kind of mileage any suspension will have deteriorated and the rider will have adjusted their riding style to
    compensate and ride around any deficencies
    Pointless riding newer different models as there is no comparison ,better to have a go on an Ohlins or similarly equipped 1150 and let its owner try your bike
    I thought my old r1150gs was fine at 39,000 but as Ihad a big two up trip due I got ABE to service both shocks and fit a new set of Hyperpro springs. The bike was transformed.
    As for nay sayers who say good suspension is not worth the money my new in 2011 non esa r1200gsa had relatively poor suspension so I had a pair of Maxton shocks made up, couple of people who rode the bike including main dealer mechanics commented on how good the suspension was.As an aside Maxton or other speciaists will tell you they recommend shocks are sefviced every 4 years or so
    Only problem is that it shows up how poor the esa suspenion is on my 2014 gsa wc

I burrowed through all the info here after having got a 04 R1150GS with 38k miles recently. Having come from road bikes (SV650 and R850R), felt the GS suspension was too soft and especially the front forks dipping in and out about 6 inches made me think my shocks were shot. To prod me along this line of thought, the drain hole from the fuel tank was blocked with lots of reddish mud. Put two and two together, was convinced bike has seen rough life and as per views/comments both shocks must be crying for support. So got them out and sent them to ABE last week.

Had a call earlier this afternoon, saying both my shocks were in pristine condition and did not need any re-work doing. While I beam when people with mileages around 100k say they never have bothered with their shocks, I wonder why some others say shocks will be looking for a new lease of life around the 35-40k'ish miles...

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    Good suspension is worth a big handful of BHP. You can have the craziest performance motor between two wheels, but if you can't put the power down because the bike is still unsettled .... then it's no good to you.

In real world terms (so getting away from the macho talk of 'getting the power down' .. ) picture yourself on a bumpy back road and you're just tipping your bike into a corner that has a rippled / repaired / deteriorated/ cambered surface. You want to get on the gas as early as you can, just by a hairs width, and gently squeeze on the gas and pick up the drive through the corner. The time that you can't do that, is when yer bike is still trying to deal with the road surface. It doesn't want power now if it's still hopping and bumping and wallowing.

But if you've got good quality suspension, you will float over all that crap, and you'll be able to pick up the gas like you want to mid turn, and drive the bike through the corner and out.

If you like a good old back b road hoon, yes fancy exhausts and all that malarky (I have one too ..!!) but great suspension will always win the day ...
    Wisdom from a crap photographer!!

Sorry Giles , , couldn't resist!

Bastard ....

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post

I'm going with this line of thinking.

So recently came home with Maxton units on my RS12.

Looking forward to 2017 (no I'm not a 365/24/7 rider and its frosty out there this morning)
    Carpe Diem!

How can you tell? It goes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123